Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2008, 06:35 AM   #401
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
to thread followers with ARGOSY knowledge:

Is the LENS for the exterior overhead door lamp available?

From whom? How much?

Thanks,

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:22 AM   #402
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hi Sergei, Sorry to hear about your luck this winter with all the snow and moving. What I did with the lens is, I got a piece of plexiglass the same thickness and used the old one for a pattern and cut out a new one.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:28 AM   #403
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Bob made a new lens out of plexiglas for both our Argosy and the Sovereign. It's easy and after what you've already done, it should be a snap for you. Of course I know you'll come up with something spectacular compared to our Okie covers, but you always do.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:58 PM   #404
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Juel, Marvin – thanks.

I didn’t have the original lens but managed to make a paper pattern.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pattern.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	56106

I cut the new lens from a small piece of Lexan costing $2.50.

The whole job was done before Can Am got back to me with their $6.50 price.

Name:	door lite.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	56107

That’s not unreasonable but the travel back and forth would have taken 2 or 3 hours.

I’m glad that I'd received your tip first.

Sergei
Old 03-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #405
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Looks great. I knew you could do it I like the rippled look too.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:32 AM   #406
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
another idea! {swipe!}

didn't know you could cut lexan that easily w/ a jigsaw.

How do you get the "crackly" look? or did the piece come that way?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #407
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Chuck,

I called the glass place for you. The LEXAN product is called Protect-A-Glaze. The dimpled effect is built into the stuff. It’s about 1/16” thick.

Sergei
Old 03-13-2008, 04:34 PM   #408
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
aw, geez, ya didn't need to go to that trouble! but thanks, I appreciate it.
do you think they'd have it at the big orange box?

I've been "goin' commando" on my porch light for...oh, I don't know...probably several seasons. been worried that its an excellent spot for some critter to build a nest...but so far, so good.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #409
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Help Keep Austin Weird

Marcus,

Thanks again for the encouragement.

Things are already looking better. Vince, a school bus driver living in the village has been helping me with things during March Break.

Name:	vince.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	56190

Here, we are skinning the instrument panel wall.

We’ve got a lot done. I’ll be able to pull outta here and go straight to the paint shop by month’s end.

I’ll be in TEXAS next winter for sure. We’ll HELP KEEP AUSTIN WEIRD over a couple of good beers.

Is the Pecan Grove still going or is it sadly gone now?

Sergei
Old 03-14-2008, 07:47 PM   #410
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
The Pecan Grove RV Park is there and going strong last I checked, Sergei, although with its prime location you are clearly aware that sadly, it won't last forever. Still, we should all enjoy it now for the anachronism that it is.

Just to warn you, I've already read through your thread several times, but there are a few questions that I'd like some details on, and I hope I've been suitably diligent in my research that I won't be asking you to repeat yourself again and again. I'll most likely stockpile them and drop them on you like a bomb, but the first one that comes immediately to mind is this:

In several instances, you mention coating various surfaces in "plasticoat." Specifically, I think you did this for the aluminum backsplash in the galley, and perhaps for some of the bathroom parts as well? From the context, I've gathered that you likely took the parts to your friends over at the Truck Body (and One Ring Circus ) shop, and they sprayed on some type of clearcoat. I'm interested in reproducing that as closely as possible, and was wondering if you might be able to tell me the name of the product you used, and how it was applied?

Thanks for your guidance, and best of luck on your continued project. It seems like you really are close to getting the whole thing off to paint, and that must be incredibly exciting!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:09 PM   #411
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Things have turned around

Thanks for your continuing interest and the good wishes Marc.

Things have turned around in a way that I couldn’t have imagined just a month ago.

Work on the trailer is now “ substantially complete”, as they say in the construction industry. I’ll be pulling out of here, headed for the Wiltsie paint booth, before the end of the month.

For that I need my truck.

Work on the deck had just begun over at Berkelmans Welding when my troubles struck. I put a temporary stop to things then.

Name:	truck deck.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	56257

On Monday I’ll fetch the truck, correct the mistakes a local RV place made installing my brake control, then make several practice loops around the village.

I’ve never pulled a trailer before so, while you imagine that I’m just itching to get on the road, I’m actually pretty nervous about it.

While the trailer is being painted, Berklemans will get back to work on the truck.

Wiltsie didn’t get my truck deck job. Bill Berkelmans had a MUCH better price for the same work.

Sergei
Old 03-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #412
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
Things have turned around in a way that I couldn’t have imagined just a month ago.
Sergei
That's great news, Sergei. I can't wait to see it again.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:12 PM   #413
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Hey Sergei - I don't think you'll have any issues pulling or stopping your truck with the trailer. That diesel should pull just fine.

I'm not sure of the length of your hitch, but I'd be REAL careful backing up or taking sharp turns. You may want to see just how "jackknifed" you can get in a parking situation before the corners of your truck's deck get too close to your trailer corners. I've seen box trucks that have dented an Argosy or two negotiating sharp corners. Don't want that to happen to you!

Best!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:46 PM   #414
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello Sergei.... Glad to see you at the finish line... we just checked Costalotta today and will be picking up new axles next month from Henchen in Jackson Center Ohio.... can hardly wait
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #415
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Protective Top Coat

Marcus:

In used TREMCLAD Protective Top Coat, available in an aerosol can at hardware or auto supply dealers. The SATIN formula gives a nice, dull finish.

Tremclad in Canada = RUSTOLEUM in the USA. (I think it’s the same ownership).

I don’t know how it will stand up in the end. It looks good and tough but we’ll see.

It’s not always easy to work with aerosols so having things done professionally, or at least with an air gun, is probably preferable. I wanted to experiment. Fast and inexpensive.

Sergei
Old 03-18-2008, 08:24 AM   #416
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Cottage Industry

We built the last remaining significant piece, as often, on the kitchen table. It’s the sub structure for the combination shelf/ extractor fan for the galley.

Name:	kitchen table.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	56481

(Boatdoc is undoubtedly right when he says things are easier when you have a shop and proper tools).

I’m spending the rest of the week in Toronto on another project but next week the “temporary” work shed comes down and we move the Argosy to Wilstsie Truck Bodies were it will be painted.

This long phase of the “contemporization” is finally done.

Sergei
Old 03-19-2008, 07:35 AM   #417
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
Marcus:

In used TREMCLAD Protective Top Coat, available in an aerosol can at hardware or auto supply dealers. The SATIN formula gives a nice, dull finish...

Sergei
Thanks for the info, Sergei. I have used the Rustoleum clearcoat for various projects in the past and have been pleased with the results. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't hold up for your applications.

Okay, I told you I had a few more questions, so here goes:

1) I know that you "hogged out" the sides of the Ikea cabinets in order to minimize the weight, and that you covered the exposed sides with white aluminum skin, so I'm wondering what was your source for those pre-treated white aluminum panels? Due to their minimal weight and clean finish, I believe they are the key to making a successful Ikea cabinet conversion for a trailer application.

2) Where your cabinets butt against each other and various bulkheads/walls, I understand how the white aluminum sheets work. However, when the sides of the cabinets were exposed, how did you affix and treat the aluminum panels? Specifically, I'm thinking about your tall cabinet in the bathroom, which had a large exposed surface area next to the shorter cabinet that supported your sink (mixing bowl ).

3) You created a sandwich bulkhead on the curbside to house the pocket door between the bath and bedroom, as well as housing various systems including parts of the split air unit, and you showed some great detailed shots of that. But what I never really saw were detailed shots of the streetside where the pocket door presumably lathes closed. I know that you have your tall Ikea bathroom cabinet, and then the side of the modified Ikea wardrobe, but did you create a similar bulkhead as on the curbside, between the tall bath cabinet and the wardrobe, with some type of hardware to accept the pocket door latch? Or, did you find another way to keep the pocket door closed? I don't think I ever saw any detailed shots of this area of your trailer, or perhaps I just missed them...

I think that's it for now, and I'm looking forward to seeing the Argosy when it comes back from paint.

-Marcus
Old 03-21-2008, 04:00 PM   #418
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
information for Marcus

UT:

1. The aluminum sheeting used was .040, pre-painted white one side. Truck body builders often use it for building things like cube vans. I bought it from Wiltsie’s here, who cut it to size for me.

It’s important to use the kind that has a protective film over the paint. You peel it off once the sheet is installed.

It scratches easier than I thought so I painted it again with white Melamine after installation. If you use those small foam rollers, sometimes called a German roller, you get a very nice finish.

2. On the wall between the sink and the cabinet I used a sheet of plain aluminum, sprayed with Tremclad to get a satin finish. On the bulkhead wall between the pull-out pantry and the mid gaucho, I painted the aluminum skin with eggshell finish latex house paint.

3. Next week, when I’m back in Port Bruce, I’ll take a picture of the vanity wall and of the pocket door assembly. The pocket door rolls out and stops against a 1/8” aluminum channel, about 8” wide. You’ll understand it better when I post the photos.

S
Old 03-24-2008, 08:03 AM   #419
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thanks Sergei, your descriptions help a lot. I look forward to seeing your pictures of the completed project, and maybe even seeing you and your coach in person if/when you come through Austin.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:15 PM   #420
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
The Beginning of the End

Name:	shed .jpg
Views:	137
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	57023

Wayne and Vince, two neighbors, helped take the work shed down on Monday.

Name:	vince and wayne.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	57024

On Friday I will take the trailer to the paint shop. Wayne is going to give me "trailer pulling" lessons before then.

On Monday I move out of Port Bruce.

Sergei