Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1974 - 1979 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
2,000th post - 14,000 hits - 2nd AC Installed

A couple of friends stopped by - traded liquid refreshment for help lifting up the second AC on top of the Sovereign. Both of the AC's are 13.5K Dometic Penguin Heat Pumps.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #82
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Nice! How'd ya deal with the condensation water?
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:32 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
WOW, thats impressive...with dual air's that truly is one 'cool' trailer.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:02 PM   #84
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Something that strikes me with all A/C installations: why no matching paint?

SILVER STREAK used to paint the A/C shroud a complementary silver, and I did mine after purchase. Much as I like the low-profile units, a similar shade of silver seems mandatory to me.

Agreed that a 50A panel and dual A/C units is mandatory. I rather envy the old FMC motorhomes with their onboard, integral A/C units giving a very clean look to the roof on those low clearance height, independently suspended, 440 gasoline pushers.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Something that strikes me with all A/C installations: why no matching paint?....
I had matching paint on the original AC - I actually painted the top covers a couple of shades of beige and tried a bright white on them (all Krylon Fusion paint) - and covered over the "Airstream" decal on the side of the cover. Also photo shopped the bottom for a silver color. Finally settled that, to us, we liked the slightly off white top and the original "dark grey" of the Dometic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Agreed that a 50A panel and dual A/C units is mandatory....
Glad that I gave into several "might as wells" when I had the interior and the belly stripped...the second 20 amp connection (the trailer now has one thirty amp and one twenty amp connection) has really come in handy. See post #45 in this thread.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Old 10-24-2010, 01:47 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Condensate line & 110 wiring for the rear AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
... How'd ya deal with the condensation water?
The roof reinforcement, condensation line, and 110 wiring required some creativity. I used a combination of true 2" X 4" (rough cut) Western Cedar lumber and longitudinal 2" X 2" aluminum angle to stiffen up the ceiling for both of the AC's. I purchased the "two single cups" type of water catcher manufactured by Dometic - what a ripoff. The Dometic "Kit" consisted of two formed plastic cups designed to be installed on the interior frame of the Dometic with some 1/2" plastic tubing connecting the two cups - for a bargain price of $65!!! Let's see - $6.50 worth of plastic selling for $65 - that's what - 1,000% profit???

Add that to the unique Dometic "reversed phone line polarity" thermostat complication - and I am less than happy with the Dometic corporation.

I bucked up for two full drip installation pans available via Airstream - a bit pricey but a MUCH better condensate solution than the Dometic "drip kit".

Anyone contemplating a Dometic Penguin installation from scratch should have some looonngg conversations from someone who has already done a greenfield installation.

On the matter of the drip line - I crossed over from the Driver Side to the Curb Side with the drip line, came underneath of the rib just to the rear of the bath/bedroom bulkhead (there is an "indent" in this rib for the 12 volt wiring bundle to pass between the rib and the interior panels - used this "indent" for the 110 volt wire and thermostat wire to the AC also).

There was a double center ceiling panel in the '78 from a previous modification/repair. Fortunately (for me) there exists a large cut out in the area of the black tank vent in the area between the bathroom bulk head void, this cut out allowed for the passage of the 110 wire, the thermostat wire, and the condensate drip line into the wall void in the area of the medicine cabinet/black tank vent.

The plan is to penetrate the floor/belly pan somewhere in the area just to the rear of the water heater.

While I was in the void area I installed a "rear - off - front" switch I purchased from Colaw's. This will allow definitive use of the secondary 20 amp circuit to either the water heater or the rear AC.

Like Lisa on "Green Acres" the "significant other" does NOT understand that you cannot run two "15's" on a circuit marked for a moximum of "20".

Such simple math - such a lack of understanding.

The current plug in for the water heater is behind the bathroom garage tambour. See post #46 in this thread. I will keep the 110 outlet with the GFIC for use with a small electric heater should the need occur.

The unit has been test run to insure the heat pump/condensate line/110 feed/thermostat are all working properly.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 10-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #87
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I like your wire route. That has me thinking about a route for a 110 volt wire from my street-side electric service to my water heater at rear of wheelwell curb-side. I just have to get the wire across the width of the hall. Hmmmm

Gary
Old 12-31-2010, 09:18 PM   #88
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
newburgh , Maine
nice job! I'm going to be starting one for my son when the winter breaks so doing research now. I'm sure I will be looking at how you did things as I go along.

Thanks for all the documentation you did along the way.
claudebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
The Good, the Bad, and the Really Ugly

My impending "Retirement" necessitates the completion of the '78 a bit sooner than anticipated.

I drained the water and blew out the system with air (really well, I thought), and brought the trailer to the house.

The good - replaced the sooo uncomfortable Gaucho with a pair of wall hugger recliners. I foresee a couple of nights spent on them instead of the bed.

Since we will probably be boondocking more, I needed to replace the non-functional NT 30 furnace. I only attempted to light it a couple of times, but the older I get the more apprehensive I get of interior gas appliances that are more than 30 years old. I was pleased at how easily the old unit came out.

The Bad - New Suburban NT 34 SP should be on the UPS truck right now.

The Ugly -

After blowing out the water lines with air (actually, blew them out a couple of times with a good shop ar compressor) I was surprised to find water leaking under the trailer after the recent cold front passed through.

Fortunately, the break was accessible and only took a 2' piece of 1/2" rigid copper pipe to repair. New pipe and the rest of the trailer water has ben successfully pressure tested.

Note that the pipe failed at an old solder repair.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 02-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #90
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
"The good - replaced the sooo uncomfortable Gaucho with a pair of wall hugger recliners. I foresee a couple of nights spent on them instead of the bed."
Wow! Those are a couple a big ones!
Old 12-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
This years updates:

Installed a "Max Air II" cover over the kitchen Fantastic Fan. Cuts down on the light transfered to the interior, also decteased the airflow a bit, but not having to worry about rain getting in wins out...also adds a second bug barrier. The Max Airs are easily removeable with only 4 bolts or pins holding each one on.

While I was up there I installed 3 high volume 12 volt computer fans in the fridge vent. The fans are controlled by a lighted switch mounted in the overhead cabinet over the fridge. You can hardly hear the three of them running when they are on.

Biggest improvement by far this past year was the installation of a full sized awning (curb side type) on the street side of the trailer. This awning allows for a fully adjustable full length shade on the curb side should scenery, wind, or space require the curb side use. I also installed it since, due to anticipated work requirements, I will need to park the trailer in open areas and self shade will be required. Installed a rear awning while I was at it. All of the awnings are blue striped in the proper mid '70s fashion.

Been utillizing the trailer more and more, both for travelling and up at the lake at TAHI. One of my better investments for sure.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 12-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #92
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Always a favorite thread, especially since having seen this one in person. I like the addition of more awnings, especially the port side big one. Any plans for solar or xtra batt amps?
Old 12-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
2012 Update

Wow - 23,000 hits to the thread.

The Deka battery I purchased 5 years ago is still working great - spent a bunch of money on it, but the large AGM battery was money well spent,
I pretty much lived full time in the trailer the first 6months of the year while finishing the bungalow at TAHI.

The trailer was pulled several thousand miles this year with absolutely no problem...of all of the upgrades the second (20 amp) electrical inlet still ranks as number one, and the electric water heater (gas/electric) fuel is number two. On the downside, Mary still would llike a dish television feed, and my good friend Bwoodtx showed me the sollution to this - a selfsearching small antenna for the Dish TV satellite.

As to be expected on a 35 year trailer, things do go wrong from time to time. This year repair was on the dump valves - both the gray and the black tank valves were leaking. On the second "frewh water" flush after a trip the black tank slide valve separated from the pull arm. REALLY good thing this was after the second flush...

Since the tanks were relatively clean, the replacement of the Thetford valves was relatively painless - relative to still making repairs to a sewer system.

I documented the process with a few pics below in case it may help some hapless soul in the future.

I would seriously consider replacing everything with Valtera fittings if I had to redo both of the tanks primarily due to the cost of the fittings - but since the Thedford fittings were still permanently on both of the tanks I replaced the much more expensive Thetford valves. Special thanks to Vintage Trailer Supply for having photographs of almost all of the various Thetford valves using the same body stamping ID numbers. I was able to order the exact valves I needed without having to guess at which one I actually needed.

One other thing I would do - after completing the job I found that Lowes carried a rubber "tee" that would replace the hard plastic dual sweep 3" tee that was on the trailer. The double sweep caused me some grief due to the fact that the standard tee took just a bit more room on the back side - the cross beam actually had to be cut back a fraction of an inch.

Out of time on my post/edit privledge - will continue on the next post.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 12-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
2012 Update continued

pics below as promised...

If repairing the valves for the first time, a section must be cut from the belly pan below the valves...replace this section with a slightly larger piece of aluminum and just screw or rivet the scab piece to cover the original hole.

The hard piping requires at least two cuts in order to remove the valve and connector assembly from the trailer. Do some preplanning to minimize the damage to the assembly and you will probably be able to reuse much of the piping. PM if I could help walk you through your particular problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dump tee in place - note dual sweeps.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	175026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tee as cut from between tanks.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	358.7 KB
ID:	175027  

Name:	Dump assembly from bottom of trailer.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	175028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hard connection to black tank.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	175029  

Name:	Rubber sleeve connection to gray tank.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	175030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Info on Thetford valve.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	353.7 KB
ID:	175031  

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 12-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #95
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Hi Dennis! Sorry we missed you and Mary at the Blanco shindig this year. Hope all is well with you and yours.
Lance

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
2013 Update

2013 is gone with more than 27,000 hits on this thread.

Not much new to report. I have discovered that some LED's work great, others, unfortunately, not so much. Replaced most of the fluorescents with tube LED's with great success.

Installed an East West Airstream Queen out of a wrecked trailer. The bed is surprisingly comfortable. I actually lived in the trailer for a full six months while on a contract assignment in Houston. The trailer certainly has been a success story. This past six month stint makes for a full year of trailer living, 3 months in 2011, 3 in 2012, and 6 months in 2013.

Missed the Albuquerque Balloon Festival, but have grand hopes to attend in 2014.

Not much I would add or change at this point, the Sovereign has certainly morphed into a close to perfect trailer for me.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 01-02-2014, 07:41 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH View Post
2013 is gone ...Missed the Albuquerque Balloon Festival, but have grand hopes to attend in 2014.

Not much I would add or change at this point, the Sovereign has certainly morphed into a close to perfect trailer for me.
We also hope to make the 2014 balloon show - glad the Sovereign has worked out!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:07 AM   #98
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
2014 has come and gone with over 31,000 hits to this thread.
This past year has been both good and bad for Mary and me. I lived in the trailer for 6 months while on assignment in the Eagle Ford in South Texas, and fully retired in October.
Mary’s family has had a few issues, but look forward to 2015.
I did have one tire failure, wire separation in the body on the driver’s side front tire, but was replaced at no charge via the Discount Tire road insurance. The General tires are a bit over four years old. I will try to run them for one more year, but I am seriously considering replacing the 15’s with 16’s.
One if the highlights of the AS year for me was being able to attend the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. A “must do” for any Airstreamer.

Picture of the ’78 was taken during the morning balloon lift off. Flags, from left to right, are the Goliad “Come And Take It” flag, the Republic of Texas flag, the U.S., absent is the Vintage Club flag, and, finally, the corporate Airstream flag.
Below are a couple of pics of the flag holder assembly.

I did replace the 7 year old DEKA battery with two group 27 LifeLine batteries.

I have replaced most of the Tambours over the years, and this year the under sink Tambour finally became inoperative. A new under sink Oak double door was fabricated by a local cabinet shop at only $100. I was able to stain it to match the rest of the Oak already in the trailer.

I was convinced by the Texas Airstream Harbor Computer and Solar guru that I needed to upgrade the tow vehicle to trailer charging system. Below are a few shots of the 00 cable I ran from the dual batteries on the diesel Ford F-250 to the trailer, including the disconnect assembly.

I did have an issue with lighting the gas portion of the water heater. I did not have time to work on it so I brought it to a local RV “technician”. BIG mistake. After replacing most of the peripheral gas controls (pilot, thermo-couple, lines) it was decided that the regulator/thermostat was the root fault. The “Technician” yahoo was in the middle of replacing the regulator when he cross threaded the assembly into the aluminum body of the water heater. Short story is that it cost as much to repair as a brand new electric/gas water heater WITH electronic ignition would have….anyone in deep East Texas who needs a strong negative recommendation need only to PM me to find out who NOT to take your AS to for repair.

Plan to use the '78 for travel and enjoyment this year.

Life on the Lake at Texas Airstream Harbor is good. Please stop by and visit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Flags at Albequerque.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	365.5 KB
ID:	230289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flag Holder Front View.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	230290  

Name:	Flag Holder Back Side.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	230291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Under Sink Tambour Replacement.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	230292  

Name:	00 Gauge wire connection at rear of pickup.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	230293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left Side 00 Battery Connection.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	230294  

Name:	Right Side Battery 00 Connection.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	230295   Click image for larger version

Name:	00 Gauge wire connection run on frame of pickup.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	230296  

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 01-12-2015, 12:01 PM   #99
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Andy at Can Am has a favorite 15" Michelin tire size if the wheels are up to the tire rating.

Thanks for shots of 00 power cable run. I need to do mine.

The Eagle Ford Shale is a thing of quiet and sublime beauty, is it not? Chasing fresh air amidst the gas flares. The peace of a frac site. I could go on.

Congrats on retirement.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #100
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
87MH,

Just wanted to say I'm enjoying reading and looking at the photos of your AS. I too have a Sovereign but it is a '79. I really like the lounge chairs up front. Where did you get them from?

Would you also mind PM'ing me the place where you had your work done, I want to be sure I avoid the same place.....Thank you

Thank you
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign

« Peppy | Top | The Albatross »