Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2016, 09:52 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Lakewood , Colorado
Opinions needed on Classic 2016

Hello, all! This is my first post here after lurking for quite a while.

My husband and I finally decided which Airstream of our dreams we will soon by buying - a 2016 Classic twin. But we are having some disagreements with some of the options, and thought we could use some advice from current owners.

1) one of us wants the gas oven, while the other would rather have the extra storage of the optional drawers. Have any of you wished you had one or the other?

2) we're really having a hard time with the interior colors. We can see the wisdom of the darker upholstery, but like how the lighter ultra leather brightens up the space. How does the light hold up to day-to-day living?

I know these seem like silly issues, but we are planning on full-timing, so this will be our house and our only furniture...

Oh, and by-the-way, how on earth do you clean that fuzzy fabric around the windows?

Thanks for all your wisdom!
Ardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:19 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
I have the light color ultra leather and corion and love it! The light colors brighten the interior. I also have the oven and couldn't be happier. Yes, you can bake biscuits in the convection microwave but it's not the same as oven baked biscuits IMO. You will not miss the loss of storage caused by the oven installation as ample storage exists in other locations. Also, I have the electric awning and it is wonderful and has worked flawlessly thus far.
Sjcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
I just recently went over these decisions when I ordered my new Classic. I like to bake, and really a real oven is important over a convention microwave. The Classic has the most storage of any new Airstream and I figure losing a few drawers was definitely worth having the oven. That is why the oven is the default option. Can you even heat up a pizza in the convection microwave? I don't think so.

As for the interior colors, I went with a custom Night Sky/Chestnut interior. I travel with pets and the light color, while looks good I feel wouldn't hold up as well over time.

I've seen the Night Sky versus Sandalwood in person. While the Sandalwood is fairly nice, I think the Night Sky looks a little bit more modern. So I guess I have "dark" seating and "dark" counter tops. This is all personal preference of course, but I think a modern classic lets in enough light that it shouldn't feel too enclosed.

Here are some pics of the color combos. I like the Chestnut kinda matches the cabinets.

From what I've seen shopping around, Night Sky with Macadamia is the most popular combination.

You really can't go wrong with any choice in the beautiful Classic.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Maybe just us, but we like exposed kitchen drawers for easy access to silverware and utensils. Opening a cabinet door to get to a drawer and have to bend over to do that isn't convenient. The convection/microwave down low is a pain to operate, Airstream should've mounted it above the stove. Everything else about it is beautiful.

Kelvin
Old 03-16-2016, 09:35 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lake Wylie , South Carolina
We took our six-week maiden voyage in our 2016 Classic and are well-pleased with our choices. We have the dark wood cabinets, black countertops and light furniture. We originally were going to pass on the gas oven in favor of drawers but changed our mind when we learned that the drawers would be shallow as opposed to deep. So glad we did, because the oven is nicer than we've seen in RVs before, works well for its size, and as a previous poster stated, you won't miss the storage...the Classic has plenty. The light colored furniture looks great and is super comfortable. I don't anticipate cleaning to be a problem. I will mention that we have ruined several pairs of white socks walking on the vinyl flooring - I have mopped it several times but we still get black on our socks that won't wash out. I'd love to hear from anyone who has had and solved this problem.

We also have the power awning and it has mostly worked well with just a couple of glitches. There are just a few other minor issues that need to be addressed and, as with our previous Tiffin motor homes, we will be making a trip to the factory for warranty repairs. Several of the ceiling vents fell out, one of the USB ports and part of the rope lighting in the same area of the bedroom stopped working, several of the cabinet lights need adjusted to stay off when the door is closed, the black tank flush is not properly connected and we had a leak under the bathroom vanity that just required tightening a connection.

Coming from a 43' motor home, we thought it might be tight, but everything is very well laid out and functional. The only "complaints" are the shower is a bit tight and the lavatory sink could have been smaller to allow more counter space, but we have adjusted to the smaller size very well. Our goal was to simplify and downsize and the Classic was a good choice. We installed a ProPride hitch and have had no problems hooking up and are very pleased with the way our Ram 2500 handles with the trailer in tow. The factory-installed solar panels keep the batteries at full charge, and the rear-view camera is a plus.

Good luck with your new Classic - we think you'll love it.
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab Turbo Diesel 4x4
Vietnam Veteran Army 70 - 71
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

we took out our convection/micro after 2 years and switched to the gas oven. I love the oven! I have a convection oven at home and use it all the time but baking in the convection oven that came with the airstream was not the same. Plus we do boondock and it's nice to have access to baking when we're not hooked up. Not sure what your travel will look like but you may want to consider this.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Opinion?
It is the most beautiful trailer ever!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My preference is the brown leather and lighter wood cabinets.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-16-2016, 10:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
1) No even. Convection microwave only. Extra drawers are nice.
2) Answered in previous post. Brown leather and lighter wood cabinets.
Go get you that shiny new trailer!
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-16-2016, 10:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
even = oven
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-16-2016, 11:00 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Our's is a Flying Cloud but we are grill era so we don't miss the oven. But it is a matter of personal preference. I agree that the location of the microwave/convection is a pain. The Classics are beauties. Oh if only cost were not an issue. Good luck.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
Ardi - We took delivery of our 2016 Classic Jan 4th and wrestled with these issues as well, in addition to whether or not to get the power awning. We went with dark leather and light countertops. We have 12 grandchildren (wth #13 on the way) and wanted to have that many still after some of them were on the AS; felt the dark leather would be less likely to show marks. Hated to lose the drawers, but the oven was a no brainer for us; DW is a GREAT cook and we plan to boondock a good bit. You did not ask about power v. manual awning; there are many opinions, but for us it was an easy choice given we are not physically impaired in any way and did not want to spend an extra $3K on something that adds 3 electric motors. We are former diesel pusher MH owners and recall what a pain it is to have something electric fail when a storm is coming. Hearing of way too many problems with the power awning and decided against. Whatever combination you choose, you will have a beautiful trailer and will just love it. BTW - one of our sons and his family live in Parker, CO; we are planning to take Rose (our AS) up there mid June to take three little granddaughters off their parents hands while grandchild #13 is a newborn. Happy Trails!
2016 F250 KR 6.7 4x4 CC "Tex"
Members, NTAC
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Oh my oh my, I just fell in love with that 4th picture with the sofa recliners. Looks beautiful!

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:12 PM   #14
Firedog1

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
I have the first 2015 production Classic off the line. It's now 1 & 1/2 years old. We have light ultra leather and dark countertops. We absolutely LOVE our trailer. We have had a few minor issues that were resolved by the very competent staff at the Factory. If i had a do over, I probably would not get the dark counters, They do show scratches. I would go with light counters. The solar works good but I am on my second charge controller And I would suggest you change to a 3 stage converter. We love the gas oven and it works great.
Best of Luck with your purchase.
Sold but not forgotten: 2005 Classic 25 Limited
2015 Classic 30 RB
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:54 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
No Wood Choice!

I have seen several people mention wood color choices? To my knowledge there is no choice in the color of the wood in the new Classics. All have the dark cherry wood. When we bought our new 16 Classic last August, we wanted the Chestnut leather and the sandalwood Corian. I believe that this color combination wears better and is easier to maintain. The sandalwood Corian, almost has a granite look, which we liked and still do. The only two extra cost options are power awning and solar, both of which we have and like. As for ovens, we decided we would rather have the two pullout drawers. You know what they say about opinions....everyone has one. Buy what "you" like, after all your the one paying for it!
Old 03-17-2016, 03:35 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedog1 View Post
If i had a do over, I probably would not get the dark counters, They do show scratches. I would go with light counters. The solar works good but I am on my second charge controller And I would suggest you change to a 3 stage converter. We love the gas oven and it works great.
Best of Luck with your purchase.
I wonder if you can polish corian to get rid of scratches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
I have seen several people mention wood color choices?
There is only one wood.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
In the beginning there was talk of a second lighter wood choice.
I guess that idea never made it to production. I guess cherry is the only wood.
So...
Dark leather upholstery and light counters would be my choice-
And twin beds-

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-17-2016, 05:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Oh ya, I went with the twins. You get extra storage with that option. Two side exterior access under bed storage in addition to the rear access (although that is shallower), and four more cabinets above the beds.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:12 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Columbus , Ohio
Get solar charging and power awning. I was told the curtain surrounds are microfiber so I imagine easy to clean.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:48 PM   #20
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
You can do a much better solar solution than the one from JC. I have twins, dark leather, light corian and the power awning. No issues at all with any of the above. Only problem has been a bad sail switch in the furnace. Took time to track that down and was an easy fix.

We put down some runners and rugs on the floors. Similar to what Barry did with his 2015. If you want to see a tricked out 2015 Classic Barry is the man. Ask about his dishwasher...
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote