Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2004, 10:39 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Cordless Drill Motors

I am finally going to purchase a cordless drill.

I have put it off for many years. I hate batteries and rechargers and all the confusion with overcharging and charge memory and nicad vs lithium vs alkaline vs hocus pocus!

In laymens terms is the more volts the better?
Does that mean the drill will run faster?
Is more volts always going to be heavier?
Will more volts mean longer use between charges given the same task. (Drilling out rivets)
Are these things any good for attaching a wire brush cup and grinding scale & rust away. (generally running for hour or so at a time)

Any advice or reccomendations will be appreciated.
I saw Black & Decker Firestorm at Lowes today. I have very little faith in B&D. But maybe that is unfounded.
Saw a Harbor ad last week with their usual low price but figure all their stuff is inferior, True? False?
I also worry about the batteries not being available say 4-6 years down the road with the B&D. Prob not available at all with the Harbor.
Sort of like my Motorola cell phones. You know all marketing no service.
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 10:55 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Cordless Drills

Yes, more voltage is better, up to a point.

I currently have 2 cordless drills. A 14.4 volt 3/8" Bosch and an 18 volt 1/2" DeWalt. Both are excellent products.

The Dewalt is noticably heavier than the Bosch and more powerful. The Bosch fells better in my hand (better balance?) and does everything I need a cordless drill to do. I only have the DeWalt because a contractor left it in my house and never returned for it.

I also own a "normal" (corded?) 3/8" Bosch drill. The quality of Bosch power tools is outstanding.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 11:13 PM   #3
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
My personal experience

I originally owned a Makita 9.6v drill. It worked great.

The next time I needed one for work, I saw the 12v line. I purchased a set.

What I found was for whatever reason the 12v batteries would always be dead after sitting for some time. While the 9.6v batteries would always be ready and last longer.

The 9.6v series also has a flashlight available for the same battery. As well as other tools.

Anyway, I switched back to the 9.6v one and have been quite satisfied.

Good luck!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 11:18 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

also 2 drills

I have a 6+ old Craftsman 13.2v Professional Series with 2 batts and charger that is great weight to use and has worked well for me with no problems. I am a project guy so it has has on and off light and heavy use for its whole life and steel has good power for all but the heaviest jobs.

I also have an 18v Dewalt that I use only for metal drilling of 1/2" + holes and big lag screws, it is pretty heavy physically for many jobs.

The more volts the better as well as best rep in a maker, but be sure it is comfortible to use or you could end up with a tank.....about 10 volts up is usually good for all around use in my experience if you only have one....jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 06:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I've had two Crafstmans, a 9.6V and a 13.2V. Didn't think either one one was worth the money. No only did the batteries die after about a year, the drive spindles got loose and sloppy.
Both of them I tried to condition the batteries by running them almost dead the first couple of uses, but my garage is really cold and that probably shortened their life.

Now I have an 18V Dewalt that feels better and has as much torque as my 3/8" 120 vac drill motors.

I kind of disagree with the Silver Buffalo, I think the Dewalt is easier to use because the handle is shorter. But those are personal preference things.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 07:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Generally more volts will be heavier and run longer on the same job because of a bigger battery. When you get to 18v a lot of drills are 1/2" and they don't have the rpm unless they are 2 speed, 3000 rpm will destroy a big bit in a few seconds. I think you will be dissappointed trying to use one for extensive rust removal, the battery will drain pretty fast. Look at something like this, $9.99 and trash it when it dies. You also can use a heavier cup brush and get a lot more done.

If you are going to use the drill mainly for rivets and homeowner jobs, I would stick with 3/8" and one with 2 batteries; that way you should always have a fresh battery. The 1/2" are pretty heavy for extended use, you don't need the power, and they are expensive.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 07:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

In general, higher voltage means more power, but also more weight. I have tried, but failed to learn to like the 18 volt units now offered - they are just too heavy for me to use comfortably for any extended period.

I too have a 13.2 v Craftsmen which has given me exceptional service.

The key to the life of the batteries is in never, ever, not ever running the batteries totally dead and getting a good quality charger. Good charging circuitry is expensive, and this is where the manufacturers who sell on price alone are most prone to cut corners. After all, who is going to know?

DeWalt is well known for having some of the best battery chargers out there. Bosch equipment is almost always top notch. Makita is perhaps better known for their quality cordless tools than they are for anything else they make.

If you really want to use one for long periods of heavy use (you mentioned rust scaling), you are going to need lots of volts, a minimum of two batteries and a charger that can really do a good quick charge. Again, at that point they become so heavy that I find them hard to use.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 08:59 AM   #8
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
Wink Cordless Compact for Screw Jacks

I'd like to keep a drill in the Airstream, does anyone have a recommendation for cordless compact drill to be used primarily for adjusting the Hensley screw jacks?
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 12:41 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Drills.

In my line of work I use lots of drills. I install cabinets and make countertops. I think we have 6 drills. Three corded and three cordless. Makita, Dewalt, Craftsman , Soiux, and Milwakee. For drilling rivets nothing bets a corded angled Soiux type drill. Very high RPM. Very light, well balanced and comfortable for extended use. With a light duty drop cord, you don't notice the cord. The Makita 9.6v is a great cordless drill. We have a 5 year old 9.6v that still runs great. No problems finding batteries. They last many years and are reasonable cheap. Also bought a right angle 9.6v last year and it isn't nearly as powerful as the old regular drill. The Dewalt 18v 1/2inch is a very powerfull drill that can torque through many tough jobs. Kinda heavy for extended use. Good work out for the arms if you are drilling lots of rivets.
Our workhorse is a Milwakee screwshooter almost as old as the trailer. It was bought in the early 70's. We have changed the cord a few times and changed the switch and brushes. I think Milwakee makes a angled drill like the Souix also.
Over all anything made by Makita or Milwakee will be well made. Dewalt is hit or miss. They make so many models and some are great, some are worthless. You will find better quality tools at a local hardware or tool store than you will at Lowes or HD. I have learned that tools from lowes are not trust worthy. I think they buy all the tools made on Monday morning and Friday afternoon for a discount.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:36 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
I use a 20.4 Volt brand X I also use it for the stabalizing jacks
I was a bit disapointed that these jacks where manual and not electrick
the 20.4 Volt works great on this
This cheap 39 euro drill came with a two year warenty
if it breaks they replace with a new one
19,50 euro a year I can't buy a de walt for that

remco
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 07:08 PM   #11
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I use the 9.6V Makita Drills every day I work.
I bought extra batteries, and the matching flashlight and small circular saw.
I think they're absolutely professional and simply great.
The 9.6 V lasts reasonably long and echarges quick.
Not much torque, but plenty to drill 1/4 in holes in airstream frames, for example. Mine have 2 speeds, and a clutch, so they are also great screwdriver guns.
Unthinkable to work without them.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
After running into problems with a Black & Decker badged Dewalt, I bought an 18 v. Makita. That was 3 years ago and both batteries are still going strong even though I use the heck out of it. Best money I ever spent. Last year I did a yahoo shoping search and found a Makita polisher that I have been compounding the trailer with. Also a good investment. I'm sold on Makita.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 08:16 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to jim8860
Buy a name brand drill in the long run it will be cheaper. The Sears drills are ok but the don't real hold up on a every day heavy use but, they do have a 1 year no question return warrantee.SAVE YOUR RECEIPT!!! all other you have to send out. Black and Decker and other low priced drills just don't last plus they have a low run time .They look good on paper but not in real use.
jim8860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 01:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Would the 9.6 volt drill handle drilling out the exterior bucket rivits?

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 01:46 PM   #15
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Yep, It is what I have used. I know for a fact it is what PeterH used to do his.

I found a sweet deal at a pawn shop recently on a 9.6 with 2 batteries and a charger for 29.00 and it all works. Now I have one for the house and one for the MH!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 03:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Brett

Thanks - thats what I figured - and the fact that Peter used one for his skin replacement is really good to hear.

How I've got to decide if I want to buy a cordless drill or a Honda generator.

Hmmmm

Ken J.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:31 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by davidz71
After running into problems with a Black & Decker badged Dewalt, I bought an 18 v. Makita. That was 3 years ago and both batteries are still going strong even though I use the heck out of it. Best money I ever spent. Last year I did a yahoo shoping search and found a Makita polisher that I have been compounding the trailer with. Also a good investment. I'm sold on Makita.
davidz71 are you saying that DeWalt makes Black & Decker?
or vice-versa?

No telling who makes SearsCraftsmen (changes with each contract sometimes).
Guess I'll eliminate all of those and look at Bosch and Makita.
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 05:28 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Makita

Here is the model number of the current version of the Makita cordless I use all the time. The Makita web site calls it
"The Worlds' Most Popular Job site Driver-Drill".

6095DWBE - 9.6V 3/8" Cordless Driver-Drill Kit (2-Speed, Variable Speed, Reversible)
this is the whole kit with two batteries, charger and a case. About $140 new.

This drill is proven to last forever. The batteries are usually cheaper than every other brand. Last time I checked they were about $38.

We have had this drill for years. IT has served us well. This is a tough lightly drill.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Harbour Freight has them for 99.99

Ken J.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Makita.

I boycotte Black and Decker and Dewalt (same ownership). The company is not understanding and actively Harrasses people for selling Yellow drills on Ebay.

Yep you read that right. Buddy had a cheap yellow china drill with a oran trigger, black cord and black chuck that was sold by Harbor Freight. He recieved it as a gift for X-Mas. He had no use for it because he has several drills including floor model drill press.

Put it on Ebay and there was NO refference to Dewalt, The original packaging was visiable and it had not refference as well. He simply listed it as a drill. Dewalt had EBay pull the auction because it was Yellow and they decided he was trying to make people think it was a Dewalt Product. Some how Dewalt also has a Pattent on Black and Yellow tools. I guess Osha standars go out the door with Safety yellow on potential danger items. I Guess I need to Sue Fluke for making my Certified Meter with a yellow housing.

Anyway that's why I will not longer buy their products. Several hundred other online friends feel the same way.

I have been abusing Makita products for close to 18 years in my profession. In particular I use many of their cordless products. The only failures I have EVER had was the switches wearing out after 4-5 years of constant use installing car phones. The swiches are available and the repair is under $25 in most cases. I have had luck clenaing them up and filing the contacts.

I have Makita batteries that are 12 years old that still work acceptably.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote