Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2007, 10:58 AM   #341
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I'm sure your custom bannana wraps fit better than plastic ones Sergei! Can't wait to see the paint. Is it still warm where you are?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:37 AM   #342
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Marc:

We’ve had an unseasonably warm October. I was back in Toronto a couple of weeks ago, renovating a deck, and it was 32 Celsius, 90F!

The weather returned to normal this week however and I had to erect a roll up door on my work shed. Once we’ve finished the lighting at the rear, we’ll snug up the tarp.

Name:   shed.jpg
Views: 2462
Size:  52.1 KB

We also winterized the trailer this week, something I hadn’t thought I would be doing this year. This will be my THIRD winter in Port Bruce!

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:24 PM   #343
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
A couple shots of the bumper box we built

All aluminum lined, weather protected stainless steel piano hinge, 1/8” aluminum lid - which will have fastening devices added after we paint the trailer.

Name:   bumper finished.jpg
Views: 2347
Size:  36.7 KB

Name:   bumper open.jpg
Views: 2281
Size:  43.8 KB

The trailer body will be BLACK below the belt line but I like the cool, natural look of the aluminum box and it will remain unpainted.

The bumper will be polished and then coated (as will the lid) with the POR 15 clear-coat product GLISTEN.

Sergei
Old 10-28-2007, 08:16 PM   #344
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
While DavidsonOverlander’s furniture worked perfectly when we did a dry fit last summer, the under-bed drawers wouldn’t fit when it came to the final install this week.

Somehow the frames had warped in storage.

On a couple days notice, Grant took a day off his school teaching job, drove two hours each way and stayed here all day Friday until we overcame the problem.

Name:   grant.jpg
Views: 2202
Size:  33.9 KB

I want to publicly thank Grant; not only for the beautiful furniture he built but also for all the help he’s been since day one of this project.

Name:   bed frame.jpg
Views: 2303
Size:  31.2 KB

This is the mid ship gaucho ready for the all-new upholstery which will be made in the next few weeks.

Name:   mid gaucho.jpg
Views: 2219
Size:  30.4 KB

The whole experience put me in mind of the late Frank Wiltsie.

When Frank started what would become a significant local enterprise, WILTSIE TRUCK BODIES, almost 60 years ago, it was a wood windows shop - opened just as aluminum windows hit the market.

In his Elgin County manner Frank puffed “them’s just a fad” but got lucky when the local Carnation Milk plant came along asking him to build a couple of truck bodies. The rest is history, as they say.

Later, Frank was overheard telling his friend, the lumber merchant Milt Craig, “Don’t mind buildin’ in aluminum and steel. She don’t shrink none”.

Sergei
Old 10-30-2007, 08:24 PM   #345
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
New LED lamps all around

If everything goes as well as its been going we should have the new exterior lighting finished tomorrow.

Two of the original 30 years old pigtails had breaks in the insulation RIGHT AT THE ALUMINUM SHELL.

Name:   3 led.jpg
Views: 2273
Size:  32.3 KB

By chance I stumbled upon Liquid Electrical Tape at an auto supply store last week. It saved the day.

Name:   can.jpg
Views: 2327
Size:  28.2 KB

In addition to the 12 new LED clearance lights we are installing LED tail and turn lamps.

I learned here on the forum that you could modify commonly available LED sets, sold as Submersible Boat Trailer Lamps, to fit the 4 1/2” vintage Monarch lamps on our trailers.

It was easy to trim down the guts of the LED set to fit our housing.

Name:   cut.jpg
Views: 2256
Size:  42.2 KB

Name:   housing.jpg
Views: 2208
Size:  43.3 KB

Later,

Sergei
Old 11-01-2007, 08:47 PM   #346
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Iconic Shape

One of the many things I like about the iconic shape of the ARGOSY is the cast aluminum pieces that hold some of the running lights and reflectors.

This week, 15 months after removing them to strip the paint off the shell, it was good to remount the castings.

Name:   stanchion.jpg
Views: 2125
Size:  28.0 KB

Note how wonderfully they hug the body. Classic original design and engineering.

Name:   led stan.jpg
Views: 2208
Size:  24.4 KB

I’m looking forward to the final paint job now.

Sergei
Old 11-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #347
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
This is the control panel and LG lcd TV, on the wall to your left as you enter. Galley in front of you. Front lounge to the right.

The LG fridge will go in the space between the wall and the pull out cupboard.

Name:   1.jpg
Views: 2225
Size:  30.2 KB

Turn left to mid-ship space; gaucho on one side, wardrobe and pull out desk behind sliding doors on the other. Bath at rear.

Name:   2.jpg
Views: 2289
Size:  31.3 KB

The Control Panel left to right: Micro Pulse Systems Monitor (with water pump switch), toggle switches for door and step lights, yard light, power to diesel fuel gauge. AC and DC voltage meters.

Toggles for the three heat circulation fans in the trailer. Large black toggle switch is ON/OFF for the Webasto Diesel Furnace. Fuel gauge for under floor diesel tank.

Name:   3.jpg
Views: 2195
Size:  17.5 KB

I’m going to Toronto for a few days to work on a simpler renovation, a deck. When I come back I’ll wire the control panel so that we can heat the trailer while working on more final details.

Sergei
Old 11-03-2007, 05:57 PM   #348
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Mobile Office

This is the slide-out desk idea I borrowed, with permission, from Zeppelinium.

Click image for larger version

Name:	desk.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	48630

It is actually an adapted IKEA wardrobe unit that stands floor to ceiling between the galley and the bath at mid-ship.

Slide doors to the right for the wardrobe, left for the office area complete with desk, lamp and window. The sliding doors can close over both areas when desired, as in travel.

A laser printer will ride in the pull-out drawer under the desk.

Sergei
Old 11-05-2007, 11:57 AM   #349
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Sergei,

It is looking very nice. I can well imagine that you are looking forward to finishing the renovations so you can go on your first cruise.

Malcolm
Old 11-05-2007, 02:43 PM   #350
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
San Andreas , California
lamp

Sergei,
I like the new lights. I looked at Ikea on line and found one called Lock. Is that the same one ?
Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lock.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	48745  
kontiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:14 PM   #351
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Jim, that’s the one.

My bath is floor to ceiling epoxy WHITE with frosted glass shower stall splash back, window and cabinet fronts so this lamp really looks cool in that setting.

See above for how I changed out the 110v innards using the old 12v ones from the Argosy.

Sergei
Old 11-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #352
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Finished on the outside, ready for painting

Like so many parts of the ARGOSY renewal the deck job in Toronto turned out to be more than I bargained for.

A roof was rotten under the old deck. I had to tarp it up in the rain, probably until warmer weather returns this spring.

Back in Port Bruce, the trailer is finished on the outside, ready for painting.

I don’t think I will do that for several weeks however. My tarpaulin work shed is semi permanent and I’d have to dismantle part of it to get the trailer out.

Still to go on the inside: giving the final go ahead for the upholstery, installing the front lounge furniture, a shelf and extractor fan over the galley counter, wiring the instrument panel.

And small details: a trim piece here, a baseboard there, putting the fridge in place, that kind of thing.

I’ll start with the panel wiring once I get back, probably tomorrow.

Sergei
Old 11-09-2007, 07:01 PM   #353
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Looks good Sergei, I wanted to get finished before winter this year but it just isn't going to happen. The small things really take a lot of time. Good luck. Maybe if we finish around the same time next spring we can get together for a weekend.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:53 AM   #354
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
on the way to Newfoundland.....

For sure, Marvin.

Come spring, I’ll stop off in Peterborough on the way to Newfoundland. But at the pace you’ve been keeping, you may have already decamped!

Sergei
Old 11-11-2007, 01:20 PM   #355
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
This is the easily modified LED tail light set referred to in #345 above.

Name:	LED.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	49167

I recycled all the parts of the set, such as the license and side marker LED, to give me: 2 STOP/TURN lamps, 2 yellow side markers, an overhead door lamp and step lights.

Canadian members can find these at Princess Auto, on sale for $54.00.

Sergei
Old 11-16-2007, 08:07 PM   #356
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Rock Guards and Segment Protectors

I’d like to know how many ARGOSY owners have installed Rock Guards (for the curved front windows) and/or Segment Protectors ( for the lower front body) and how many haven’t.

Anybody care to chime in? Or show us how to set up a Poll??

Curious,

Sergei
Old 11-16-2007, 08:16 PM   #357
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
One for the rock guards . . . .

We installed window rock guards on our '75 Argy - we figured that this would be more economical than replacing the glass (even though the original owners manual suggests that the glass is break resistant ) As well, we always seem to have bad glass karma as we always seem to take a rock . . .
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:27 PM   #358
Certifiable

. , .
"No" on both type of guards.

"Yes" as to mud flaps on TV.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:39 PM   #359
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Well, I SHOULD put rock protectors on the front, but have not. I really like being able to see through the trailer, but do worry about getting a rock. I'm hoping the width of my van and the short rear overhang help protect it. I have gotten dings on the lower parts, but am not worrying about it. My Argy came with cam twists to put a vinyl window protector on.... seems stock to me. I want to make a padded one out of Sunbrella fabric, with a clear vinyl window in the center so that I'm both protected and can see. I think a sail maker should be able to help me out... or I might just do it myself.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:03 PM   #360
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
I’d like to know how many ARGOSY owners have installed Rock Guards (for the curved front windows) and/or Segment Protectors ( for the lower front body) and how many haven’t.

Anybody care to chime in? Or show us how to set up a Poll??

Curious,

Sergei
We installed Rock Guards because they are about $200 less than 1 curved glass replacement. The last one I saw went for $550 and that is if you can find the glass. I want to put Segment Protectors on, but the curve on the segments is different on a Minuet. I will be putting them on the 24' Rear Door.