Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 1961 - 1963 Bambi
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2011, 12:03 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
Do the end caps in a 1963 Bambi come out in one piece ?

Seems like I saw somewhere that the end caps in the early AS, can come out in a single piece. In looking closely at the end cap it appears that the rivets around the edge are blind rivets, however the rivets inside the end cap seems to be buck rivets.

If they are buck rivets it would seem the end caps were assembled with access to both side, so it would seem the end caps can be removed as a single piece.

Is that right? Can the end caps be snaked out the door if in one peice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	buck&popv2.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	138470  
Aktundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
For a 1959 you can certainly pull them out through the door, and removing them was easy since the pop rivets were used and those are easier than pie to drill through. 63 should be similar. Are both your endcaps aluminum? You are referencing both and mentioning rivets in the middle, but I was under the assumption that after around 1958 or so they had at least one of the endcaps fiberglass if not both.

We have not removed the fiberglass endcap yet (only interior skin untouched so far), but I am positive it would come out with another person helping to guide it through the door.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:18 AM   #3
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
63 has fiberglass end caps and yes they go out the door.

As you remove panels, if it is on the interior and it is a bucked rivet, do not drill it out. Roof panels are made on a bench using bucked rivets then slid in a window to be installed as one larger piece.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:21 AM   #4
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
now I look at the photo and see you have a segmented end cap, right Bambi. It is one big unit and will go out the door(easier than if it were fiberglass) Do not drill bucked rivets if they are on the interior...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
My 1964 Bambi II has aluminum endcaps. I removed mine by removing only the blind rivets on the edges (just like yours) and leaving the bucked rivets in place. They're sitting in my garage right now. I stripped them before removing them because I want to have them polished when I put them back in.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
The forum kicks a@@ !

After reading about buck vs blind rivets, rivet scrapers, and noticing several colors of paint and cabinetry. I figured that the pop rivets I was seeing inside, were just part of some repairs/refurbishment over the last 50 years.

Trying to plan a full monty with consideration that there is a good chance we will see snow while the shell is on blocks. Trying to balance the extra sturctural integrity from leaving parts of the interior skin in, against the extra weight, higher center of gravity, and getting the frame out and back in as fast as time and budget will allow.

Once back down on the frame & floor, I figure I can put some heat inside if snow load becomes a concern, while interior skin, windows or other elements acontributing to the structural integrity are removed.
Aktundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktundra View Post
Once back down on the frame & floor, I figure I can put some heat inside if snow load becomes a concern, while interior skin, windows or other elements acontributing to the structural integrity are removed.
Hey, and then you'll have a free leak test while you're at it!

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Well I learn something today! I knew that the Bambi's are not like the rest on the outside segments but had no Idea that the inside did not uses the fiberglass one piece that 60 and newer globe trotter and bigger trailers uses... So is it true that none of the vintage Bambi's never used the fiber glass inside end caps???
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags