Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2015, 06:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Dual rear wheels on P30

Has anyone ever had success in installing dual aluminum rims on the rear of their MH? I know they usually have the steel rim on the back inside, but I was able to purchase six aluminum rims and thought it would be nice to put them all on if possible. I don't have a Tag axle. I think the problem with being able to do this is the length of the studs. Any thought would be appreciated.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
My reply should be with the disclaimer "Don't quote me on this".

I can see your reasoning to mount all aluminum as it would ease tire rotation and again lower wheel unsprung weight.

There are a couple of issues with mounting another aluminum rim inboard on the dually.

1) As you alluded to in your post, the length of the wheel stud is too short. Yes you could still mount the rim but there would be no threads showing beyond the lug nut, which is not a good thing.

2) Placing an aluminum rim up against another aluminum rim will eventually result in the two rims effectively welding themselves together. Just like steel rims can weld themselves to steel hubs with corrosion, the same happens to aluminum. Could you place some sort of gasket between the two rims? Yes you could, but since your wheel studs are too short to begin with.........

3) I don't know if anyone has found longer wheel studs. You could custom make some but that could be cost prohibitive. The gasket material between the rims would also have to be something that wouldn't collapse or compress as that would lead to wheel nuts coming loose.

This is one of those, I wish I could, but maybe should just stay with what works.
The upside is, I've heard, that the tires are fairly easy to bar off with some technic and if you're using dynabeads, you wouldn't need to rebalance.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Thanks for the reply Tony. I did some checking around and found a company called Dorman's that specializes in OEM braking parts and found a stud that should work. I also was told that by using a product called Anti-Seize, if applied between the aluminum wheels will keep them from welding together if re-applied at rotations. I am still weighing the options and will have the studs size and length double checked when I have my rear brakes done, to make sure they will work. If it doesn't work I couldn't find any other options for a workable replacement stud on a P30 chassis.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Why I hadn't thought of anti seize myself I don't know, as I use it all the time between the hubs on my cars and the rims, aluminum or steel.

Keep us apprised of the longer studs as I'm sure more people out there including myself would like to do the same. The fact that I would have to run steel on the inside has stopped me from going alloy, although I'd love to go 22.5 and metric as that would really open up tire choice without sacrificing speed due to RPM.

Good sleuthing Gloran
Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Tony, as it turned out the needed longer studs were not the problem. They would have worked. what I found out is that the hubs on my MH (older coaches than my 93 may be different than my hubs) have a small larger diameter ledge next to the drum that centers the rims, its extends out only about a 1/2 inch. Its large enough to accept the thickness of the steel rim and catches enough of the outside aluminum rim to center it also. By installing an aluminum rim on the inside, its thickness about 1/2 inch takes away all of hubs centering ledge leaving nothing to center the outside aluminum wheel on, the studs won't center the wheel on the hub.
Thanks for your input, Randy