Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #1

1974 27' Overlander
Gladstone , Missouri
74 Overlander rear bath

Does anyone know how to access the plumbing going to the tub? I have a water leak around that area and don't want to open up the belly unless I have too. Any suggestions are appreciated.
jbooheis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Get a drill, with 1/8" bit and drill out the rivets to the bathroom pieces where the leak is behind. I had the same problem last summer in my 1973 Overlander. I drilled out the rivets and took the top part of the counter out that is above the tub. I reached back there made my repairs and riveted it back. Buy a hand held rivet gun at lowes, Home Deport, or Harbor Freight. It is really easy. The whole removal and putting back together took 30 minutes.

Honestly I have taken my whole bathroom out and painted each individual piece and put it back.

Brian
Old 05-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #3

1974 27' Overlander
Gladstone , Missouri
Thanks Brian. I was concerned on removing those rivets since its old, but I will give it a shot.
jbooheis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
I second Brian's comments. I had a leak both in plumbing running under / behind the tub area as well as to the supply of the shower valve. Cut all the caulking, remove the yellow insert (if it's still there), drill the rivets, remove the "cover" (this would be where you set soap, shampoo, etc. during showering; on the curb side) and you can then see down to the plumbing that goes forward to the kitchen as well as the plumbing that goes to the shower mixing valve. Replace as necessary. I suggest replacing with PEX and shark-bite (gator-bite) fittings. The -bite fittings can be expensive, but not needing to use a blow torch to install or remove them is a big plus in my mind.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote