Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2018, 01:00 PM   #1
SMK
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Marshall , Michigan
Argosy 24' Restore Thread

Restoration of our 24' twin bed rear bath Argosy is underway. I'm opening this thread to capture some images and share the ride.

I purchased the trailer summer 17. I brought in a contractor specializing in trailer restorations to look it over with me. It was in an RV storage lot and sold by the family to liquidate an estate. We checked it over for rot and checked systems as best we could. The trailer seemed solid with a small soft spot by the door and extreme rear. We decided to close the deal and I aired up the tires and we drove it out.

Last week restoration started. I'm hiring out the heavy lifting of addressing any rot, systems restoration, bathroom refresh, and new flooring. After moving every couple years for most of my adult life and remodeling more houses than I have fingers and toes I figured I'd take a break. While kind of, I own and operate a 200 ac farm so there is always plenty of things to do and broken equipment to fix anyway.

The first thing I did was place an order for new torsion axels and rims. I have zero interest in long distance travel with tired 40+ year old axels and brakes.

Finish flooring is out. Shower pan is out. Water tanks will be dropped for inspection and repair. Range works, AC works, furnace works. Plumbing is shot so I don't know if the water heater works. It's LP only and I think I would be better off replacing it with a combination LP & electric heater. The first priority is safety. The second is a hot shower.

I'm interested in seeing shower restoration ideas. I'm checking to see if a local fab shop can make me a stainless shower pan. I'm interested in using stainless in the shower and replacing the factory lime green kitchen counters with stainless.

Somewhere I saw a thread on using birch veneer to redo the cabinets. I'd like that but the existing veneer is in great shape so maybe not. New flooring, counters, wall finish and fabric refresh would do an awful lot in the appearance dept.

I'm not interested in taking the interior walls back to aluminum. How have others refreshed the vynil wall covering? Paint, replace?

Suggestions, comments, pics welcome.

All for now,

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5283.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	303479   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5282.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	303480  

Name:	IMG_5285.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	303481   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5284.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	303482  

SMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:04 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Where did you order your axles from? And did you have to do further modifications to the frame to put new axles on? I have 1974 26' and also need axles replacement.
luforia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
SMK
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Marshall , Michigan
Torsion axels from Inland RV. They bolt into place.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:33 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK View Post
Torsion axels from Inland RV. They bolt into place.

Thanks. How long did it take from order to delivery? I am in San Diego and could drive up to them to pick up to save on shipping cost.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:17 PM   #5
SMK
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Marshall , Michigan
It's been awhile since I bought them. It seems like it took about three weeks, but I think they were back ordered at that time.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:21 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
It's been awhile since I bought them. It seems like it took about three weeks, but I think they were back ordered at that time.
Thanks. Andy doesn't work there any more and the new business owners/staff don't seem to know as much about Airstreams when I called and asked about details.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:26 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
marine , Minnesota
Quote:
Restoration of our 24' twin bed rear bath Argosy is underway. I'm opening this thread to capture some images and share the ride.

I purchased the trailer summer 17. I brought in a contractor specializing in trailer restorations to look it over with me. It was in an RV storage lot and sold by the family to liquidate an estate. We checked it over for rot and checked systems as best we could. The trailer seemed solid with a small soft spot by the door and extreme rear. We decided to close the deal and I aired up the tires and we drove it out.

Last week restoration started. I'm hiring out the heavy lifting of addressing any rot, systems restoration, bathroom refresh, and new flooring. After moving every couple years for most of my adult life and remodeling more houses than I have fingers and toes I figured I'd take a break. While kind of, I own and operate a 200 ac farm so there is always plenty of things to do and broken equipment to fix anyway.

The first thing I did was place an order for new torsion axels and rims. I have zero interest in long distance travel with tired 40+ year old axels and brakes.

Finish flooring is out. Shower pan is out. Water tanks will be dropped for inspection and repair. Range works, AC works, furnace works. Plumbing is shot so I don't know if the water heater works. It's LP only and I think I would be better off replacing it with a combination LP & electric heater. The first priority is safety. The second is a hot shower.

I'm interested in seeing shower restoration ideas. I'm checking to see if a local fab shop can make me a stainless shower pan. I'm interested in using stainless in the shower and replacing the factory lime green kitchen counters with stainless.

Somewhere I saw a thread on using birch veneer to redo the cabinets. I'd like that but the existing veneer is in great shape so maybe not. New flooring, counters, wall finish and fabric refresh would do an awful lot in the appearance dept.

I'm not interested in taking the interior walls back to aluminum. How have others refreshed the vynil wall covering? Paint, replace?

Suggestions, comments, pics welcome.

All for now,

Scott
Hi scott, Im restoring (frame up) a 63 safari, found rust in frame (reweld and epoxie primer) sounds like your doing a significant restore. I would highly recommend ; pex for plumbing, new wire and plastic holding tanks. the resale on these trailers are significant to do a thuro job and document work with pics. Like they say if your going to spend money it might as well be a lot! Dan Lee Scandia MN
leedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:47 PM   #8
SMK
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Marshall , Michigan
Progress Update

Some progress notes from yesterday.

Frame looks good and so does the deck. Frame build is heavier than I thought it would be.

Not surprising the rear bath deck area does show decay along the back edge so the bath is gutted and a new marine plywood deck will be installed throughout the bathroom. Our plan is to restore the bathroom in essentially the original configuration.

New torsion axels from Inland RV are ready for install.

Five new Michelin tires will be mounted tomorrow on five new steel rims also from Inland RV.

All new plumbing and gas lines being installed now. PEX plumbing, black pipe for gas.

All tanks being pulled and inspected. Will replace as needed.

Dometic fridge is working fine. Will clean and continue using it.

Considering installing new LP and electric hot water heater.

Original water pump working. I like the old pump. Nice quality electric motor driving a separate pump unit by belt. Will research keeping this and think about it before I take it out.

Decided to use Marmoleum for finish floor and replace counters with new laminate.

Found a contractor who paints planes and semis to come give a bid on exterior prep and paint.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5297.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	303609   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5307.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	303610  

Name:	IMG_5305.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	303611   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5304.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	368.9 KB
ID:	303612  

Old 02-05-2018, 08:50 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Some progress notes from yesterday.

Frame looks good and so does the deck. Frame build is heavier than I thought it would be.

Not surprising the rear bath deck area does show decay along the back edge so the bath is gutted and a new marine plywood deck will be installed throughout the bathroom. Our plan is to restore the bathroom in essentially the original configuration.

New torsion axels from Inland RV are ready for install.

Five new Michelin tires will be mounted tomorrow on five new steel rims also from Inland RV.

All new plumbing and gas lines being installed now. PEX plumbing, black pipe for gas.

All tanks being pulled and inspected. Will replace as needed.

Dometic fridge is working fine. Will clean and continue using it.

Considering installing new LP and electric hot water heater.

Original water pump working. I like the old pump. Nice quality electric motor driving a separate pump unit by belt. Will research keeping this and think about it before I take it out.

Decided to use Marmoleum for finish floor and replace counters with new laminate.

Found a contractor who paints planes and semis to come give a bid on exterior prep and paint.
I wonder if we are talking about the same Inland RV, you are referring to the one in California, right?
Old 02-06-2018, 06:45 AM   #10
SMK
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Marshall , Michigan
My axels came from Inland RV in CA. There is a notch in the frame the axels fit into. The new axels are a little wider than the originals so this notch has to be made a bit larger to accommodate them. Not a big deal and it's good the axels are more robust. Andy said I could expect the trailer to sit a couple inches higher once on the new axels. That's also a good thing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5310.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	303657   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5303.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	303658  

Old 02-19-2018, 04:58 PM   #11
SMK
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Marshall , Michigan
Progress Update

Here is a rundown on what has been accomplished.

Deck repaired. Section of rear bath and entry door deck replaced. Floor deck is solid as a rock.

New torsion axels, shocks, rims and Michelin trailer rated tires installed. Trailer sits nicely now and should ride like new.

Black water tank removed and inspected.

Dump valves rebuilt.

All plumbing replaced with PEX and hot and cold drains added to make it easy to clear lines and winterize.

Gas lines replaced.

Hot water heater replaced with dual LP and electric model.

Trailer pig tail replaced and all connections housed inside an electrical box up under the belly pan.

Frame inspected and new belly pan installed.

Subfloor laid for flooring.

Bathroom primed.

New progressive Dynamics Mighty Mite 60 amp service and battery charger installed.

Battery connections replaced. Planning to install multiple 12V batteries.

New license plate holder/light purchased.

New radio antenna purchased. Love the OEM Motorola radio. I'm hopeful I can use a patch cord to run my smart phone thru it as a source.

A number of things have been ordered and will be arriving soon.

These include:
Cork flooring from ICork. Silver birch pattern 6 mm thickness. It is a light attractive color, soft under foot, insulates, and withstands contact with water very well.

New Command Air 15,000 BTU A/C and electric heat pump.

New Suburban 22" LP match light range. Went with match light ignition to avoid issues with electronic ignition.

Elkay 21" 18 ga undermount sink with lustertone finish.

Kohler Simplicity kitchen faucet.

Decided to go with butcher block kitchen counters.

Having black walnut from my farm made into a new bathroom counter and dinette table. Bath cabinets will be maple with spalted maple cabinet doors.

Bath sink will be white counter top vessel type with Kohler Archtype faucet.

Porcelain toilet.

Interior walls will be Benjamin Moore Simply White.

30 gallon aluminum propane tanks purchased.

Crypton chenille upholstery fabric purchased to redo seat cushions.

Still looking at sourcing curtains.

In process of getting bids for exterior paint.

Attached is a pic of the upholstery fabric. Went with a dark color for a bold contrast with the white walls and to tie in both the existing faux walnut factory cabinets and the real wood I am bringing into the interior. The lighter tones will tie in the floor and butcher block counters. Going for a un updated Zen Spa look...lol.

Prices for the major items varied widely from retailers. I researched quite a bit to find what would be best for my application. Then I shopped suppliers. I could have easily spent 40% or more for many of the larger items. It pays to shop around.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:42 AM   #12
SMK
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Marshall , Michigan
Upholstery pic

This is the upholstery for the dinett
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5420.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	304587  
Old 02-20-2018, 07:19 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
This is the upholstery for the dinett

Wow, talk about going all out. Did you do it all yourself or outsourced it? Please share more photos of your finished projects.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Where did you get your upolustery? How's the rebuild going?
Old 03-07-2018, 07:58 PM   #15
SMK
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Marshall , Michigan
Update Pics

Couple pics showing the cork flooring in progress. All the demo, repair, and systems have been updated. New 60 amp service and charger installled. New Suburban range and dual LP/electric water heater installed. Rebuilt the original diaphragm pump. New Command Air AC/heat pump ordered. New Suburban furnace and thermostat installed. Butcher block kitchen counter going in with Elkay lustertone undermount sink and Kohler faucet.

Walnut and maple bath cabinet nearing completion. Walnut dinette table also about finished.

Have an agreement with a custom painter experienced with aluminum to paint the exterior Silver Ice Metallic with black underside and blue lettering.

Upholstery was an EBay purchase.

Looking for a source to have drapes made.

Lots of smaller things done and more to go, but definitely fun to see it come back together.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5473.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	305902   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5476.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	305903  

Name:	IMG_5474.JPG
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	305904   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5475.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	305905  

Old 03-14-2018, 06:56 PM   #16
SMK
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Marshall , Michigan
Progress Update

Pics of some of the finish work. These pics show the first coat of poly on the cork floor.

The main color for the trailer will be Chevy Silver Ice Metallic. I had planned to go with blue accent stripes, lettering, and awning. Having some thoughts about going silver with black letters and black awning instead.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5485.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	306349   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5486.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	306350  

Name:	IMG_5487.jpg
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	306351  
Old 03-14-2018, 09:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
That's looking great!
Old 03-15-2018, 02:33 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
2021 27' Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quote:

Looking for a source to have drapes made.
We have a '76 28' Center Bath Argosy. We are in the process of having a local tailor make us new drapes, since we don't have any sewing skills/equipment. They are also making new seat cushions for the front gaucho. The old curtains were made by the previous owner and had the tabs half sewn/half glued on, so they were not a great template.

Since we didn't have a good plan for what we wanted, there has been a lot of back and forth, so far. We weren't sure how the tabs go and good spacing for them. (I have a thread asking for some guidance on this still). So, if you have a good template or a detailed description of how to have them made, then any good tailor shop would be able to do them, since they are just a panel with some slides sewn in.

We got fabric and blackout backing from JoAnn (check website for coupons before you go), and the slides from Vintage Trailer Supply (had best price, but come in packs of 25).
steve0white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:56 AM   #19
SMK
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Marshall , Michigan
Thanks, I'll check out your thread on the curtains. Our factory curtains had been replaced as well. We have the rails, but have not put them back in yet. It's something I need to look at more closely. Would be nice to have them made while the trailer is in the paint shop.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:05 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
2021 27' Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quote:
Thanks, I'll check out your thread on the curtains. Our factory curtains had been replaced as well. We have the rails, but have not put them back in yet. It's something I need to look at more closely. Would be nice to have them made while the trailer is in the paint shop.
Looks like we are just down the road from you in Grand Rapids. Not sure if you would want to drive out this far for curtains, but the shop I used now has some experience under their belt. Let me know and I can give you more info.

Here's a picture of our test panel:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3356.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	306432  
steve0white is offline   Reply With Quote