Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2002, 03:57 AM   #1
Krazykraut

Thumbs up My first major appreciation for my MH

I have been living in the Houston area for the past 35 years. I'm originally German import. We always wanted to go to the New Braunsfels Wurstfest but never could make plans for motel 6 months in advance, due to my occupation. So, this year we where ready with our 26 ft Airstream. Got up at 6am on a Saturday, cranked up the coach and headed out I10 to New Braunsfels. Learned something new while driving down I10. Set the cruise to 75mph and when those big trucks bass you, the cruise control knows exactly how much to accelerate when you get caught in the draft. We got there and found one of them, Parking here for the wurstfest, lots (Knights of Columbus) right across the street from the main entrance. Just like in Germany this time of the year, it was cold (52) and raining. It was fun, a lot of beer and potato pancakes (my favored). I felt like I was at home again. We left there about 11PM went across the street got into the coach and went to sleep. No driving back to motel or stopping for a snack it was all right there at hand. THAT'S WHEN I REALIZED HOW MUCH I APPRECIATED MY NEW TOY.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:34 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Wurstfest

Wurstfest is a lot of fun. That's where I get my polka dancing fix just about every fall. I missed it this year, though.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 04:31 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
whats a "REAL AIRSTREAM"

very nice LY you have very sharp
Old 11-23-2002, 05:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally posted by NewStreamer
A real Airstream is made of Aluminium,
To put an Airstream decal on something else doesn't make it an AS
An AS is what Wally designed , period.

Ron
How Rude !!
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 05:23 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
No wonder people with Airstreams get a bad reputation with RUDE comments like that. I find that comment very unfortunate.

Thanks for removing that comment it was not a nice thing to say as his comment is not as well.

But my question is why isn't his comment removed it has the same tone as what mine had. Or do all the Airstream owners feel this way..

Very SAD day indeed..

To make someone feel as if they do not belong here is very rude...
Old 11-23-2002, 04:40 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
I guess a person states how happy he is about his new 26' motorhome the "Fiberglass" model and he gets a comment like

"To put an Airstream decal on something else doesn't make it an AS an AS is what Wally designed , period."

To me it was an uncaring comment to even post that in his post.

Just be kind to other none Aluminum skinned owners. They have feelings to..
Old 11-23-2002, 05:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
You must be a very brave and courageous man to confront such frightening and dangerous beasts...

A real Airstream is made of Aluminium,
To put an Airstream decal on something else doesn't make it an AS
An AS is what Wally designed , period.

I had no intention of being rude or offensive, and I don't understand why my remark should be taken as a personal matter.

The MH was purchased at an Airstream dealer, serviced by an Airstream dealer, it is an Airstream. Argosy's weren't accepted for years either by Airstream elitists, catch up with the times. If you think your remarks aren't rude and offensive, we disagree.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 06:27 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
NewStreamer: I was just at the factory on Friday, and I saw Airstream motorhomes being built right next to Airstream trailers, by Airstream employees, in a blue building that had "Airstream" on the front of it.

BMW makes motorcycles as well as cars, so does Honda. General Motors made everything from refridgerators to train locomotives. I don't see your point.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 07:39 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
Ok Thor owns your right, other companies. But they are not built at the Airstream plant. There built at there plants. But the Motorhome in question is. Did Wally design the Airstream Classic motorhome? No he had passed away in 1962. The motorhome was not built till 1979 in which I believe was an Argosy. So are you saying its not a true Airstream as well. INcluding the Classic motorhome.

Are you saying anything that is not the original design is not a true blue Airstream? So all other designs from its original look is not a real thing. You are still very prejudice in your thoughts.

The motorhome you are refering to is built in Jackson Center, Ohio and is built by the same people that build their trailers. If you have a preference to the Airstream trailer then you most definatly have that right.

I will post a quote I found on the web from a page about a LY motorhome. You might find it enlightning..

"In 1989, Airstream rolled out the all-new Land Yacht motor-home. In contrast to the classic this motor-home featured laminated fiberglass construction and had front and rear end caps so innovative that a patent was granted for them. The Land Yacht was an immediate success and is still the best-selling Airstream motor-home. "

Notice it says "Airstream motor-home"

Thats 10 years after the None Wally designed Motorhome was realeased.

Ford,GM,Chrysler and everyone else that built anything from its original look is not really there car anymore its someone elses. Thats pretty much what is being said.
Old 11-24-2002, 09:04 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Ron -

When Ford FIRST built his cars - do YOU remember what they looked like? Way back when?

Now look at today's Fords - they look NOTHING like the cars from the 1920's (etc.). Can we still call a Taurus a Ford? How about a Mustang? A Focus? Etc.?

Come on, Ron. Expand your mind and concede the fact that your point is pretty weak.

I believe this forum won't tolerate opinions that alienate people. Nobody that has answered your reply has concurred with you. Can't you get the hint?
eraffety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 10:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Ron,

I don't think it matters whether you think that a fiberglass unit could ever be considered an "Airstream". I have seen all the arguments in this thread, and they don't really address what I see as the real issue here.

To quote Emily:
Quote:
I believe this forum won't tolerate opinions that alienate people. Nobody that has answered your reply has concurred with you. Can't you get the hint?
The real issue is about alienating others. I think the consensus is that your implication in your first post in this thread, that CrazyKraut doesn't drive an Airstream is what riled up the population.

You are entitled to your opinion, I would be the last person to try to deny you that. But I do encourage you to consider before sharing opinions in a non-technical thread that are likely to make others feel unwelcome here or rejected.

In that same vein, I find CrazyKraut's on-screen name mildly offensive. But he has chosen that name for himself. Nobody else labeled him. With my German heritage, I would be offended if someone aimed that title at me, but it's his choice for himself.

Ron, we want you here. We just don't want others to feel excluded.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:06 AM   #12
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Thumbs down C.mon now

An Airstream is anything made by Airstream. Period!

Please don't alienate our B-Van owners. They have an Airstream just as much as I have an Airstream and most of them have been Airstreamers a lot longer than I have.

Our unit has B-Van owners that occasionally tow a Bubble. Do they become non-Airstreamers when they unhitch the Bubble? I don't think so.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 10:10 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Ron,

Had you merely said that later model Airstreams weren't ORIGINAL Airstreams, I can venture to bet that no one would have argued with you. These "ORIGINAL" Airstreams are much valued and revered because of the innovative design and cannot be honorably replicated. However, you said that (and I am paraphrasing here) fiberglass bodied Airstreams were not REAL Airstreams because they weren't aluminum. That statement alone is alienating because it EXCLUDES a whole group of people unjustly as well as simply UNTRUE.

We also don't want to alienate you, either, Ron. We welcome your opinions as long as they don't make people feel unwelcome or are not grounded in fact.

You could have stated your opinion in this way: You could have said that you are unhappy with Airstream moving forward with the fiberglass design and favor the original aluminum design over the newer style. That opinion certainly would not have alienated anyone, but rather would have shown your preference for the classically designed Airstream and we all would have been HAPPY CAMPERS.
eraffety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 04:01 AM   #14
Krazykraut

Lightbulb All this hate and discontent!

Ok, i di'nt want to start a this treat, with so much discontent. I don't know why krazykraut is so offensive to other germans on here? Especially when I am genuine imported german and inherited that name during my days in Vietnam, which is another story. By using this name, I was hoping maybe to find some of my ol'buddies that are still alive. So, let's stop this tread with this one and educate each other on having fun Rving.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:41 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Re: All this hate and discontent!

Quote:
Originally posted by Krazykraut
Ok, i di'nt want to start a this treat, with so much discontent. I don't know why krazykraut is so offensive to other germans on here? Especially when I am genuine imported german and inherited that name during my days in Vietnam, which is another story.
Ok, as a Vietnam vet myself, a sailor. I now would like to hear the War Story. If it is ok.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 11-26-2002, 10:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have edited other threads with posts that "poke" at someone, however in this one Newstreamer started "wth all due respect" before he stated his somewhat mis-guided opinion.....so I left it alone.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 05:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I "poke" at things, not people, and some of you don't seem to get it.

You made comments on an Airstream board knocking Airstreams. It is understandable when you do this that it will raise a huge negative reaction, people are passionate about these, they are going to take it personally. If you made these comments on a SOB board, you might have supporters. A lot of it is when or where a comment is made. You chose the wrong place.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 10:24 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
NewStreamer: You are wrong, not a valid comparison. In your example you say Chevrolet is building LADA cars. Fine. It is a LADA designed product, made with LADA parts assembled in a different location. John Deere used to have Yanmar build tractors for them in Japan. It was a John Deere design, but manufactured by Yanmar according to John Deere's plans and blueprints. So is it a Yanmar or a Deere? Of course it is a Deere.

The Airstream Motorhomes are DESIGNED and BUILT in Jackson Center, Ohio. They are AIRSTEAMS 100%.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aline.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	929  
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 11:07 AM   #19
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
cool pic, pick.

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 06:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
[QUOTE]Originally posted by NewStreamer
[B]This cool pic shows exactly what I try to explain in vain.

Ron

The picture shows Airstreams Trailers and Airstream Motor Homes coming off the same line. Is that what you are trying to explain?

It doesn’t show rebadged Holiday Rambler motor homes coming off the HR line as Airstream Motor Homes. That would be made by SOB.

I find it hard to believe you are still trying to justify you rude comment. I wouldn’t matter if the man camped in a tent with a Airstream Sticker on it, your comment was a attempt to belittle his motor home and make yourself feel superior.

Let me take this opportunity to wish you a happy Thanks Giving.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost