Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2006, 10:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Osceola , Missouri
Smile The Newbie

Hello.Just bought a 1974 31' Sovereign LandYacht. I think it is what you call a rear-twin? It will be a rear-full/queen (whichever fits best) when I am done with it.

Her name is StreamBoat Annie. (I can explain, if needed). Not sure of anything but she was in great shape...except for the interior. Looks like parts of her have been replaced with other Airstream parts. Doesn't matter, my Mom and I gutted the bedroom and the living room and will be gutting the kitchen next. We will be customizing it rather than renovating to original. I'm on a budget and simply can't afford to restore. My Pa is pretty handy with just about anything and I'm hoping to sweet-talk him into some prettier, more functional cupboards, anyway. Pa is working outside to get my homesite ready - my husband (who is in Saudia Arabia right now) and I are building a house and I will be living in Annie through the Midwest winter...which is predicted to be hard this year.

Construction has stopped, but I've been camped out in a pop-up the last 6 months and just wanted more space. The price was right and condition was great on Annie (compared to about 20 other trailers we looked at!). Pa has connected below and above ground permanent RV hookups for electrical, septic and water - all insulated and taken care of. He's also leveled and graveled where Annie will sit. I found some brushed twill at $4.44 per yard at WalMart, of all places!

I will be making curtains and will allow them to hang, rather than using the track system I will be removing tomorrow. It is bent in some places, has popped rivets in others and is broken, too. I know I can re-do the track system, but I don't want to mess with it for now and expense is an issue. I bought tongue and groove hardwood flooring at Lowe's today. Pa is planning to seal the plywood floors before putting this floating floor on it - is this a good idea?

There is a small bit of leak damage in the back bedroom from condensation from an unsealed window - that will be fixed. I also bought a latex semigloss to paint the less-than-stellar walls. They are very dirty below the guts we took out, including a bit of mildew from the before-mentioned condensation. The walls themselves are in great shape except one broken panel at the front. They are also a variety of colors from sand to tan and looks like some were replacements due to the uneven coloring.

Shower stall is damaged on the seat, Pa will look that over and repair it if he can, if not - I hope I can find a replacement. We plan to re-do the lavatory, counter and shower with the two part epoxy paint. The kitchen stove works but the fridge (Dometic gas and electric) does not.

We've been assured the furnace works, too. Pa will check all systems and repair as needed. Also - have any of you ever thought about or done a tankless water heater for an RV? Both gas and electric are available. I plan to KEEP the old system, but thought since I'm hooking into an unlimited water supply and electricity that maybe while I'm NOT on the road, I can have unlimited hot water, TOO. I love my long hot showers and hate giving them up. I plan to go read the winterizing forum next, so will get ideas from them, too.

Any particular problems I need to be on the lookout for? Thank you!Merry
Merry Stahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:14 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Osceola , Missouri
Good GRIEF! I don't blame anyone if they don't want to read that! I typed it with paragraphs and easy to read and it posted one long run on!

I'm so sorry. Had no idea it would do that.

Merry
Old 09-30-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your Airstream!

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you! Wow! May I suggest, if you are considering discarding some of the removed parts... if they are even reasonably intact you might post them in the classifieds (free) many times folks will gladly purchase them ... especially if they are looking for that part! 1974 is awhile back, so the "hunters" might be out there!

I would use the search tool on the blue toolbar and look for winterizing, etc. Airstreams do have "issues" with being hard to keep warm and dry in the winter... We keep ours in our garage so we are fairly "clueless" about what happens in winter...

Post pictures... we love pictures of projects!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
I kinda fell sleepy

Merry,

You were on target in regards to your post being long, but no apology necessary. It is nice to see newbies who are excited about their new best friend. Good luck and post some pictures for us as you progress.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:57 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Osceola , Missouri
The gaucho unit was in sorry shape, had been badly repaired and all the plastic bins were broken at the corners, bottom and top. The twin beds were also badly damaged - duct-taped together...sigh. The soiled mattresses will serve as insulation for other projects. The table was de-laminating and the piano hinge had mostly stripped screws. Pa salivated and then claimed all the aluminum despite its condition. Pa is a master carpenter, electronics and electric technician, machinist, and general jack-of-all-trades. He already has hot plans for the broken table pieces - some kind of tabletop for some electric saw thing. Nothing is EVER tossed around here, except the shattered curtains and the mildew stained bed coverings. ~ Merry
Old 09-30-2006, 10:59 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Osceola , Missouri
I'm off to read the posts on how to post pictures that have no URL (straight from the file on my computer). I'll be back when I figure that out...~ Merry
Old 09-30-2006, 11:05 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Osceola , Missouri
Okay, searching bottom of site for the "manage attachments" thingie so I can post photos...no finding it. Maybe if I put on my glasses...~Merry
Old 09-30-2006, 11:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Posting pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Stahel
I'm off to read the posts on how to post pictures that have no URL (straight from the file on my computer). I'll be back when I figure that out...~ Merry
Merry,

When you use the "advanced" button to post you will be able to post pictures. Simply type your information in the regular window, then scroll down to the additional options and see the "manage attachments" button. It will then pop up a new window and allow you to choose pics from your hard drive and post online. The only thing, if your pictures are a large size you might have to reduce the size. Usually you can post 3 pictures at a time, then it will sometimes wig out on you... at least I have had trouble trying to post more than 3 at a time. My hubby says he knows how, but hasn't gotten around to showing me!

Good luck! Anxious to see stuff! Glad to hear your Dad is good at repairs and salvage! My hubby is too!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:17 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Osceola , Missouri
Thanks Mrs. NorCal Bambi!

StreamBoat Annie arrives at home...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 9-26-2006 002-1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	26446  
Old 09-30-2006, 11:21 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Osceola , Missouri
More pics

This is Annie's front...to the left of the truck is the foundation to my house...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream 9-26-2006 003-1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	26447  
Old 09-30-2006, 11:24 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Osceola , Missouri
No guts...No glory

The rear twins have been ripped out...note the condition of walls and floor - the actual leak is the window on the LEFT, not visible in this pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	StreamBoat Annie Gutting... 012-1.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	26448  
Old 09-30-2006, 11:29 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Osceola , Missouri
Living room shambles...

This is the living room after we took out the gaucho. It was positioned under the window. The gaucho's 2-piece attached cushion has been restored at least once - it was covered in a faded fabric I actually liked. However, Pa has claimed it for napping purposes when he's up at Echo Ridge, my property. The dirt on the walls may be mildew - one of the front windows appears to be cracked slightly. OH! - i think i have dual paned windows on the lower ones. There's some kind of film flaking off. ~ Merry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	StreamBoat Annie Gutting... 014-1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	26449  
Old 09-30-2006, 11:41 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Osceola , Missouri
The kitchen

The counter by the stove is sagging. The stove is rusted in areas and the oven door is lopsided. I saw Alton Brown's AS and it had a spice rack on the wall behind the stove. I'd like something similar. ~ Merry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	StreamBoat Annie Gutting... 005-1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	26450  
Old 09-30-2006, 11:54 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Osceola , Missouri
Well...

The fridge side photo doesn't want to upload - I'll check it out later. It's been resized, so shouldn't be a problem. Then again, I AM on dial-up and that may be an issue. I'm off to read a few more forums then off to BED! ~ Merry
Old 10-01-2006, 12:00 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Osceola , Missouri
The Manual

BTW, one more thing before I go. Annie came with her original manual, including a 3 page typed document on how to winterize! (Which was also in the book). The manual has been marked up by a previous owner with Annie's actual specs. There was also a very helpful booklet printed in 1977 or so on tips for RVers in general. I'll post a title and author another day. ~ Merry
Old 10-01-2006, 09:41 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Osceola , Missouri
Dang!

Well, Mom and I began gutting the fridge and cupboard area...the fridge has been on fire at least once. The exhaust, the wall of the pantry and the wall behind have been damaged. Holes have been cut into the flooring under the fridge and screened over to aid in exhaust...my Pa is shaking his head at the horror of what could've happened. Subfloor is badly damaged by leaks/condesation - we will be replacing it. Every time I did a little progress...another issue came up. Sigh. No surprises...but, I was hoping it'd be a little more operable. ~ Merry
Old 10-01-2006, 09:46 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Osceola , Missouri
Rosie The Riveter

The good news is - I can pop a rivet! Pa gave me a power drill, put the drill bit on and showed me how to to it. I made a few mistakes and had to take a chisel and hammer to little dangly bits, but I was able to smooth out the walls. Yes, I know. I'm easy to amuse. ~ Merry
Old 10-01-2006, 09:55 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Osceola , Missouri
More gutting to do...

Pa is very concerned about the propane tanks and what appears to be a shoddy job replacing or trying to fix issues. He has decided Mom and I will gut Annie completely, including the bathroom. He wants to look beneath the subfloor and check things out. He has decided we're going all electric. He'll remove the propane fixtures including the furnace. I have a fear of fire and I think he is aware of this...so he'll accommodate me on this issue (and I think he'd feel better about it, too). Our long term plans are to use Annie for camping, but just about everywhere we've ever camped has electric supply for RVs so there's not a real need for propane unless we're roughing it and that's just about impossible in a 31 foot Airsteam - some of the more rough places don't allow trailers past 24 feet! ~ Merry

Tags
1974, 31', sovereign