Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
Loosdrecht , Noord Holland
From Houston to Orlando

Hi all, i'm planning a trip for the end of October this year. Plan is to fly on Houston, rent a car there and then travel from Houston to Orlando, last week is spend in a nice house in Clermont to chill, shop and Disney.

We have about 2 weeks (a little less) to travel from Houston to Orlando. I was thinking of going to Galveston then Lafayette, Thibodeux, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Mobile, Tallahassee and Orlando.

Any tips/suggestions? Where should i definitely go (and were not). Where should we eat, sleep and do touristy stuff All suggestions should be child proof though as i'm traveling with my 5 year old daughter, so pools are mandatory!

Of course the hidden motif for this trip is to find and buy an Airstream
Ciciolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Ah, so you're still on the hunt!

By late October, the weather here in Texas and across the South should have come down from "inferno" to just "warm" so you've picked a good time of the year for your visit.

Personally, I never found much of particular interest along I-10 between Houston and Baton Rouge. I'm sure people who live along that route may have some good recommendations for places to eat, though. You'll find that I-10 through there is a long chain of bridges strung together with chunks of land. (This is an exaggeration, but the closer you get to New Orleans the more it seems that way.)

The State Capitol building in Baton Rouge is somewhat unique among state capitols in the US, it's a skyscraper instead of the typical dome between the 2 houses of the state legislature.

New Orleans itself, of course, is a must-see and a very unique city. If you happen to be in New Orleans on Halloween, the French Quarter will be very wild and it might not be a good place for your daughter, so that might be a reason move your New Orleans stop forward or back on the calendar. I went to grad school there, but in the early '90s so I'm sure I'm not current on the best places to eat anymore.

Are you just planning to inspect any likely candidate trailer on sale near your route?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
Loosdrecht , Noord Holland
Yeah still on the hunt, taking my time

Last year we cruised through Florida and landed at the Keys during Halloween This year we will be in Orlando during that time so i'm guessing we will be ok. But thanks for the reminder, my daughter loves halloween!

And yes if we find a suitable AS which is more or less on route we will try to plan an inspection.
Ciciolina is offline   Reply With Quote