Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2006, 01:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Youngsville , North Carolina
Stereo Power

Hello all...

I hate to keep starting threads when my questions are not as technical as most of the ones on here...but....I'm trying to replace the stereo in my 1976 sovereign 31' and I don't have any DC voltage back behind the old stereo. I've searched the TT and I don't have a manual yet. I can't find a fuse panel anywhere. Any advice? Thanks,

Josh
Fish36991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:16 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Found it behind the front seat....sorry for asking such a newbie question.

Josh
Old 09-12-2006, 07:50 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
Smile stereo replacements

Josh -- What... you don't like the old 8-track???
You've probably ID'd everything by now, but if you're still hunting; behind the stereo pullout our power wire was Blue and the ground was White, both solid. The service manual (if you've got one) ID's the speaker wires pretty well.
We just replaced our stereo with a new unit and the only glitch was new stereo required a battery hookup and an ignition hookup. Obviously with no "ignition" we ran both to the power wire. Worked like a charm and we don't lose presets or clock time; but we do have to remember to turn off the unit. Oh and we did lose the ability to turn off the stereo from the bedroom switch. That is an original radio trick wired directly into the old Motorola. I'm still trying to figure out how to rewire the power to get that switch back; it's pretty handy.
Good luck -- Ashley.
racoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:06 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Ashley,
Thanks for the reply. The PO had changed to 8 out to a very sassy tape deck. It really broke my heart to part with the tape player but I managed to suck it up and hold back the tears. The new stereo has a aux input set up for MP3 players and that was really what I wanted. It also had a remote. Pretty soon the AS will have as many remotes as the house theater.

I did find it and get the new one installed. (pic in the photo section). My wire colors were the same. I guess the PO had wired the two back speakers together and the two fronts together. The new stereo has outputs for four speakers but I kept the wiring as is. I may want to run some speakers outlets outside on the curbside for speakers when the AS is all setup.

Josh
Old 09-12-2006, 08:38 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
Smile nice install

Josh -- Nice install (saw your pic). But where is that? Our original 8-track (and now our new unit) mounted vertically on the back side of a flip down door next to the curbside door. Like you we "updated" to this century with all the bells and whistles on a unit that does more than my home stereo.
I wired all 4 speakers on the new unit, but I like your outside speaker idea.
-- Ashley.
racoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:57 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Ashley

I mounted it through the flip down. I cut the hole to match the car dash insert (easier than it sounds) with a jig saw. Now I can see the face while lounging around in there working on other stuff. I can post more pics if you're interested but it will have to be tomorrow. I really like being able to see it. The PO had cut a hole for the old one so it would never look original so I just made it bigger to fit the new stereo.

For the outside speakers, I was thinking of getting another aluminum 110v outlet cover like the one that came on it and getting aftermarket outlets they sell for home stereos that have speaker ports instead of power outlets.

Josh