Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Opinions Needed on Interior Design Issue in 34’ Classic

I want to get others opinions on what I consider a very poor interior design issue. It has to do with the kitchen in the 34' Classic. We are giving serious thought to trading up to the 34' as we may do a year or more of full time travel in the near future. The 34' is the unit chosen by a lot of Airstreamers that fulltime. If you use your range top to actually cook meals ,does it make ANY sense to have it inches from the drapes, the back of a TV on the credenza or in the case of the L lounge, the leather couch? I can not for the life of me understand why it's not at the other end of the counter like in the 30" Classic. Maybe it's just me, but after over 30 years of building furniture and remodeling kitchens I've yet to see one with the range next to upholstered furniture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7983e.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	47938   Click image for larger version

Name:	7813a.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	47939  

Name:	8232h.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	47940  
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:18 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
I wouldn't be so concerned about the drapes but the couch looks like a prime target for a tomato sauce covered spoon to hit.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
My thoughts exactly. I bet it could do wonders down the back of a flat screen TV if it were the model with credenza.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Galley Layout

Hi Craftsman,

I will have to agree. If you take a look at the view from the gaucho in my ’83 34’ Excella, you will see that the stove is at the rear.

http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...0&userid=17830

I was in 2air’s 34’ Classic at Branson while he was making his famous nuclear chili, and I seem to recall that his was at the rear too. His, like mine, has the credenza.

There were 3 34s there and one had the twin gaucho setup, but I don’t remember looking at the cooking setup. I was overwhelmed with the incredible newness of all 3. Hopefully one of them will chime in.

And after years without an oven, I am enjoying having one again. I can cook frozen pizza if nothing else.

Perhaps Janet could adjust the title of your thread to “Opinions Needed on Interior Design Issue in 34’ Classic”.

It would call attention to your specific request rather than “just” design issues in general.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:00 PM   #5
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Kind of looks like A/S got a designer in there that was focused more on packaging than function... I mean, it sure looks purdy in the pikshure!

I agree with Janet, being who I am in the kitchen, I'd be way more concerned with what would end up on the couch than burning the place down... At least have a glass barrier of some sore between the stove top and couch...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Vaughn, good idea for changing the title to the thread. The arrangement and location of the stove in your unit is where the stove should be. Putting the stove next to the drapes and furniture is just another example of designing something that you've never actually used. No matter how careful of a cook you are how are you going to keep...say bacon grease from getting on the curtains, the fuzzy wall fabric the couch or TV . This is the unit that would be the most likely chosen to actually live in. I dare anyone in the design or engineering department of Airstream to go home and back their favorite upholstered chair or position their very expensive flat screen TV next to their stove. They wouldn't even consider it, so why is it a good idea here?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
My 2-cents on the layout - it is a bit awkward. If you put a panel of some sort there at the end to protect the sofa/TV/curtains, I would think you would be knocking your right elbow with every spin of the spoon in the pot. I know I would being right handed...

I can kinda see what they were thinking though....
  • window over the sink - check
  • over-counter microwave towards the back to keep kitchen open - check
  • space under micro for appliance garage, again keeping the front open - check
I guess I would prefer to loose the appliance garage and locate the stove under the microwave at the back, even if it also meant loosing the overhead cabinet over the microwave or using a smaller microwave to make it work.

Shari

P.S. I changed the title for you...
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:19 PM   #8
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
HI I have a 1993 34'ft airstream classic, the stove is to the left when you enter through the door way. I don't know why airstream , put the stove so close to the furniture. Take a look at a 1993 airstream 34 classic, this might give you some ideas!!!The kitchen is different plan. Hope this helps!!!
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:22 PM   #9
_

. , .
hey layers outers and re a rangers...

take a look at the gally plan for the 34 slide. it's somewhat better.

i'll let someone else post the actual floor plan photo.

my range top IS next to the credenza and i wondered about that location too....

no tv for a year so the the credenza top was empty.

now there is a flat panel tv on it (picture in another thread)

i keep it covered with a 'cozy like' folded table cloth.

i'm a pretty wild cook sometimes and food flies when i chopchopchop

but i've had no issues with the curtains or tele or ceiling splatters...

and the tele cover is pretty clean too.

so the location has actually worked well for cooking.

my problem with relocating the range to the back area steetside is 5 fold...

1. the fridge is RIGHT across and really close, the microwave/convection would have to move for a vent/fan/light thing...

AND that space isn't as vented...

2. with the kitchen window open and/or the entry door open cooking ventilation is really good.

so i seldom use the vent/fan IF i can get a little cross ventilation going.

3. the pantry area is really loaded and heavy back there but it is over an axle...

and the trash can slide is there too.

4. the wheel well is back there and ALL of the plumbing. this might be a heat issue...

5. the current range/stove position allows the furnace to be underneath...

again check the 34 slide layout...

cheers
2air'
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
... If you take a look at the view from the gaucho in my ’83 34’ Excella...
now THAT'S a recliner! wow great chair, vaughan.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
My 2-cents on the layout - it is a bit awkward. If you put a panel of some sort there at the end to protect the sofa/TV/curtains, I would think you would be knocking your right elbow with every spin of the spoon in the pot. I know I would being right handed...

I can kinda see what they were thinking though....
  • window over the sink - check
  • over-counter microwave towards the back to keep kitchen open - check
  • space under micro for appliance garage, again keeping the front open - check
I guess I would prefer to loose the appliance garage and locate the stove under the microwave at the back, even if it also meant loosing the overhead cabinet over the microwave or using a smaller microwave to make it work.

Shari

P.S. I changed the title for you...
Hi Shari,

Good comments. Thanks for changing the title of the thread. I know I pay special attention to the triple axle threads.

However, I have window over the sink.

Do give up a little counter space for the counter level microwave.

Even larger storage over the microwave. I’ll take that over the small additional counter space.

All the real wood in the newer units makes me envious, though.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
We had a 34' with a slide-out, and this was not an issue - the layout put the stovetop away from fabrics and coach.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman

no THAT'S a recliner! wow great chair, vaughan.
Thanks Joe,

I’m sitting in the “Captain Kirk” chair in front of the giant view screen right now.

You made me feel a lot better when I saw your rig in Branson. Another single guy in a 34’ trailer with a recliner right where mine is. Your Classic is a beauty!

Where are you headed next?
Old 10-23-2007, 09:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Wife's idea

Hi, I was thinking of an easy way to relocate something to fix this concern; Then my wife came up with a great idea, Make a matching oak [or whatever kind of wood Airstream used] wall divider at the end of the stove connected to the overhead cabinet. Then cover the stove side with sheet aluminum.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
If you put a panel of some sort there at the end to protect the sofa/TV/curtains, I would think you would be knocking your right elbow with every spin of the spoon in the pot. I know I would being right handed...
Bob, did you actually add a panel to yours? Do you knock your elbow?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Bob, did you actually add a panel to yours? Do you knock your elbow?

Shari
Hi, Shari. No, I did not add a panel to my trailer's kitchen area. In my trailer, at the end of the stove top, is my door so it would not be necessary. But in trying to solve the 34'er concern, I think I would add this panel and get used to it rather than catch my drapes or couch on fire. Almost, but not the same, my microwave oven is right next to my sink to the right side and I don't hit it while I'm doing dishes; I know it's there and work around it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:59 PM   #16
_

. , .
a folding metal splash screen that goes over/under the stove cover when not in use could work too.

also a sheet of clear/smoked acrylic...oh wait that stuff melts...

oh, just give the sofa end sitter an umbrella...

hat.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
A solution would be to add a plexiglass splash gaurd to the end of the counter and my 94. 25' Classic actually had one added by the P.O even though the stove was next to the door. The real solution would be for the designers at Airstream to take a look at the existing design, maybe consult a few owners who actually cook and determine if this is truly the best location for a stove. It was at the other end of the counter in earlier floorplans, it would be interesting to know why they changed it.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:26 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Poway , California
Curtains can easily be changed to mini-blinds... I personally love the chrome blinds that are in the Internationals. And in the models I've been looking at, I think the stove is at the back. BUT, what really bugs me, as a great cook, is that there is either wood-work or fabric behind the cooking area in most of the classics and not a stainless backsplash and surround... stainless is so easy to clean, which is why it's used in professional kitchens.
Now that you've brought this to my attention however, I will be paying even closer attention to this stove issue, since I'm sure to be overwhelmed when going to actually make the purchase.
Having a written list of the MUST HAVEs... this will definitely be added to it.
Thank you. I too want to hear more people pipe up.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
stove cover

Just to show that it has been done...at least back in 62'. This stove cover folds over the stove counter when not in use, then opens and locks vertically and opens to become another counter on the right side of the stove. It was formica on the inside and slighty burnt and since has been changed to stainless.
I worry about the reupholstered couch even though it is not right up against the stove. If I am cooking something that splatters,I will fold it up vertical. If really concerned, throw a cover over the couch also.

Being a lefty, (handed) I do not seem to do any elbow knocking.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream Dig 015 [800x600].JPG
Views:	145
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	54059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Dig 016 [800x600].JPG
Views:	136
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	54060  

Name:	Airstream Dig 017 [800x600].JPG
Views:	114
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	54061  
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:40 PM   #20
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceGirl
Curtains can easily be changed to mini-blinds...there is either wood-work or fabric behind the cooking area in most of the classics and not a stainless backsplash and surround...
depends on the year.

all of the classics from the last several years have aluminium (interior skin) behind the range tops...

some have a small piece on the side as well, that really should be a full wall covering.

i've not seen fabric or wood behind any rangetops on classics going back 20 years.

but some do have a wood spice rack behind the range top, which is covered when the range is in use.

the classics have accordion day/nite shades AND curtains...

except in the galley area where there is a metal mini blind.

cheers
2air'