Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2015, 09:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Arlington , Virginia
Water Pressure Regulator Device

Do I need a water pressure regulator when hooking up to water at an RV campsite to fill up my fresh water tank? I've heard that it will serve as added protection from damage to my plumbing if there is too much water pressure at the site.
xCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Many times , no...but sometimes, yes. I have seen campsite pressure as high as 80psi once. That could make for an inconvenient and messy repair. I have seen pressures all over the map, but that was the highest. I set my adjustable regulator to 50psi and never worry about it again.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:26 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Woodstock , Georgia
It's built in my Airstream, so no need.

The Streaming Gantt's on Airstream Forums
Keith Gantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Keith, two problems with the AS internal one.

1) doesn't protect your hose (no biggie????? you be the judge)
2) the AS ones are plastic and prone to leaking (which I suspect is due to a high pressure event) This creates floor rot if it is a small leak over time and a mess if it is a large leak. I re-sealed mine and started using a brass Watts at the spigot. Everything, including the original AS regulator are now protected. Many folks remove the plastic AS one, and I probably will next time I have a reason to disassemble that area for repair or maintenance.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 09-17-2015, 06:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My trailer also has a built in regulator. One less thing I feel a need to buy just to have.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I might add, mine did leak after a couple years of use. I noted water dripping steadily out the belly pan in that area. I removed and re-sealed the body halves and later got an external brass regulator.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
problems with the AS internal one.

I have two fresh water hoses. Both now have hose clamps on them after the original crimped brass fittings were blown off by campground water pressure.

Now that I have corrected the "weak points", I suspect the internal Airstream pressure regulator cannot be far behind
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I believe it's the anti-backflow valve on campground spigots that locks water within your fresh water hose and your closed airstream plumbing system that bursts the hose. The water is trapped, expands as the sun heats it up and blows out the weakest point, which fortunately is your fresh water hose.

A second pressure regulator in the system will not prevent this, will it? Keeping an air bubble in your water heater or adding a water pressure accumulator to take up the expansion will.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I believe it's the anti-backflow valve on campground spigots that locks water within your fresh water hose and your closed airstream plumbing system that bursts the hose. The water is trapped, expands as the sun heats it up and blows out the weakest point, which fortunately is your fresh water hose.

A second pressure regulator in the system will not prevent this, will it? Keeping an air bubble in your water heater or adding a water pressure accumulator to take up the expansion will.
Interesting. Thanks!
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

Theoretically, the AS regulator would prevent any pressure rise, due expansion in the hose from entering the AS. Wont help the hose though. I, quite frankly haven't noted this being an issue....maybe in the desert or very high sun load and high temp conditions, but I haven't experienced it.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
When I first got my preowned 2008 Classic 25fb in 2013 I installed my own regulator on the faucet then the hose to the Airstream. I thought their was something wrong as the water pressure seemed low. When I took my regulator off the faucet the pressure was normal. I had used this faucet regulator on my Casita (it doesn't have built in water regulator) without notice of pressure loss. Since then I just plug the hose directly into the Airstream and let it regulate the pressure. My water inlet is in a compartment in a lower access area so if the regulator would leak it would go straight to the ground. Hopefully its an easy job to replace if ever needed.

Kelvin
Old 09-17-2015, 08:40 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I have an external water pressure regulator to protect my hoses. I only use it at camp grounds where their water pressure is real high. Most camp grounds with high water pressure will let you know and/or sale/loan you a pressure regulator. One camp ground told us their water pressure can go higher than 100 lbs.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Anyone know what the internal regulator is rated at?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 09-17-2015, 08:54 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Anyone know what the internal regulator is rated at?
This is what I found:

"This combination water pressure-reducer and check valve diaphragm design prevents high-pressure damage often caused by city water systems. This high performance water entry limit water pressure safely to a nominal 65 PSI (50 PSI inline version only) while meeting or surpassing all check valve code requirements."

Not sure exactly what that means though???????

Old 09-17-2015, 09:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Pressure Reducing City Water Entry (Wall Mount) - Gel White | Water Entries

65psi.

I keep my Watts adjusted to 60psi at the spigot.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Rich, thank you

Old 09-17-2015, 11:08 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
I found thru experience, and a lotta trial and error, that a water pressure regulator that attaches to the shore hose bib is not enough. I've seen parks where daytime water pressure is 60 psi; and nighttime pressure is 90 psi.

Your garden variety water pressure regulator (on hose bib) simply won't withstand those pressures for very long. In addition to a pressure regulator, to be safe, what you need is a pressure relief valve (where excess water pressure is leaked onto the ground).

My '77 AS came standard equipped with a Watts regulator and pressure relief valve. I've since added an internal pressure gauge so I can adjust incoming water psi to my liking (40 psi and 45 psi, respectively). I also have a gauge that attaches to the hose bib. The psi readings on those gauges will shock you.

The following links will give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Tom

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-3-4-in-Plastic-Water-Pressure-Test-Gauge-DP-IWTG/100175467

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-100-psi-Pressure-Gauge-EBM1002-4L/205617969

http://www.grainger.com/product/WATTS-Water-Pressure-Regulator-Valve-26X116?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/26X116_AS01?$smthumb$

http://www.grainger.com/product/WATTS-Lead-Free-Brass-Calibrated-WP98845/_/N-mwy?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/5DLZ1_AS01?$smthumb$
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:21 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
After traveling most of the summer in 9 states the only BAD water pressure was at Coulter Bay RV park. the water pressure blew out my AS regulator and my water hose was shot before I knew it.

The only place to get it fix was in Denver, CO a week later. While I was at the AS dealership get a replacement the service manager told me that they replace these a lot. It was under warranties and only took 30 minutes to replace, the part is under $50 and is easy to replace.

I ask all camp grounds about water pressure and was told that it was ok, I have order a more heavy duty fresh water hoses and will be getting an outside regulator for the out side faucet. You do have a back-up by filling your fresh water tank until repair is needed.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
hose regulators

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Keith, two problems with the AS internal one.

2) the AS ones are plastic and prone to leaking (which I suspect is due to a high pressure event) This creates floor rot if it is a small leak over time and a mess if it is a large leak. I re-sealed mine and started using a brass Watts at the spigot. Everything, including the original AS regulator are now protected. Many folks remove the plastic AS one, and I probably will next time I have a reason to disassemble that area for repair or maintenance.
Thanks, Keith for the warning...I'm an AS newbie (23 FC) and had been relying on the internal regulator. Now I'll play it safe.
Barretta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:32 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
I don't know about other vintage A/S's but our '67 has a brass pressure regulator. I hope it never goes bad because it is in an inaccessible place behind the toilet. So far it hasn't. Like KJRitchie, when using a regulator at the faucet in addition to the original built in regulator, pressure inside was too low. Ambient heat shouldn't over pressure the piping inside because the safety valve on the water heater would open to relieve the excess pressure. The water pump would probably relieve the excess pressure even before that.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote