Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2015, 11:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Electrified 325 Chassis

I have a strange problem. While I was doing some work under my 325 I discovered, that my bumper and parts of the chassis were giving me a mild shock. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? Obviously there is a short somewhere. I unplugged the shore AC and the shocks stopped. I am thinking that this is going to be potentially hard to track down. If anyone has seen this and found the problem, it might give me some places to start checking.
morlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
First place to check is the outlet for correct polarity.

Then check the RV power cord for correct polarity.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Might be hard to track, and it might be that your neutral and hot wire are crossed in the plug OR In the receptacle you plug your trailer into.

First of all when trying to address this DO NOT BE THE LINK TO GROUND.

Do not touch the trailer and any ground at the same time EVER until the issue is resolved.

I am going to emphasize that in this condition, touching a ground and the trailer at the same time can be DEADLY.

Get a volt meter, and with the trailer UNPLUGGED turn off ALL trailer circuit breakers. touch one lead to a KNOWN good ground (the ground prong in an electric receptacle at your residence SHOULD be good), and touch the other to the trailer skin.

If you have voltage, either the trailer plug or the receptacle wiring is wired wrong.

If there is no voltage, WITH THE TRAILER UNPLUGGED, flip the breakers on one at a time, and when you are safely out of the trailer plug it in and check the skin for voltage. Continue the process until you find the offending circuit.

There is some danger here, if you are the slightest bit unsure of what you are doing, hire an electrician. Just putting a hand on the trailer in some circumstances can be lethal.

My bet is that the problem is going to be in the plug or receptacle.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
In short, on a 120 volt circuit, there should be NO current between the ground and neutral prongs in a receptacle, and there should ALWAYS be 120 volts between the ground prong and the hot prong.

If this is not the case something is wired wrong.

In a regular non RV style receptacle, the ground is the center prong, the neutral is the wide side blade, and the hot is the narrow side blade.

Sorry, I know what to do in a situation like this but it is hard to explain....

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
A Young boy was killed by an Electrified Airstream last June in Amboy, Illinois. A non-contact voltage detector should be used to locate the short. The trailer/motorhome frame should be grounded, so you will not be killed. The short could be anywhere in the circuits, as well as any on board appliances. Start with an ohmmeter between hot and ground to localize the problem. To start, Unplug everything, including the Converter. Go through all the 110 volt breakers, one at a time, plus check the source wiring and the 110 input cord.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote