Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2016, 08:03 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Successfully removed scratches

Had nice success removing the first "visible from a distance" scratches from our Airstream. If you get just the right view angle you can still see light scratches in a couple places but it's good enough for me! See the photos for "before" and "after".

I used a random orbital from Griot's Garage along with one of their polishes designed to remove scratches. I've been using their products for years on cars and enjoy their products and educational tools.

After that I applied the first sealant (essentially a long-lasting wax) I've ever put on our Airstream. These Airstreams are a lot more square footage than a car. In other words, it took a lot more time than waxing my Miata !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1050.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	276812   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1055.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	276813  

Name:	IMG_1051.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	276814   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1056.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	276815  

Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Nice results

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Looks good! I used a Griot's Garage polish (apparently discontinued now, or at least repackaged) and Spray-On Wax on my 25. It looked great. Now I have to do my 30, and it has some scratches. Thanks for the process and encouragement.

Which sealant did you use?

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:31 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Looks good! I used a Griot's Garage polish (apparently discontinued now, or at least repackaged) and Spray-On Wax on my 25. It looked great. Now I have to do my 30, and it has some scratches. Thanks for the process and encouragement.

Which sealant did you use?

Al
I used their One-Step Sealant. Here's what their website says about the product:
Get all the benefits of our ultra-durable Paint Sealant mixed with a gentle polish to remove oxidation, fine scratches, and swirl marks.
A light polish and synthetic sealant in one product
Reveals vivid color, depth, and clarity
Delivers long-term synthetic paint protection

I like the One-Step Sealant because it combines a light polish for all of the normal little scratches and abrasions with a sealant in one product. And the sealant lasts longer than a traditional wax.

You can also use the Spray-On Wax you mentioned after washing if you want to add a wee bit of wax protection after each wash. I've used the Spray-On Wax on my cars but as I mentioned in the original post...these Airstreams are big which means more time!

And, yes, they repackaged their polish names. Quite confusing to me!
Old 12-17-2016, 10:35 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Clear coats

Ya know, I've been thinking over the last few years that the only reason one can get these amazing "fix-it" results is because of these unbelievably fabulous clear coats folks have developed for painted vehicles/trailers/etc.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post

I used a random orbital from Griot's Garage along with one of their polishes designed to remove scratches. I've been using their products for years on cars and enjoy their products and educational tools.
Which buffer did you use?
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
Which buffer did you use?
I use the Griot's Garage 6" random orbital. Is that what you were asking?

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...dom+orbital.do

I use the same random orbital on all our vehicles.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
I have similar scratches on our AS. Which polish did you use?
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
I use the Griot's Garage 6" random orbital. Is that what you were asking?

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...dom+orbital.do

I use the same random orbital on all our vehicles.
Yes, thanks. Do you give on site demonstrations?😄
Old 12-18-2016, 06:00 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bganso View Post
I have similar scratches on our AS. Which polish did you use?
For the deepest scratches (which these scratches qualified as, in my eyes) I used the Boss Fast Correcting Cream. https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...fType=&from=fn

The goal is to use the least abrasive polish/cream as possible as the polish wears away some of the clear coat on the aluminum/or car finish to "smooth" away the scratch. But given the severity of the scratches I had I went for the more agressive aforementioned polish/cream.

There were a few other high areas along the "door" side of the Airstream (probably all tree branch scratches after two years of use) that needed this same polish. After tending these I then used the One-Step Sealant for the entire trailer which has a bit of polish and sealant (like a longer lasting wax). My hope is to not look back for two years .

All of these steps were done after a thorough washing and "claying" of the Airstream. Four step process, one could say. Clean, clay, polish deep scratches, polish/seal.

Exhale .
Old 12-18-2016, 06:09 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
Yes, thanks. Do you give on site demonstrations?😄
Good one ! Sure, I would gladly show folks. Seriously. I learned how to do all this from a friend when I purchased a very lightly used Miata six years ago and wanted to keep it sweet looking. Before that I had only waxed a car twice in my whole life !

The Griot's website has lots of good educational videos to learn how to do this. They do a good job of educating.....and hence selling their product . Easy to spend a bunch of money...and time . It can be its own entire hobby!
Old 12-18-2016, 06:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Good one ! Sure, I would gladly show folks. Seriously. I learned how to do all this from a friend when I purchased a very lightly used Miata six years ago and wanted to keep it sweet looking. Before that I had only waxed a car twice in my whole life !

The Griot's website has lots of good educational videos to learn how to do this. They do a good job of educating.....and hence selling their product . Easy to spend a bunch of money...and time . It can be its own entire hobby!
We were in Eugene earlier this year. I'll check out those videos.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:34 AM   #13
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
Which pads did you use? I am about to order the buffer. I already have all their polishes I need to get started.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:21 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCurtis View Post
Which pads did you use? I am about to order the buffer. I already have all their polishes I need to get started.
15yrs ago when I first started using Griot's I ordered their 'Random Orbital', it was a re-branded Porter Cable🤔
Can't comment on their new orbital.

I use a 6" red foam pad to apply the One Step.

Most all of my cosmetic vehicle maintenance is done with Griot's, Sooper products with GREAT customer service.

POI...do NOT over do it with scratch REMOVAL. You do NOT want to go thru the clear coat. Better to make in invisible from 10'.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-15-2021, 02:49 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
just to pile on this one... I have a couple decent tree branch scratches I need to treat.

I just called Griot's, and they suggested I purchase the G9 orbital, a set of 6.5" orange BOSS™ CORRECTING FOAM PADS and a 16oz bottle of BOSS™ CORRECTING CREAM for the "prep" on the scratches. Also picked up a set of 6.5" red waxing pads for applying the Walbernize super seal I already have.

**they said the FAST correcting cream might be overkill for me, since my scratches are, IMO, moderate to lite**

I would imagine the "correcting cream" has the potential to scratch further if you overuse it? Anyone have any suggestions on applying it?

I'll update on how it goes.

Chris
Oregon_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:54 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
For the deepest scratches (which these scratches qualified as, in my eyes) I used the Boss Fast Correcting Cream. https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...fType=&from=fn

The goal is to use the least abrasive polish/cream as possible as the polish wears away some of the clear coat on the aluminum/or car finish to "smooth" away the scratch. But given the severity of the scratches I had I went for the more agressive aforementioned polish/cream.

There were a few other high areas along the "door" side of the Airstream (probably all tree branch scratches after two years of use) that needed this same polish. After tending these I then used the One-Step Sealant for the entire trailer which has a bit of polish and sealant (like a longer lasting wax). My hope is to not look back for two years .

All of these steps were done after a thorough washing and "claying" of the Airstream. Four step process, one could say. Clean, clay, polish deep scratches, polish/seal.

Exhale .
Meeks - any reason you went with Griot's polish/seal and not the Walbernize Super Seal? I'm a novice here, not sure why I would use one or another.
Oregon_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 03:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Subscribed
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:06 AM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon_dude View Post
Meeks - any reason you went with Griot's polish/seal and not the Walbernize Super Seal? I'm a novice here, not sure why I would use one or another.
I've used One Step for years...it's simply the Best, for light blemishes and year long protection.

POI...I would not use the 'severe correcting cream' on the AS panels. Go with medium or fine and go a bit slower with less chance of 'working thru' the coating.

Bob
🇺🇸

IMHO All their 'car care' products are great.

17yrs SFSG
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	619CCC2B-887D-4B15-8685-BE29F2F6E089_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	406410   Click image for larger version

Name:	C1933D18-02D9-4E17-B4BE-768CA55CAED6_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	371.5 KB
ID:	406411  

Old 10-16-2021, 03:22 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon_dude View Post
just to pile on this one... I have a couple decent tree branch scratches I need to treat.

I just called Griot's, and they suggested I purchase the G9 orbital, a set of 6.5" orange BOSS™ CORRECTING FOAM PADS and a 16oz bottle of BOSS™ CORRECTING CREAM for the "prep" on the scratches. Also picked up a set of 6.5" red waxing pads for applying the Walbernize super seal I already have.

**they said the FAST correcting cream might be overkill for me, since my scratches are, IMO, moderate to lite**

I would imagine the "correcting cream" has the potential to scratch further if you overuse it? Anyone have any suggestions on applying it?

I'll update on how it goes.

Chris

Hi Chris,

You’ve got the right “correcting cream” and random orbital. Griot’s has good videos on their website as to how to apply.

But in a nutshell you put a quarter size dollop of correcting cream on the pad which is on the random orbital. Set the random orbital speed to what’s recommended on the correcting cream bottle directions. Place pad onto Airstream and then turn on orbital. Move orbital in a left to right and then an up and down pattern (or vice versa) moving side to side as you go so you don’t stay in one place. It will take multiple passes to “wear down” some of the clear coat so that the scratches are not visible.

If after a number of applications you are not getting the results you want then you could order the “fast correcting cream” which is essentially more abrasive. Griot’s recommends starting with less abrasive and working your way to more abrasive if needed. You want to take off as little clear coat as possible because over 10+ years (a guess at timeline) it might become a problem with a thinner clear coat. But unless you are polishing frequently I would doubt this would ever be a problem.

Like any project you will probably start out timidly like I did and by the end you’ll have the hang of it and be more aggressive to get the results you want.

Regarding the Walbernize Super Seal vs. Griot’s similar product…I imagine they both do a good job and get er done! I just chose Griot’s to keep ordering easy from one company.

It takes some time but it is super satisfying to have your Airstream looking like new again! I really couldn’t see any scratch marks when I was done. Kinda like magic!

Chris (also Chris )
Old 10-16-2021, 03:25 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Just saw Bob’s above post.

What he said too !