Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Vote on Stripe
black 2 9.52%
red 6 28.57%
tan 0 0%
teal 4 19.05%
woody - no change 9 42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2002, 09:36 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Exclamation BLUE....!!!

Only me...Greetings from over the pond...Kzener40, how U doin 2day ???... How's EVERYONE doin 2day...WOW...sure is an interesting site...I am learning lots here, thank's guys...
Tell me...BLUE...now let me TRY get this right...YR Stars 'n Stripes, Red, White & Blue...same colour as ours...OK, I understand U guys have a meaning for EACH colour, FORGIVE me 4 not remembering the adages, In my eyes OUR flag colours remind me of MOODS...RED is Rage, WHITE is Purity & Blue is for Woe, now what does yours stand for, BLUE, is that for courage ?.
'cos if it is, I'll back U all the way on that one, for anyone driving one of those BIG camper buses at only 9 M P G, gotta be brave, tell me guys, when U 'em gas-up, U gotta turn the engine OFF...NOT for safety reasons...but because U kinda use MORE gas than the pump can handle...LMAO...Only KIDDING guys...also over here when we blow-up our tyres at the gas station, the service WAS FREE, but as the wheels got BIGGER...it took LONGER to inflate them, thus COSTING the garage MORE in electricity to keep the compressor going...so NOW we have to put a coin in the slot, to get AIR...( TIGHT SODS !!! )... HONESTLY we do, well I don't I got one of those little comps: that run off my battery, and I do them myself....it's quicker that way...LOL, Well guys my TEA is ready now, so I gotta go, I'll read U all later, till then B-GOOD...
" HONK HONK "...Chris.....
Old 09-05-2002, 08:41 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

Here's my finished MH. Painted the silver, underbelly and the blue stripe. Here's one photo, the others are on my site.

kzener40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 12:26 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Thumbs up Very nice...

Hi there Kzener40...
...U sure that REALY is an R/V...as in recreational....and not RAILROAD vehicle...it looks like someone took a TRAIN CARRIAGE and fitted it onto a truck chassis....
Well they sure made a GOOD job of it...I realy like it, I do, honestly...it's HUGE...tell me R they all that size ???...the one we saw in FLA: was'nt as BIG as yours, and NOT as in as NICE condition either...
Great FOTO'S too...thank's for sharing them, and good luck with Her/Him...Chris.....
Old 09-06-2002, 03:22 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Ken- what prep work was done to the lower grey section? I am buying the compressor and gun to paint mine. It has a number of stone chips, but no cracks in the plastic around the bumpers, thankfully. Was yours sanded first? Also was that the Dupont metallic grey paint?

Chris- Ken's is 3/5 feet shorter than the 345's shown around the site. The model # denotes the length. 270 = 27 feet
310 = 31 feet and so on. They go all the way to 36 or 37 feet.
Still 3 feet shorter than some of the huge coaches that are on our highways.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 02:32 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Wink Inch by inch.........

Hi All...
Alansd...How U doin 2day....Thank's 4 the info, I thought they were big, but NOT HUGE..., I sometimes have to unload 40 foot trailers, as I work in warehousing, ( DONALDSON FILTERS ). I sometimes day dream I am in a R/V...and pretend to fit- it out, I know...I know...but it's my AGE....and I am a Brit...lol...
I see why people buy them, the couple we spoke with at FL:, who let us climb all over theirs were realy AMUSED by us...they were PROUD of their R/V....OR had NEVER met an English Family b4...( poor sods )...lmao, ( Don't think they will 4get us in a hurry )
It WAS an experience for ALL of us...I'M sorry I 4got their name, but are certain they came from OKLAHOMA... , the R/V was abt 25 x 7 x 7 and coloured a yellowy brown...with black side windows, and had MORE storage space than my SHED !!!....
Well I gotta big day ahead of me...SHOPPING... !!!
take care now, read u later...Chris.....
Old 09-08-2002, 07:53 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

Thanks Chris for the nice comments. The picture does make the MH look alot bigger than it really is. Alan, they sanded it down quite a bit. I believe they did use a DuPont paint. Would you like me to get the paint code for you. I'd also be more than happy to give you the name and phone number of the person who did it. He specializes here in Portland in older trailer and Motorhomes. He'd be more than happy to talk about what he did....(he's a great person).

I know some of you said don't go there with the Bubble but I couldn't resist. It turned out better than I ever dreamed. I'm now in the process of finishing the floor and wrapping the walls and ceilings with 1/8" quarter-sawn oak paneling. I'll send some pictures so you can get an idea of what's happening on the interior for those who might be curious.

Old 09-08-2002, 07:58 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

One last question for the group. In the photo you can see my MH with blue stripe in the background. Now vision me pulling the bubble with the MH. Do I put a small (subtle) stripe near the top on the Bubble to match? Now I know this is way out of line in terms of keeping it original but I've broken that rule and anything goes as long as it has "classey" in it.

Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks
Ken
Old 09-08-2002, 08:10 AM   #48
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I've seen motorhomes and toads with matching stripes or paint schemes, to me they look great.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 09:08 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

With a little cut and pasting this gives you an idea of what I'm thinking.....4 kids creates a challenge for sleeping quarters. I plan on pulling the Kids room (the bubble).

Old 09-08-2002, 09:48 AM   #50
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
How about putting the stripe on the same level?
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 10:33 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

The only problem is on the other side of the trailer the stripe would go through my door which creates some challenges to make it look right (like any of this looks right)....

Old 09-08-2002, 10:33 AM   #52
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I am having trouble following the problem with the stripe crossing the door?

How you end the stripe is personal preference.

I like the second option the best, but I would wrap the strip around the rear of the bubble.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 10:39 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

Would you wrap it in the front?
Old 09-08-2002, 10:42 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

Alan, how did you put the survey on this thread. Since you have probably recieved enough feedback on you colors would it be possible to change it to ask the following questions.

No Stripe on the Tailer?
Stripe in the middle?
Stripe on top?
Strip on top and middle?
Old 09-08-2002, 10:42 AM   #55
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
No I would not. With the stripe that high it would intersect the window?? Then when it is not connected to the MH it would look like any other trailer.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 09-08-2002, 10:45 AM   #56
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Ken,

Your best bet is to start a new thread. When you create it there are poll options at the bottom of the thread screen.

New threads will also help earn you karma points.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 09-08-2002, 11:35 AM   #57
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Customizing a MH?

Rather than chopping and such, how about....................

Attached Images

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 05:42 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Well, a decision of sorts has been made. I bought a roll of great looking striping tape 3" wide ( the same as the woodgrain section). The woodgrain now has a black background with a few silver pin stripes around the wood.

I bought a black and silver alternating stripe, with a two toned red center stripe. I think it will look great, but I am holding judgement until the roll gets here. The guy has a lot of 150' rolls available in different colors if anyone needs some. PM me for his email address.
My rig has the black body moldings around it, and the black stripe across the top, so I think it will all come together nicely.

While I was waiting, I repainted my spare tire mount, using the dupont metallic grey to match the bottom of the motorhome, it had been done originally but was dirty and scratched. I intend to repaint the lower grey of the motorhome soon as well.
Old 09-08-2002, 05:52 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
here is a side by side before I actually do the "dirty deed".
Old 09-22-2002, 05:18 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
apologies to the purists, but sfter 2 rainy weekends we finally finished the new striping. I am pleased with how it modernizes the look...hope y'all like it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newstripeas.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	576