Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 2018 - Current Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2019, 04:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Thoughts anyone?

We're getting a GT 25FB, and it has two ACs. This is the only rig we could get such a deal on, even though initially I was quite against having the dual ACs. The problem is that instead of having two vents, it only has one.

This is an issue because 99.999999998% of the time, we're boondocking using only solar and batteries. And being in the south, we're going to want good ventilation, which I am afraid is simply not going to be possible without an intake (such as an open window) for the air to pull from and pull the hot air out via the running vent.

My solution is to investigate the removal of the second AC unit and replacing with another fantastic fan. Does anyone have any good ideas regarding this? I would prefer not to leave a window open all night, especially in a city. I would imagine that this involves removing the unit itself, then capping the duct work, cutting the interior skin (*shudders*), installing the fan with wiring, and then sealing the roof. How far off am I?

Just trying to make our new home work for us.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Would it be sufficient to just leave the bathroom and shower vents open as your “intakes” so the single larger vent can draw out?

That way, if you’re ever at a 50A site and you need it, you’d have both ACs. I’d hate to lose one...

Hope that helps.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:44 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
If I was in your shoes, I'd call the factory and get the dimensions of the optional AC roof opening and see if the dimensions were close enough that the fantastic fan could just slide in with minor gap adjustments. If it didn't slide in, I'd seek out pricing from a shop that does AS repair work to get a quote.

Ask for drawings showing the AC ducting so you know what the optional 2nd AC changes to the ducting was. A local tin knocking shop should be able to fabricate a short patch section for the rectangular duct work.

I rarely use the AC so I understand your need to get a 2nd fan plus getting rid of the 2nd unit gives you more roof space for solar.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:47 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Would it be sufficient to just leave the bathroom and shower vents open as your “intakes” so the single larger vent can draw out?

That way, if you’re ever at a 50A site and you need it, you’d have both ACs. I’d hate to lose one...

Hope that helps.

That’s a thought! I would like the air to pass above us as it does in our 23D that we’re in currently, however I’m absolutely willing to give it a shot! Thanks for the idea!
Old 06-13-2019, 07:49 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post
If I was in your shoes, I'd call the factory and get the dimensions of the optional AC roof opening and see if the dimensions were close enough that the fantastic fan could just slide in with minor gap adjustments. If it didn't slide in, I'd seek out pricing from a shop that does AS repair work to get a quote.

Ask for drawings showing the AC ducting so you know what the optional 2nd AC changes to the ducting was. A local tin knocking shop should be able to fabricate a short patch section for the rectangular duct work.

I rarely use the AC so I understand your need to get a 2nd fan plus getting rid of the 2nd unit gives you more roof space for solar.

That’s a good idea!! I would call but our maiden voyage with our new tiny shiny home will be driving to the mothership for a tour before heading south. I’m absolutely going to ask while I’m there! Hopefully, if I provide the fan, we can have the work done (given that it otherwise makes sense) under $1k. I wouldn’t have thought to ask for a drawing or diagram, however! Very good points, and thank you.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:46 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
Good luck! I have two ACs on my 25GT. I like the redundancy of having a second and find the one fan sufficient to move air. I’d miss the skylight more than the fan.
PhxTrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:21 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
We have a 2018 27' FBQ with 2 A/C's. If it is cool enough to not be using the A/C, we open the bedroom windows, which provide great ventellation. Otherwise, at least for us, 2 A/C units are definitely better than one :-)
ddrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
We have had no problems with just one vent. at night we close all windows except the 2 in the bedroom and the van will draw enough air for us. In addition, we have 2 small portable fans ( about 6" X 4") that have a rechargeable battery via USB connections. They can sit on our nightstand at night if we need additional air movement at night or anytime.

For us, we would always want a 2nd AC.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:01 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
I appreciate all of this input, and day one went swimmingly! We also found that there was much better airflow with a window open just above our head to pull air from. No longer such a concern. thanks all!