Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2006, 07:53 PM   #41
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Also, many modern Class A motorhomes remove their engine up into the cabin and out the entry door.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:50 PM   #42
JBK
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grand Rapids , Up in the Nort' Woods of Minn.
Man, if I was going to all that trouble, I would seriously consider putting a diesel mill in there. Sounds a little more work than replacing the 351 in my old Mach I.

JB
Old 10-25-2006, 05:54 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Hummmmmmmm, very interesting problem Andrew. I agree with the angle grinder idea though. Cutting the bumper off is a much better idea than trying to extract the motor any other way.
The crate 502 is likely the best long term fix... not for your wallet but as an investment in time. It's the little things that will brake the bank though. Renewing things like rad, waterpump, belts etc. all add up. Plan ahead.... good thing you're planning to camp in the future.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:32 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Thinking Used?

I saw 2 trucks recently that had good motors but bad bodies.One was a Cummings diesel the other a GM 454. How about finding a vehicle with good running gear for a trade. Time is money but with the right prospect you could come out ahead. Good Luck whatever you do.
Robert
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:49 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
Andrew,

I am considering the same job,so I will be watching your progress.My 75,26' burns a quart of oil every 200 miles and has some knocking when I step on the gas.I dont want to do it but theas things never get better by them selves. I am going to try to milk another year out of her.I will say this about the 454 it is one tough engine when i bought mine the plug wires were messed up and i was climing hills and drove her about 400 miles before i figured it out ,after that i drove another 3000 miles. Once home i did a compression test 140-150 lbs. and the oil pres. stays around 40. I have so many other things to fix I want to put off an engine rebuild as long as possible.You should try to find a garage with a flat driveway you could park in front of for a month or two.A real good freind or rent one best of luck to you. oh yeah crate engines run around $2000. eazy to find on internet.

bibbs
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:45 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Andrew, I got my new Northern Tool + Equipment catalog in the mail today and thought about you. They've got rolling engine stands for not a lot of money. I'm still of a mind to rent the hoist for a weekend on each end of the extraction and reinstall.
How'd you make out on the bumper removal?

Bibbs, the down side to making it last another year is the likelyhood of a catastrophic failure while on the road. If the engine comes apart while you're going down the road I hope it's in just the right spot for a safe recovery.
I once had a Rabbit diesel come apart on my way to work... I coasted into my regular parking spot and left it there for about two weeks until someone came asking if it was for sale.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 11-16-2006, 08:44 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
glen you are right ill be shure to have towing insurance next time out.I just have so many other projects to do on the beast...and I dont have a good spot to work on it.I need to cut the seccond floor out of my barn and build a new door. that was real good luck on the vw.
bibbs
Old 11-17-2006, 02:13 PM   #48
76 Silver Argosy

1975 26' Argosy 26
Fallbrook , Southern California
Send a message via Yahoo to abridges01
I have the grinder ready!

OK, I have purchased a grinder as I can see this is the only way of extracting the lump ghiven my lack of psycho-levitational abilities. I will plan finding a local welder who can confirm they have the abilities to glue the front end back on once I've done my worst, and then it's all systems go for Ethyl!

While I am scrimping and saving up the money (I know you're hungry child but daddy needs the money for his hobby... Kidding!) for the crate engine from Mr. Goodwrench, I plan on pulling the transmission also, as I have no idea how long since it received a little TLC and suspect it is well overdue in that department. Anyone got any recommendations as to where I might take it down here in San Diego county?

For all you skinned nuckle types, here's a picture of Ethyl's current state showing the two welded fillets i will be grinding off to enable me to remove the front end - unless anyone knows of good reason why I should not...

Stand by Houston...

Cheers,

Andrew

"Experience is something you never have... until just after you need it!"
abridges01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:59 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
andrew
just go for it any welder can put it back,if you can get at it with a grinder he can weld it back.Is that the AC compresser on the top? I am trying to figure it out,as mine was removed brackets and all.
good luck bibbs
Old 11-17-2006, 04:48 PM   #50
76 Silver Argosy

1975 26' Argosy 26
Argosy AC Compressor

G'day Bibbs:

Yes, you are correct, that's the AC compressor - now removed. I am in two minds about reinstalling it, given it's non-operational condition, weight and potential engine drag/power consumption, though the wife may have other ideas as she's rather partial to her air conditioning.

Anyway, here's a couple of views of the compressor, with bracketry. i have superimposed the label to help you fond a suitable replacement for yours.

I hope this helps?

Cheers,

Andrew

Old 11-17-2006, 04:51 PM   #51
76 Silver Argosy

1975 26' Argosy 26
Hey Bibbs:

I made this pics large to help in their identification, let me know when you're doen with them and I'll take themn down.

Also, let me know if you need pictures of anything else, I am trying to complete a reasonable photo documentation (mainly to help me remember where everything goes!), so have a few photos available.

cheers,

Andrew

Old 11-18-2006, 09:10 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Andrew, I've lived with just the overhead air and my generator running to provide cooling for day to day travel. I'm with you and the extra drag, not to mention the cost of recommissioning the engine driven a/c.
Good luck with the grinder.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 11-18-2006, 07:40 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
Andrew
Thank you so much for taking the time to post thoes pictures I got it,so you can take them down any time.I dont have a generator that works so i realy want AC when driving.That bracket looks like its an engeneering misfit.I will start looking for one soon.I think you are makeing great progress on your removal.I hope you will keep putting up pictures,of the job.

bibbs
Old 11-18-2006, 10:40 PM   #54
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Andrew,
Maybe I am seeing an illusion in your picture but it appears to me that if you removed the AC compessor, the intake manifold, dropped the oil pan and oil pump (and possibly removed the heads) all in frame, then it would fit through the opening. Is it width (which looks fine if I follow the square tubing frame back) or height than you are worried about? I would hate for you to cut up the frame if you didn't need to do it.

BTW - that AC compressor bracket does look like a Frankenstein. Mine connects the lower bolts and has an adjustable slotted arm on top so you can tension the belts. It also sits more to the drivers side and lower down than yours.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:58 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Andrew, Steven hits the nail on the head. I've thought about this too. Once you get all the accessories off as well as the deep oil pan and intake / heads, the short block will be both lighter and smaller. If you're rebuilding you need to be very carful of the bottom end while pulling it out but it should come out of the opening you've cleared.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 11-19-2006, 09:06 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I think so too...

I have a feeling that the engine should just sqeak out. It doesn't seem much smaller (infact bigger) than what I had to work with to pull the engine out of my Astro. Try stripping it and pulling, you have nothing really to loose. Bolting it onto the deck with the intake manifold off will give you lots of room.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:19 AM   #57
76 Silver Argosy

1975 26' Argosy 26
Just a little late!

Hi folks:

Oh no this is what I feared most - I took a final look at this post before going to work with the angle grinder - and have now cut one stay pretty much entirely from the front horizontal beam! No worry, once I remove the whole front end I think it will be a whole lot easier to remove the engine complete. Then I simply need slide the new lump in and weld it all back together and connect a few hoses and we're good to go... easy

As mentioned earlier, a lack of funds means this is not going to be a fast project, so I plan on doing a lot of other work while Ethyl's disassembled, so having the front off (providing she doesn't let go with a bang and shift her geometry massively) should make these tasks a great deal easier... am I convincing anyone else here?

Cheers,

Andrew

Old 11-19-2006, 10:38 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Andrew. Are you a Doctor or an Olympic Diver? You have a lot of guts diving right in and performing major surgery on Ethyl. Good luck on your adventures and may the rewards be great.

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:05 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
hi andrew,i was thinking about geting that welded back ,when your done,
I bet you could get a mobile welder like a fence and railing co,to come to your house to sew that back up.If you call around enough you might find a guy who will do it on his way home,for a little cash.
I agree with bob nice job just diveing in and doing this
good on you

bibbs
Old 11-26-2006, 08:11 PM   #60
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
Andrew,
Have been out of pocket for awhile and have just caught up with your latest thread on the motor apendectomy. Bummer!!!!!!!!!!! We had shared a thread about our respective unit generators shortly after we both purchased the Argosy's. I have absolutely nothing to add from a technical standpoint but, from reading the thread, you already have the "A" team on board anyway. My sole purpose for writing is to thank you for being an inspiration to some of us that have "weaker hearts" when confronted with challenges on our units. I really appreciate your "can do" attitude and willingness to share your story (success or otherwise). Speaking for myself, and probably others, your approach to this "temporary inconvenience" and the help being extended by other forum members is very motivating. Looking forward to seeing Ethyl come back together.