Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2015, 07:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Black water flush question????

What does one do when attempting to use black water flush inlet and the hose has no threads. Just came back from quick trip up north. Went to flush my black tank at dump station. Hose had nothing on hose end. What do you folks do in this situation?
mwilliamsmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Wait till you get home or where you can use your hose.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:04 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Yup

I ran into this situation so many times. I had reached my wits end.

I went & bought the cheapest 20ft hose I could find @ Wallyworld, wrapped both ends with red tape to mark it as non-potable, and I am done fooling with this issue. Just store it seperately from your drinking hose to avoid contamination.

Like the Boy Scout motto: Be prepared!
Gavin
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:32 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Appreciate both replies but....

Don't want to wait to get home, would like to dump black tanks at site. Also, I have a "black water hose" I carry but if you are at a State Campground or other campground that does not have water and sewer at the individual sites your are relegated to whatever is available at the dump station.
mwilliamsmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Is the flush something you do every time? I haven't found that necessary. Someone taught me a great trick in the forums - when you're emptying your black tank (which you've filled with water to 100% full before flushing) you let it drain completely (don't close the drain) then lift the "slinky" above the drain pipe and open the grey tank (also full to 100%) for say 5 seconds and close the grey. That just pushed a few gallons of water back through your blank tank and when you drop the slinky you'll get an extra good flush/rinse. Then complete the grey process as usual.

I also make sure that after draining the tanks, I put some water (couple gallons or so) in the toilet with a Chem pack (some people don't like that) and some water and grey tank sanitizer in each of the kitchen, bath and shower drains. Controls things very well. Has made the backflush far less important.

Good luck!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Flushing the tank should not be necessary if you are using enough water. Pull the valve and then put a gallon or two in the toilet and pull the valve again. When done and valve is closed put some water back into the black tank. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
There is a gizmo from Camco called the water thief or hose thief. Cost about $4. It slips over the end of the cut off hose. You may have to hold it on depending on pressure. It works great and we use it quite often.
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:49 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Or use a hose clamp so you don't have to hold the water thief on.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I have a little plastic bag of different size male hose ends with with a simple screw clamp and a small screw driver. It only takes a minute to put one on.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:13 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
I carry a slip joint wrench and just take off the dumpstation hose and put on my own. Of course I replace the original hose when done.
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:53 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We carry a flexi hose in the rear bumper with one section of sewar hose. When I run into this I detach the dump station hose, attach my flex hose and proceed to clear her out. Then reverse. That said I usually try to end any trip at a full service campsite and do all that at the site the last morning. Works well for us, can't use the toilet on our last leg home, but no big deal.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:32 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Not necessary to use the spray after every outing--just good to do so on a regular basis. As suggested, if you are traveling every day for several days, invest in a a full service site so you can hook up that second, sewer use only hose that you always with you!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:54 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We add our dishwater to the black tank through the toilet the last day before we leave a campground (if there's room in the tank...making sure the dish water doesn't have a spoon or fork hiding in it) to add water volume to the black tank. We don't use the rinse system every time either...usually at our last stop of a trip, and if there's no line to dump...and, of course, if there's a threaded hose at the dump station (and many times there is not).
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Old Trick

Another old trick (my 87 has no hose rinse provision for the black tank) is to put a bag of ice cubes down the toilet after emptying the tank at the campground. The solid cubes will scour the inside of the tank and get the junk that's stuck broken free. Then the cubes melt and it's all liquid happiness that you can dump at the next stop six hours later.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:37 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Our 67 Overlander has no grey tank and no flush system. I usually estimate 3/4 full on the black tank, fill rest of way with water and dump. Then leave valve open, fill toilet with water and flush 3 times to ensure nothing is caught in the valve slide. If at a dump station, I open the rear window and do the above using the hose with no end.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:19 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Yorba Linda , California
Wow. Great tricks everyone. Thanks.
merchantmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The Geo Method, currently giving this a try. Too early to tell how effective it is.

https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:06 PM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
If you dump your tank full, as others have noted, there is no overriding need to use the rinse. I tend to wait till I'm at a full hookup site and prior to departure on my last trip of the season I hook up the tank rinse. I did without such a valve for 14 years with my SOB and never had any issue regarding the tank. I typically add a gallon or so of water into the tank after dumping and put in some of the holding tank chemical (I use the environmentally friendly stuff).

I almost believe that Airstream added the rinse as a "nicety" signifying a premium trailer. If you follow the fill the full tank dump procedure, you'd probably never would miss not having the rinse attachment.

I wonder how many folks have failed to blow out this valve when winterizing. I know the first 3 years I owned my Classic, I never did, nor do I know if any of the plumbing serving this valve holds any water after the hose is disconnected.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
Another old trick (my 87 has no hose rinse provision for the black tank) is to put a bag of ice cubes down the toilet after emptying the tank at the campground. The solid cubes will scour the inside of the tank and get the junk that's stuck broken free. Then the cubes melt and it's all liquid happiness that you can dump at the next stop six hours later.
There is a great Youtube video by a guy who tests RV things and ideas on the subject. Bottom line, it does not work. Sounds good, but his plexiglass tank shows the poor to non existent results.

Someone here posted the URL a few weeks ago. I am not a youtube search expert and have no idea how to find it again.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:14 AM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Black water flush question????

Thefitrv.com. Is the site. Pretty good. He does one whole segment on ice cubes. The take away is that ice cubes don't work. It's the water and soaking that do the trick. He does another segment trying 4 different tank cleaning devices. Bottom line the built in sprayer does the best job. He's going to be doing a segment looking at the effectiveness of holding tank chemicals.

Go to you tube and search for Thefitrv. You will see a list of his videos.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote