Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2016, 07:37 AM   #1

Tallahassee , Florida
New to forum

I'd classify myself as a "beginner" in my knowledge of air streams. Interested in purchasing a practical airstream - don't need a "yacht" or anything too fancy, just need something that can accommodate me and my wife and our growing family - we have a 16 month old and a dog.

We live in Tallahassee, FL and will primarily stay in the Southeast with the occasional trip out West.

Appreciate any tips for a beginner.

Thanks,
Tallynole
Tallynole84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Hi Tallynole, and welcome! My first suggestion would be to drive down to Sanders RV near Alachua and spend some time in the units they are stocking to start to determine the size and layout that works for you. The Sanders team is nice and pretty laid back (understatement) and will let you wander about their inventory freely. Best, Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:00 AM   #3

Tallahassee , Florida
Thanks, Joe! Absolutely will do.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:18 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I will second the suggestion of visiting a dealer and getting a feel for the different models. The is also another Airstream dealer over this way in Walton County. It is Dixie RV in DeFuniak Springs. We have bought Airstreams from both Sanders in Alachua and Dixie in DeFuniak Springs. Sanders are great folks and is family run, Dixie is part of a chain RV dealer. Both have plenty of Airstreams to look at.

Doing this will give you some insight into what will work for you. It will also give you a basis of prices for both new and used Airstreams.

You might consider attending the Can Opener Airtream Rally. It is one of the larger Airstream gathering. It takes place over in Santa Rosa Beach (about 140 miles west of Tallahassee) right after the new year.

As you begin, please feel free to ask any questions that you may have.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:10 AM   #5

Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I will second the suggestion of visiting a dealer and getting a feel for the different models. The is also another Airstream dealer over this way in Walton County. It is Dixie RV in DeFuniak Springs. We have bought Airstreams from both Sanders in Alachua and Dixie in DeFuniak Springs. Sanders are great folks and is family run, Dixie is part of a chain RV dealer. Both have plenty of Airstreams to look at.

Doing this will give you some insight into what will work for you. It will also give you a basis of prices for both new and used Airstreams.

You might consider attending the Can Opener Airtream Rally. It is one of the larger Airstream gathering. It takes place over in Santa Rosa Beach (about 140 miles west of Tallahassee) right after the new year.

As you begin, please feel free to ask any questions that you may have.

Brian
Thanks, Brian! Appreciate the feedback. We'll be passing through Alachua County later this afternoon on our way back to Tallahassee and will be stopping. We also visit the Santa Rosa Beach area a couple of times a year and will try to make the dates work for the rally - sounds interesting. I'll also be sure to check out the Defuniak Springs dealership as well when over that way.

Just looking on the internet it looks like the 19' Flying Cloud model may work best for us at this stage, but will check all the models out in person.

Thanks again for the feedback.

-Bryan
Old 11-23-2016, 05:30 PM   #6

1974 25' Tradewind
Laurel , Montana
Need advice on pricing a vintage airstream

I have a 24 foot 1974 Airstream Land Yacht that is in good condition for the age. It is probably 95 percent original vintage and most everything works. I need to find a reputable source for appraising the value as my husband wants to sell it. I would love to keep it. A few changes have been made previous to our purchase. The twin gauchos in the mid section were replaced with 2 twin mattresses with space to walk between. The gaucho sofa in the front was replaced with a banquette booth seating with table. The plastic bins are original as are the bathroom components, lighting, stove, heater, tambour, etc. It has not been painted inside, but there I am currently in the process of putting in flooring and original style draperies. It is really difficult to find 1974 style carpet! Any help on finding a good source for appraisal would be appreciated.
Carol E is offline   Reply With Quote