Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Vote on Stripe
black 2 9.52%
red 6 28.57%
tan 0 0%
teal 4 19.05%
woody - no change 9 42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2002, 08:26 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I would love to see the wood done.
Also if there is a classic with red, that would be a good photo to post as well if anyone has one.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 08:57 AM   #22
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Fake Wood

I am with Ken on the yuk factor of fake wood. Or fake anything for that matter. What's the point? But, fortunately, taste is a subjective thing, everyone has got a different idea of what's cool, at least by reading this thread. I maintain that airstream blue is the way to go. Loose the wood.
Authenticity is great where it belongs and when it's right. Not for fake wood, though.
Old 08-01-2002, 03:14 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Wink Real WOOD !!!......

Hi Winner...
Hi Guys, NOT quite RV/AS related, but I looked a WOODY, which had bn restored by a mature Gent, in FLA:, at the sat-nite-cruise, he told me HE done most of the work himself, but had a pro: do the WOOD for him, he went on to say, he HATES waste, and still had N O T mastered the art of measuring TWICE & cutting ONCE when using WOOD, his Good Lady added, much to her husbands horror, that it must have been since he FELL out of a TREE back in his CHILDHOOD days...that he RESPECTS wood so much, he leaves it to people who have NO respect for the stuff, but was delighted with the finnish says it won't WELD.
Yep gotta hand it to him, it realy DID look SMART, over here we had the MORRIS TRAVELLER, that was trimmed with wood, U would NOT believe the colours people painted it, to hide it, BLACK was the most used, followed by DARK BLUE...personaly...I LOVE the NATURAL finished look, but there we are...
At the end of the day, if YR happy....Chris.....
Old 08-01-2002, 05:34 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I am with uwe!! I don't remember if I shared this....my first big trip in the Airsrteam last fall. We are having a great time cruising, people looking at us and waving. I pull up to a toll booth at the bridge to Sanibel island, Fla and the two toll takers are laughing. When I ask what was so funny the said "hey - we love your woody" ....., then said "no, really, it's pretty cool."
I guess they liked the fake wood about as much as I do.
While we are on that subject the dash trim is vinyl fake wood also. It will go the way of the stripe when i change it out. In fact, maybe the new stripe and the new dash panel will match. Either that or an aluminum look on the dash would tie it together better.
I don't mind the fake wood design on the cabinets and closets though, they lok pretty darn good.
Old 08-01-2002, 05:45 PM   #25
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Fake wood

I like "fake" wood when it is well done and when it doesn't masquerade as real wood.

For instance, all of the cabinetry in my International AS is wood-grain laminate with absolutely no attept to make it otherwise. That is fine with me. Wood grain is attractive and a lot easier on the eyes than almost any other treatment I can think of.

OTOH: The peeling vinyl fake "wood" on the dash of my old Blazer used to make me sick every time I looked at it.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 05:48 PM   #26
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Hey Alansd,

Let's freak everyone out and do a Carbon Fiber stripe, lower the whole thing 4" and put a 6" Exhaust pipe on it. Yeah, and some of those white faced gauges on the left side a-pillar.
Old 08-01-2002, 05:58 PM   #27
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
No really, as you all know, a 71 TradeWind is very heavy on the fake wood interior. I don't mind it that much, but as soon as I find some other material, then I might slowly start to redo the inside, panel by panel. Maybe even just lighter fake wood would be ok. It's just this 70's dark stuff that makes me cringe.
I once had a Buick Estate Wagon with miles of fake wood, both inside and out. I have not been the same since........
Old 08-01-2002, 05:58 PM   #28
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Don't forget the BIG BASS speaker units and the neon tubes underneath. Does anyone make a ground effect kit for a motorhome?
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 06:01 PM   #29
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Uwe,

Part of the reason we traded up from a 74 TT to a 77 TT was to get one with a blonde interior, the four extra feet were nice too.

I understand the idea behind the dark wood, but is does make some units feel cave like. Also my parents had a buick in the 70's with the fake wood paneling and I too am scarred.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 01:33 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Wink wood b nice !!!......

Hi UWE.......
.........I read NOT long ago abt being NUTS, I said NONE of U r...Mmmmm...may I change my mind....lol.
Ok, UWE....slice 4 feet off the roof, tractor wheels, neon has 2 b PINK...super glue WOOD chippings all over the INSIDE, but leave room 4 the FURRY-DICE, an hang it up at the screen, MUST b a BIG one too, NO scimping here, pop 2 yr local W/World, buy lots of FAKE WOOD paper, an do the outside, an b sure 2 make a GOOD job of it now, as U don't want people LAUGHIN at UR handy work now...do U ???......black all the glass, big stainless stacks at the rear ( pointin skywards ), sit back enjoy, as NO doubt it will sure make folk stare, NOT at UR work, but at U....Oh !!
if people ask....DON'T let on it was a MAD ENGLISH man's idea, thank's 4 that, REMEMBER...a GOOD word, costs the same as a BAD word....Whatever U do decide...I are pretty sure it will LOOK GREAT, Have a good day 2day guys, an " GOD BLESS AMERICA ".
......read U all later....Hee Hee Hee...LMAO...Chris.....
Old 08-02-2002, 10:07 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I agree on all that cabinet fake wood...it looks really good in my motorhome, and is in great shape. The vinyl trim on the dash is ugly and old looking and will go. The outside stripe is no urgent replacement as it is good shape, but will enhance the sharp look when redone. If I could do the Banks power pack with that big chrome exhaust pipe I would. I am envious of those of us that have unlimited budgets to upgrade with.
I already have the chrome wheel liners that look great, and I have redone my black trim to keep it looking good. I wish I could get those blacked out NASA windows they use on their Airstream, but money is not available for that kind of stuff for me at this point. If I keep this rig a few years who knows? A few projects a year to keep it fresh, and a few to keep it fixed and I will be a "happy camper".
I want to have one that looks as good as that shiny classic Motorhome on our photos page. I won't be polishing it to that point though( at least not real soon..... )
Old 08-03-2002, 01:36 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
, Michigan
Stripes and Interiors

My mind set on the motorhome is doing what makes sense for you. A lot of the GMC's around are completely redone, others are kept original. They are also classics.

I’d say, go for your choice of stripes.

The previous owner covered the wood grain strip on our '84 345 with airstream blue. Looks good (but nearing time to be replaced). I'd do that when I polish it (probably in the same time frame as Alan ..

The interior of my MH is all wood with the exception of the end caps and headliner cabinets. It is not too dark, oak or hickory. Looks very nice, I think. The counter tops are Formica.

My 1969 Overlander has an all wood interior as well. It is a light wood (might be elm, according to a discussion thread on one of the lists a while ago) with a nice grain pattern. We absolutely love it and is the reason we decided not to sell it when we picked up the MH. We keep the TT interior original for the most part, because that what attracted us to the coach. We have redone the upholstery with more modern colors, but it is still nicely coordinated to the other interior tones.
JW84345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 07:37 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

ALANSD....I saw your posting of the 79' motorhome you saw over the weekend. How did you like it with the bright stripes? It looks like it may be carrying the Red, White and Blue theme.

kzener40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 09:20 AM   #34
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Alan,

Maybe you should consider doing the Astrovan striping! That would really turn some heads. Put an orange jump suit and helmet and you're an AWOL astronaut! Seriously, red, white, and blue would look cool.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 01:34 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
the red white and blue striping did not "get it" for me, although its wonderful on the NASA unit. Yes- I am patriotic and proud to be an American!! But I don't want to go that route. The striping on the 79 i saw was redone by someone using a thin stripe of each, and was ok, not great.
I still want to update and yet be classy.
I am also a fan of what a lot of the GMC owners are doing with theirs.But our Airstreams are sooooo much better in every way , of course.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:40 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
, Michigan
Of course!
(You get a lot more coach, inch for inch)
JW84345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 05:44 AM   #37
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Alan,

Have you considered multiple stripes of different color? Maybe you could mimick the 1993-1996 MH stripes. They look pretty sharp.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 09:13 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Cool Blondes...

Thenewkid64....U mention 4 feet and BLONDE...would U be talking abt a DOG ???, if so, I have a beautiful labrador, 6 yrs old, who is just what U described...He HATES car trips...but LOVES to crash out in our neighbours caravan...think he is trying to tell me something here...lmao....
What is it abt those STATION WAGONS, with all that false wood grain, I guess U guys bought them just for the practability of the vehicle, being multi usable...so I guess U did'nt let the outside bother U much, as U were NOT alone...lol.
Well have a good 2day Guys...Chris.....
Old 08-06-2002, 11:32 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Chirs, we need to know more about you. Reading your replys is a treat in themselves. Kind of Code type stuff. Always bringing a different perspective on life. Cool......
Old 08-06-2002, 11:36 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Okay......I found the color. BLUE....I know most have you been saying if you're going to change the color Blue is it. I found a great blue that comes to life. It's made by DuPont. It's called Chromalusion kk700 True Blasberry.

Check it out and see for yourself. I don't know the price, only know when I hold it up to my motorhome everyone says that's the one.

Ken