Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #1

1977 Argosy 24
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Dump Valve Stuck

Hi All,
Looking for some advice. My black water tank won't drain. We disconneted the sewer drain pipe off outside the trailer to check for blockages and of course there was. We cleared that out and hooked the sewer pipe back to the trailer and it still wouldn't drain. Since the pipe on the trailer curves a bit just before reaching the holding tank, we stuck an auger in there and it felt like it was hitting metal rather than a blockage. Is it possible that the valve seized shut? And if so, any easy way to dislodge it so I can drain my tank? I'm in a seasonal lot and don't travel with it, so not having the valve in place is not an issue.

Thanks,
Gisele
Gisele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
it is possible the plate of the valve is "cemented" in place by TP and waste on the other side. The Black tank does get as much natural lubricant as the grey tank. Soap, body and cooking oils lubricate the grey tank valve "automaticly". The black tank does not have the benefit. It there is not already water in the black tank, fill it about 1/4 full. Put in a couple bags of ice cubes and some liquid soap. Drive around for about 50 miles. See what happens then.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
It does sound like the valve is still closed. Did the handle come loose from the valve? That happens some times. I think the joint is back under the metal cover for the tank. Probably have to cut a hole in the tank cover to access it. When you try to open or close the valve with the handle what happens? or the valve could be open and you are hitting the edges of it.

A bad way to run the black tank is to just leave the valve open or partly open. You need to keep it closed and dump every so often. Add water so there is a lot of liquid when you dump. I close the gray water valve 1 day or so before a dump so that I can flush out all the lines after dumping. There is a company in some locations that will come and power flush your black tank. You have to be able to get the valve open to do that. I had it done on a trailer I bought in Fl that sat for 20 years in one spot. about $180 but I thought it was worth it to get it cleaned before I went in and changed the valve.

On an Airstream, and I would guess on an Argosy, you have to make a cutout in the heavy galvanized cover under the tanks to actually access the valve body. And you got to be careful not to drill into or saw into the tank when you do that.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
If the handle is still attached to valve handle and you cannot pull up take a piece of pipe slip over one end handle put spacer under pipe and push down on free end of pipe valve may pop open use care doing this but has always worked for me with stubborn valves
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #5

1977 Argosy 24
Winnipeg , Manitoba
I can move the valve handle but when I do you don't hear the valve move at all, where as you used to.......
Gisele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Sounds like the handle came disconnected from the valve. Does the handle move in and out easily, like it is not connected to anything? If so you need to access the area where the handle connects to the valve and see what's up.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gisele View Post
I can move the valve handle but when I do you don't hear the valve move at all, where as you used to.......
You need to open up the belly pan. A pin may have broken or the connecting hardware to the valve plate is broken. You may have to replace the valve.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote