Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > Commercial Listings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
This is the rack I saw at JC last fall as a protptype. I liked this quote from JC:

Quote:
It accommodates two average adult bicycles (with a maximum capacity of 77 pounds).
“Various people have for years been spreading the misinformation that Airstreams cannot carry any weight on the rear bumper, but all modern Airstreams in good condition have a certain loading capacity at the rear,” said Rich Luhr, Editor of Airstream Life magazine....
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:04 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Originally Posted by Fiammausa

Covering the front of your pick up truck is not a fix.
1. Restricted air flow to the engine.
2. Restricted air flow to transmission cooler. "big no no"
3. Night-time visibility.
4. Overall turn radius x = ft.
5. Front hitch weight distribution directly affects excessive tire wear.
6. Expensive labor! But parts are very low cost. "let's see the labor cost to install a blue ox"
7. Can increase wind drag, reduced fuel consumption.
8. Loading and unloading.
9. Fiamma is all aluminum construction, weighs 1/3 and serves the same purpose.
10. Comments are accepted.

Quite the list, but it sounds more like one put together by someone offering a competing product rather that one based on actual experience!

From a practical standpoint, I can only say that in thirteen years of carrying bikes on the front of a pickup, I have yet to experience any problems whatosover - not to say there is anything at all wrong with the new style carrier being proposed!

Incidentally one of the things I really like about having the bikes up front is that I can keep an eye on them and know that they are still there and not about to fall off - I did have a personal experience with this on one occasion and could clearly see one bike was about to come detached!

The whole issue about carrying bikes on the back of the Airstream puts me in mind of eating fish on Fridays For years, (centuries?) within certain sections of the community it is verboten, then suddenly it is fine! Hmmmmm!

Think I'll just carry on with the bikes up front for now and take my chances! I don.t doubt their are pros and cons to either solution!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I want one, but they don't make it to fit a Classic according to what I have read on the AS news letter. I'd like to hear if one for the Classic is in the works.

I know the mgf. rep on here said he thinks it fits the Classic, but I don't see how, as designed because of the back bumper being different.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
This is the rack I saw at JC last fall as a protptype. I liked this quote from JC:
Quote:
It accommodates two average adult bicycles (with a maximum capacity of 77 pounds).
“Various people have for years been spreading the misinformation that Airstreams cannot carry any weight on the rear bumper, but all modern Airstreams in good condition have a certain loading capacity at the rear,” said Rich Luhr, Editor of Airstream Life magazine....

Not sure that is a quote from JC - says it is from the editor of the Airstream Life magazine.

In fact I believe the manual that came with my AS trailer actually included a remark not to carry any heavy items that way. But then, what is heavy!?

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #65
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Looks like a nice rack and very similar in design to the TopRail which I have mounted on mine. Pricing is similar. But I can take the rack off and store at home on trips where I don't take the bikes. And when I sell my trailer (which I did) the toprail simply unmounts from the frame hitch A frame. Plus it puts the weight on the front of the trailer at the hitch where it can be compensated for with the WD hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BikeRack.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	149071  

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I think the thing I most like about a front receiver on the truck is that it allows me to use a standard bike rack that I can mount on either end of the truck and also mount on any other vehicle which has a receiver.

Tow the trailer somewhere with the bikes on the front of the truck, then the ability to carry the bikes from there to another destination for a day of bike riding.

To each his own.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Once 2 bikes are in the new rack won't that impair the tail light view? If so, I would think that much more risky than impairing headlights on the front of the TV during the day.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #68
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
I think the thing I most like about a front receiver on the truck is that it allows me to use a standard bike rack that I can mount on either end of the truck and also mount on any other vehicle which has a receiver.
That's a good point. Most of us bike riders already have an expensive bike rack that mounts in a receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
One forum member, who's name I don't remember, mounted a bike rack on the rear of his trailer and the part that made it work was the fact that he attached the top brackets to the rear window frame in a similar way that this rack is mounted. Attaching the rack to the frame and to the body stops the flexing and bouncing of the bikes. And keeps both together in the up and down forces.
Bob, Garfield from the link above your post is one of a few that had the pictured bike rack designed and installed by Can-am. Looks amazingly similar to Airstreams model.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f206...s-86424-5.html
Old 01-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #69
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Mojo, who makes that rack?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #70
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Top Pop Rails out of Canada. They have developed one that will fit all AS frames
http://www.toppoprails.com/trailer.htm

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Top Pop Rails out of Canada. They have developed one that will fit all AS frames
http://www.toppoprails.com/trailer.htm
Just ordered mine in December. It looks a little different than Mojo's. The black brackets which mount to the A frame are quite different in design. Mine is the 3 place though.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
For years we have been told not to put anything on the rear of our Airstreams. I never put anything in the bumper compartment except the "slinky" and the electric cord which is attached to the trailer in that area.

Many folks here on this forum and other places have been putting front receivers and bicycles on the front of their TVs for years, and not one has reported any problem, no transmission problems, no engine over heating, not even a traffic ticket or mashed up bike.

Now we are being told that it is OK to mount bikes on the back of our Airstreams, and that mounting them on the front of our TVs is a no no?

Does this seem a little strange to anyone but me?

Sure makes one wonder, doesn't it?
Makes me wonder if all Airstreamers chose aluminum over their heads to stop the spy satellites from reading their minds...

This rack distributes the load between the shell and the 'frame'. As the two work together, if this rack doesn't work, then no rack can ever work.

They must have done some testing if they are selling if from the AS site... H ave a 2 inch receiver on the back of my 22... works GREAT! But, I like neat and tidy, so I am going to get this new gadget. I keep an open mind, and if it doesn't work, Airstream will have to fix it.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Originally Posted by Fiammausa

Covering the front of your pick up truck is not a fix.
1. Restricted air flow to the engine.
2. Restricted air flow to transmission cooler. "big no no"
3. Night-time visibility.
4. Overall turn radius x = ft.
5. Front hitch weight distribution directly affects excessive tire wear.
6. Expensive labor! But parts are very low cost. "let's see the labor cost to install a blue ox"
7. Can increase wind drag, reduced fuel consumption.
8. Loading and unloading.
9. Fiamma is all aluminum construction, weighs 1/3 and serves the same purpose.
10. Comments are accepted.

Quite the list, but it sounds more like one put together by someone offering a competing product rather that one based on actual experience!
Sounds like a lot of the same stuff the 'don't put stuff on the back' people have been feeding us for years as well. Because I am sure that lots of people have good experiences with rear-hitch mounts (like me), but some people don't.

I'm guessing the front rack has the same caveats as putting something on the back... there is always going to be some situation that makes either one the best/worst solution...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Quote:

Not sure that is a quote from JC - says it is from the editor of the Airstream Life magazine.

Brian.
I quoted from the Airstream Newsletter January 2012.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
They must have done some testing if they are selling if from the AS site...
The prototype I saw had been used for over 1,000 miles and I think I saw at least one other prototype there on another unit. So I'm sure they did some testing. Beyond that, I'm sure they know the dynamics involved and have calculated that it will work.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, although it has been taboo for mounting anything on the rear of an Airstream trailer [bumper] and the bouncing of these things could cause the frame to body area to separate, it has been done successfully in the past. One forum member, who's name I don't remember, mounted a bike rack on the rear of his trailer and the part that made it work was the fact that he attached the top brackets to the rear window frame in a similar way that this rack is mounted. Attaching the rack to the frame and to the body stops the flexing and bouncing of the bikes. And keeps both together in the up and down forces.

Do you have a rack to hold one tandem bicycle?
Hi, it was forum member HowieE who posted pictures of his bike rack on 2/20/2007 in "How do you carry bicycles?" posts # 36 & 38.
Attached Images

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #77
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott J-24 View Post
I want one! Any info on installation? Is this a do-it-yourself project or a dealer install item?
According to Colonial Airstream, the item needs to be installed by an authorized Airstream dealer. Inland RV, Colonial Airstream in NJ and Airstream Jackson Center are currently offering to install. I received a email letter from Colonial. Will attached, if you would like.....
WBCCI #1122
Top of Georgia Unit #52
“I don’t want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it; I want to have lived the width of it as well.”
---Diane Ackerman (Author, poet, essayist, naturalist)
benjisgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum
Fiammausa, would you describe the attachment of the upper brackets to the trailer?

I'm guessing drilling and rivets, but I'd like to know before I order the rack.

doug k
Yes they require drilling and installing rivets
Fiammausa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #79
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike
Fiammausa - thanks for answering the questions. There are some of us that are very interested in understanding the design, installation and capabilities of the product and your answers are helpful.
Thanks
Old 01-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #80
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Orlando , Florida
I was simply here to help and advise on the bike carrier itself. How it attaches and what has been discussed in the past with weight on the rear should be addressed to Airstream. I do not sell this product, however I can only offer technical information. If you would like to purchase an "Airstream Carry-Bike" you will have to contact them or an authorized Airstream Dealer. Those of you that wish to contact me with technical questions can email sales@fiammausa.com with your questions, as I will no longer post to this forum. Thank You!