Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2017, 06:17 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Anyone successfully modernize plumbing in their vintage ambassador?

It's been a long road to get our 64 Ambassador to where we are proud of it. Just back from an EPIC trip to the Shenandoah Mountains. There's one last major hurdle, that we've avoided, but I think it's time to face the music... PLUMBING.

It's no secret that the plumbing in these older Airstreams are less than ideal (it sucks). Our current situation has us with a small black tank only. We carry the dreadful blueboy with us. The airstream is also very low, so I have to "coax" the sewer line like a slinky all the time to get the grey water to go into the blueboy (as if just using it wasn't bad enough). We have new axles on our ambassador, but it's still not high enough to let the water find just a straight path, because the adapters are rigid and add 3-4 inches on top of the blue boy. Anyway, you get it, enough about that...

I see modern airstreams and am very envious of the added height and their sophisticated high capacity grey/black tanks. However, the inside of our airstream is "high style country", and we can't keep that with a more modern model.

I've read everything that I could google, but still haven't actually found a thread that shows a successful plumbing update. Has anyone done this to the point where they are happy? Ideally, I have a large capacity grey water tank and a larger black tank (but can live with the current black tank if we had to). I know it's too much to ask, but I'd LOVE a meter to check on both tanks if possible. Not knowing isn't great either.

Thanks in advance for any help or insight! We'd love to hang in there with our awesome 64', it's just the plumbing that is the WORST!!!!
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
It is possible

I added both black and gray tanks to my 55 Flying Cloud and am getting ready to add a gray tank to my 67 Overlander. On the FC I went with a single "slim" tank from VTS. These tanks are 3.5" high and fit between the floor and the belly pan and hold 16 gallons. Because of geometry the full capacity is rarely achievable. I should have installed two and plumbed them together. On the Overlander I plan to install a more conventional gray tank near the axle and just accept the fact that it will protrude below the belly pan. A lot depends on how your trailer is laid out and where you have access for plumbing runs...
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:22 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
do you happen to have a pic of the grey tank install?
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hubby built our new grey and black tanks from ABS plastic (I think). Stinky work, but they work well. We ganged 2 smaller grey tanks together to fit in the spaces we have. We completely replumbed our trailer as part of the rebuild with Pex. It's all in our thread "Little Girl Refurb". Retro plumbing will probably be a little harder since you'll have to "snake" plumbing around. It's doable though as I know others have done it.
Good luck!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote