Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2016, 02:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Aptos , California
So I added water....now what?

We are newbies out on our first road trip. We have put 1/3 fresh water in the tank, but have a very minor leak at the kitchen faucet handle. So do we power up the pump? Do we need to open the bath/kitchen/shower spigots to get it pressurized? If it is pressurized will the leak get worse? perhaps stop? Also is there anything special we need to do for the water heater? Does it have an automatic pilot or do we need to turn it on or prime it?

We would love some feedback on what our next step logically should be before we just call a plumber and say "fix it". Thanks!
Todd and Nancy
Silver Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:04 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
For the leak, turn on the pump and test out the severity. You can fix that if you need to after you troubleshoot. Need all faucets closed to pressurize system.

BTW, how do you know you really have a leak if you haven't turned on the pump?

not sure how your HW heater works, sorry.
btowntincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
BTW, how do you know you really have a leak if you haven't turned on the pump?
.[/QUOTE]

That's what wondered. Are you also hooked up to city water?
Old 02-03-2016, 04:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Here is what I would do for your faucet leak:
1.Turn on the pump and see if it still leaks, you have nothing to loose.
2.If you still have a leak remove the faucet knob or handle, take a wrench and tighten the nut on the valve stem a nudge.
3.If that still does not work remove the nut that holds in the valve stem remove the valve stem replace the O ring and bottom gaskets on the valve stem
4.If that does not work you need a new valve seat

All the above can be done without getting under the sink. If that does not fix your problem replace the faucet which will be more of a PITA. (Wear a Duluth long tail T shirt to avoid plumber's butt)

Your water heater probably has electronic ignition. Open water heater bypass valves if your unit has them and close bypass valve (access from inside the coach) turn the red water heater switch on. If it stays red you are in business. If it flashes turn off and repeat until it stays lit. You will hear a little woosh when it lights.

You may need or want to call a plumber/handiman anyway but at least you will know enough they won't snow you. For the sink thing a good handyman will work. This aint rocket science. For the water heater you should contact someone who knows RV water heaters.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post

Your water heater probably has electronic ignition. Open water heater bypass valves if your unit has them and close bypass valve (access from inside the coach) turn the red water heater switch on. If it stays red you are in business. If it flashes turn off and repeat until it stays lit. You will hear a little woosh when it lights.
I think on the '83 the light comes on when you switch on and goes out when the burner lights. Steady red light means no flame.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Another option for Plumbers buttt
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
I think on the '83 the light comes on when you switch on and goes out when the burner lights. Steady red light means no flame.
JCW
The trailer is a 93 not a 83. Your information may be right, I don't exactly remember. I do remember on my 93 the light will blink, remain steady, or turn off.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I checked my manual for my Atwwod heater. Kind of confusing. But I think it says:
1. Check you have water in the heater tank by opening a hot water faucet.
2. Electric ignition- Turn the switch on if the light is solid red turn it off and try again in 5 minutes
3.The light flashes red when the heater is running (opposite my above post)
Old 02-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Aptos , California
Thanks for your help. We are delayed in replying because we are out of range. We were not on city water. We new we had a leak when we got it....water on counter around faucet. We had additional water on counter after pulling to first destination. We pressurized the system (nothing to lose as stated) and it leaked quite a bit. Depressurized, got out the schematic, took apart the handle assembly, found a couple O rings that we figured might be the issue. Went to town and bought/replaced the O rings. No luck - still leaking. We found an RV service in the town and brought it by for a look. He was of the mind that a replacement faucet was the best route. So we went back to the hardware store and bought a new faucet aarmed with all the space and function restrictions he explained. Back to the service guy and he says "should work". Here we are in a Starbucks...waiting for the "good to go" call from Mr. Fix-it.
Thanks again forum friends,
Todd and Nancy
Silver Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Hope you got it fixed. I have a Delta faucet in my bath sink that had a minor leak last year but after this winter, it got much worse. Took it apart and carried all the parts with me to Home Depot. $7 later, put then in myself and it works perfect with no leaks!!
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote