Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2018, 07:36 AM   #481
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The Alde pannel has a sub menu under the service section that allows you to enter an offset between the thermometer and "reality". If that calibration number is off, your Alde reading will be off.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:43 AM   #482
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldavids View Post
Alde control is mounted to the dvd player cabinet in the aft overhead above the dinette. There is nothing under kitchen sink.

Assume the black basket/cage above the bedroom tv is the sensor that firefly is getting the "rear" temperature from. There is also one of these by the fridge so that may be feeding firefly the "front" temperature.

Can't use heat pumps as it is sub freezing here in Hilton Head and heat pumps only operate above 45 degrees F.

Current temperatures (celcius) are

Alde 3010 panel - 28.5 (83F)
Front on Firefly panel - 19.8 (68F)
Rear on Firefly panel - 21.7 (71F)
Standalone unit - 22 (72F)
Welcome to the Alde BAT Club. Check out the manual from Alde in post #3.

Read the red warning in the post.

Near the back of the manual, it shows how to setup your Alde panel and other useful info. Of course, the current build version and last published manual may be a bit different. And you have the new fire fly interface.

A few dozen posts back, there was a problem noted with a cable connector that had to be corrected for proper operation for 2018s.

It's all good after proper setup, self training, proper operation, and lowering your expectations. [emoji12]
Old 01-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #483
2 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
West Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The Alde pannel has a sub menu under the service section that allows you to enter an offset between the thermometer and "reality". If that calibration number is off, your Alde reading will be off.

Bob

Found that section. Offset was set to 0. Changed it so that the temperature on the main Alde panel now tracks more closely to the standalone digital thermostat.
ldavids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:08 AM   #484
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
And here I was thinking that AS and Alde and Firefly had gotten all the bugs worked out and were now sending new Classic out properly set up and owners fully schooled, after all they have had a year to get that done.
James, Bud, Mojoe, UB why am I have déją vu. Didn’t we all just go through all this last year?
It really sad because once the system is set up it is a wonderful system and I haven’t had a bit of trouble since. I actually do love my Alde. Getting them set up isn’t THAT hard, why aren’t some of the dealers doing a better job at this?

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:18 AM   #485
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Bob

I think I will have to check this out when our trailer is back in use.
ajwbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:38 PM   #486
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
And here I was thinking that AS and Alde and Firefly had gotten all the bugs worked out and were now sending new Classic out properly set up and owners fully schooled, after all they have had a year to get that done.
James, Bud, Mojoe, UB why am I have déją vu. Didn’t we all just go through all this last year?
It really sad because once the system is set up it is a wonderful system and I haven’t had a bit of trouble since. I actually do love my Alde. Getting them set up isn’t THAT hard, why aren’t some of the dealers doing a better job at this?

Because they don’t care and no one is holding them accountable for lousy customer service. It’s really sad and frustrating.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:53 PM   #487
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
It's January, it's cold, new classics are on the road, we still like warm showers and beds, . . . [emoji12]
Old 01-07-2018, 08:15 PM   #488
Silver is the new black

2018 30' Classic
NAPA , California
I've got a 2018 Claasic 30.
The ALDE panel is different than the 3010.Here is an answer from ALDE's FAQ section:

How much hot water is available?
The Alde Compact 3010 has a water heater with a volume of approx. 2.2 gal (8.5 litres) of hot water at >122°F (50°C). When the hot water is mixed with cold water approx. 50°F (10°C) to normal usage temperature approx. 100 °F (38°C), this gives you around 3.2 gal (12 litres) of hot water every 30 minutes. The colder the water, the longer it takes to heat up. If a 120 V immersion heater is used to heat the heater instead of, this reduces the capacity slightly.

The "extra hot water" functions on the digital control panel for the Compact 3010 increases the water temperature to 122°F (65°C) for 30 minutes. This means ≈ 4 gal (15 litres) of heated water, mixed and ready to use.

So, my question is how in the hell do you Even a Navy shower beats that.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:50 AM   #489
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:

Having been in similar situations in another industry it is my GUESS that much of these issues rests with Alde. Third party suppliers, in my experience, especially those who have made a product for some time with success, simply give advice and demonstrations as to how well the system or product will work in an entirely different end product. When talking with AS last year, I was told by AS that the cooperation from Alde has been less than great, but that it was improving.

Then, one year after introduction AS has two third party vendors tying their products together in a Firefly and Alde "marriage". Another GUESS, but I am figuring Firefly, being used in a number of million dollar coaches told AS sure this can work we do it with the Aqua systems all the time.

End result users do the fixes and learn how to operate the systems. Not right, but that is the way it is.

I turn ours on this morning in preparation for a run south on Wed of this week. Warm up, load up, and leave. Based on last time used I expect everything to work as it should. I did check it out a while back in very cold weather and it did it's job.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:38 AM   #490
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Mad dog, I know the ‘17 are quite a bit different from the ‘18 but this is how mine works. 30 minuets prior to shower time I reduce heating demand for inside of AS to about 60, then I hit the shower boost icon. I wait until the Sanitary water temp hits 144-148. I don’t even try to get into the shower until those temperatures are met. It sometimes takes a full 30 minuets to reach the depending on the outside temp. Just prior to entering the shower I will hit shower boost again just to make sure that the water temps remain at their max for as long a possible.
So, that takes care on one problem but you still may have to address the mixing valve to get enough hot water to the shower. I back my mixing valve out all the way. Well, actually, I broke the first one but AS overnighted me a new one so all is good. I do hope you have read through the Much Ado Alde thread and know how to adjust the mixing valve. On the second one, I think I had to go 4 full stops before I had sufficient hot water.
Again, all this is discussed in aforementioned thread. I know you may think that you will never have a hot shower, but I swear, I have hot, like steamy hot, showers that last a good 14 min. ( ok, so 14 min may not seem like a long time but it is long enough to getter done). I can also tell you that every one of us that participated in last years BAT now have hot water.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:57 AM   #491
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Hi

Well, oddly enough, my 2017 seems about right with an Alde offset of zero. My guess is that there is some variation with the seasons.

Bob
Old 01-08-2018, 09:24 AM   #492
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
I really don't like to "jinx" ourselves, but yesterday we had -10 where our trailer is stored. We are planning a trip south leaving Wednesday of this week, the 10th. I went over to the trailer at about 8:30am to turn on the Alde. The outside temp was 30f, inside the trailer it was 22f.

My wife just took some things over and I had her check the Alde temperature and another thermometer I have in the AS. Using both electrical elements and the propane the temperature in 2 hours and 45 minutes is 61f. Impressed and pleasantly surprised.

I make few recommendations as it usually comes back to haunt me, but this system so far has been great. If I were AS though I'd take it away from the Firefly and let it stand alone like ours, a 2017 30' does. Very easy, and convenient to use this way.

Bud
Old 01-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #493
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
I really don't like to "jinx" ourselves, but yesterday we had -10 where our trailer is stored. We are planning a trip south leaving Wednesday of this week, the 10th. I went over to the trailer at about 8:30am to turn on the Alde. The outside temp was 30f, inside the trailer it was 22f.

My wife just took some things over and I had her check the Alde temperature and another thermometer I have in the AS. Using both electrical elements and the propane the temperature in 2 hours and 45 minutes is 61f. Impressed and pleasantly surprised.

I make few recommendations as it usually comes back to haunt me, but this system so far has been great. If I were AS though I'd take it away from the Firefly and let it stand alone like ours, a 2017 30' does. Very easy, and convenient to use this way.

Bud

Ditto! Since our hot water issue got resolved last summer I wholeheartedly recommend this system. Silent, even, consistent heat. We really love the nighttime timer function as we like to sleep when it’s cool in the trailer and have it warmed up when we get up in the morning...and never hear it come on...awesome.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:59 AM   #494
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As I've said several times, I'm *very* happy with the way the Alde heats the trailer when it's cold out. I have zero complaints about the propane usage or any of the rest of it. We run a small fan in the trailer to help a bit, that is the same thing I do in the house. The only difference is, here at home it's a ceiling fan .... I just like a breeze ...

Bob
Old 01-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #495
Firedog1

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
You guys can't scare me, I just ordered a new 2018 Classic and looking forward to the new Alde system. I have been following this thread for a while and really appreciate the advise. This will be my third Airstream and hoping for the best
Sold but not forgotten: 2005 Classic 25 Limited
2015 Classic 30 RB
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #496
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Hey Dog, congratulations! You gonna love it. Promise. There is a good chance that it will be set up correctly right from the start but just in case it isn’t you’ll know what to do. Are you getting the 30 or the 33?

Old 01-13-2018, 05:24 AM   #497
Firedog1

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
30 Classic, Same as I have now. we are getting the twin this time instead of the queen. Got a new puppy and can use the extra storage on the twin. It's all about the "Dog"
Sold but not forgotten: 2005 Classic 25 Limited
2015 Classic 30 RB
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:05 PM   #498
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Excellent choice, your puppy will be very happy and you will love the Alde system. I really hope the dealer comes through for you setting it all up, it makes it so much nicer. Some dealers have been awesome with regards to this, others, well, not so much but you’ve done your homework and you know about this thread so hopefully delivery will be easy.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #499
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Firedog1, welcome to the Club. I am confident you'll really like the Alde, and as stated propane use is not scary. The even heat and quite operation is a great departure from the typical AS furnace. 16 months of ownership, no real issues, questions on some things, but nothing big. The twins work great for us especially with two Labradors. Enjoy.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:58 PM   #500
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
mcdonough , Georgia
Anyone drain or know how to drain glycol from the Alde system?
ksteve06 is offline   Reply With Quote