Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2019, 12:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge , Virginia
Skylight insulator Covers - 2018 Classic 30

Camping in direct sun and noticed that there was a tremendous amount of heat coming in through the skylights. I was thinking of putting some reflective insulation up there but was concerned with the plastic skylight material getting damaged. Has anyone tried this, does it work?

I was looking at cutting some of this material to size.

Call me AL

2018 Classic '30
Call me Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:36 PM   #2
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
I've used that in the past. I lay it on top of the skylight shade, not pushing it up into the skylight cover itself. Works fine.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I've been wondering the same.
I've got a big piece of reflectix that I had from a MH windshield.
I could easily cut a piece, but worry the heat reflected will blacken or crack the skylight.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Reflectix vs White 1/4" foamcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I've been wondering the same.
I've got a big piece of reflectix that I had from a MH windshield.
I could easily cut a piece, but worry the heat reflected will blacken or crack the skylight.
While staying at LYH in Melbourne, Fl. last winter I saw what prolonged use of the shiny reflectix type of material can due to a skylight. Major damage over the long haul. Burnt to a crisp in a couple of the AS we looked at for possible purchase. We decided not to buy one of the older ones and instead purchased a new FC 25 RBT.

Better material is a piece of white 1/4" foamcore board cut to fit the opening. Keeps heat down while not acting as a sun magnifier back to the plastic skylight.

A bunch of the AS that are closed up for the summer have the refectix used in the windows. Did not see serious damage from that. Just the direct exposure to the sunlight hitting the roof.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:18 PM   #5
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Contact Maxim Skylights, 888 222 4898. They make direct replacement skylights for Airstreams. They are rated Class I for hurricanes in Date Co. FL. Ask what they use for that purpose. BTW, their three panel units, so they don't let in much heat anyway.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Agree with Maxim!!! The AS stock skylight is junk! Once you see the construction of the Maxim you will wonder why AS goes so cheap. Concur that very little heat passes through the triple pane design. I use reflectix in my windows when on the road or stored, but not needed for the skylight.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:09 PM   #7
On Comet

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Santee , California
When I first got my 2017 Flying Cloud RB, I too was concerned about the amount of heat and UV rays coming in through the large skylight. I went the Reflectix route but like Call Me Al, I wondered if the sunlight coming in and bouncing off the Reflectix might not turn the skylight into some sort of convection oven.

I searched extensively online for an upsized version of the standard 14” insulating pillow that can be found anywhere but no luck. I managed to convince my loving wife to haul out her sewing machine and make us one.

I bought two 24” square, 2-inch thick foam squares at a big box store and glued them together using photo mount spray adhesive. (Wood glue wouldn’t hold.) I then trimmed the foam to be about ½” oversize so it would stay wedged in place.

A quick visit to a fabric store and with just a couple hours of patient labor my wife turned out what you see in the photo.

I may have to reconsider the type of fabric we used, however. After reading this original post I went out to my AS and pulled down the insulator. I was dismayed to find that the side that faced up into the skylight was downright hot, coming in at 126 degrees F using a laser thermometer. The underside of the insulator registered a mere 78 degrees, the same as the air temperature. Perhaps if I can locate some of the fleece material I could persuade my wife to make an updated version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP8744.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	344486  
Silver Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Camco makes the skylight pillows they are on Amazon $8.
Camco RV Vent Insulator And Skylight Cover Without Reflective Surface, Fits Standard 14" RV Vents - 45195
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Before, with the original skylights, and after installing Maxim skylights I used reflective bubble insulation.
It helps with heat or cold.
I had no issues except occasional sweating/dripping.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Putting anything INSIDE on the original skylight is a poor solution. Think about a shower cap, or better yet a really small pup tent... the kind with crossing springy ribs that hold up the roof. A fabric tent that stands off from the skylight would prevent heat and most light from entering.... and of course a shady tree branch will do the same.

Just a day or two ago there was an inquiry about a sunshade/hail shield that had been developed for SOBs. Same idea, only smaller.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:03 PM   #11
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Another vote for Maxim. The single best improvement I’ve made to mine. What AS uses is pretty sad. Just a little plastic dome. Maxim is a whole different world. 3 layers of tempered, tinted glass that defuses light and provides excellent insulation and noise reduction.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
@kendrick.l.j you have two or just one upgrades?

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:04 AM   #13
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Hi Mr. Big. I did both skylights. I’m am telling ya it’s the best upgrade in aesthetic and function that I did. I didn’t install them myself but the guys at JC did it for me and while they were up there they checked all the chalking and discovered my antenna was loose and fixed it as well.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:43 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Skylight insulator Covers - 2018 Classic 30

Good recommendations. I think I need to reseal my roof next year already. I guess that’s a good time to look into this too.

PS for you, it’s Sxy [emoji12]

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:38 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Another vote for Maxim. The single best improvement I’ve made to mine. What AS uses is pretty sad. Just a little plastic dome. Maxim is a whole different world. 3 layers of tempered, tinted glass that defuses light and provides excellent insulation and noise reduction.
Wondering if your Maximum skylight really has tempered glass, or you misspoke.
Mine is all 3 layer polycarbonate.

https://maximskylights.com/airstream-skylights/
Old 07-14-2019, 06:22 PM   #16
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Yes, Alan, thank you for catching that for me. Seriously. I don’t want to mislead anyone.....but I still prefer the Maxim skylight.