Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2016, 11:27 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Cleaning Panoramic Window Stoneguard and aluminum interior

I searched the Windows section and didn't find an answer and I am afraid these are going to sound like silly questions but what do you use to clean the inside and outside of the Panoramic Window Stoneguard?

When we picked up out 2016 Classic the inside of the windows were smeared with something and I want to clean them. I know how to get inside the windows but what do you use? The dealer told us Walbernizer. It sounds a little abrasive for glass.

Also, the aluminum over the bedroom is full of smudges and I wonder if we should use Walbernizer on that as well?

Thanks for your patience with these newbie questions.
Indianapolis, IN
SusanFleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:57 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
I hope you get good answer and share them all in a condensed manner. Thanks!
ProPride Hitch
Voyager back-up camera
Davidwantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
I wash the outside of my trailer with an auto wash/wax, including the stone guard windows. Then I dry everything with a microfiber cloth. That works and they don't get streaked.

The inside aluminum can probably be cleaned up with a damp microfiber cloth, but you could also try some glass cleaner if needed.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I use pledge spray-on furniture polish on the plastic stone guard.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:37 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Thank you Davidwantz, SeaLevel, and noreen&sal for your responses and tips.

Before receiving your responses I thought to call Airstream and the man I spoke with said you could clean them with any glass cleaner or Walbernizer. I asked what the difference would be and he said the Walberizer would add a very nice shine to the windows. So noreen&sal I would imagine it would be like using the Pledge.

Thanks again everyone!

Susan
Indianapolis, IN
Old 04-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I believe the important thing is not to use anything abrasive, cleaner, cloths, or polish, on the plastic stone guards or the shower interior. Car washes work well, and a synthetic wax on the stone guards can make it easier to remove bugs; on the interior the synthetic wax helps keep the shower walls clean and shines up the interior aluminum. A high quality synthetic wax (polish) on the exterior aluminum exterior completes the shining.

Many of us regularly apply CorrosionX treatment to the exterior panel edges, panel rivets, and exterior fittings such as hinges, taillights, etc. This is especially important if you are near coastal salt or winter road salt. I also apply Boeshield T9 (it leaves a paraffin wax residue) to underbody steel components such as axles (don't get it in the brake drums), steps, spare tire mount, etc.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:03 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
dkottum thanks for the tips. We did not know about CorrosionX or BoeshieldT9. So much to learn! Thank you.

Susan
Indianapolis, IN
Old 04-23-2016, 10:52 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Black Diamond , Washington
Wd40

I use WD40 on the metal stone guards to clean road gunk...after trying everything else with poor results...was happy with the results with WD40.
toothpull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Well... based on my understanding of Airstream construction and the original question (both of which could be errors on my part) I'm stunned that Airstream would recommend window cleaner for the front window rock shields. I believe they are plexiglass (or similar) and by "window cleaner" I assume they mean something like Windex. Those types of window cleaners typically contain ammonia or alcohol or both. Those chemicals can damage plexiglass... even cause visible micro cracks to appear. I'm with some of the other responders who use the same soap and water I use on the exterior aluminum of the trailer. I wouldn't hesitate to wax the Windows, although I have not done that. Ditto the covers for the skylight and e fantastic vents topside.

For the inside I use a damp cloth and if need be a Pledge multi-surface cleaning cloth which I keep in supply in the trailer for general clean ups.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:20 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Stop by your neighborhood Harley-Davidson dealer. They have plastic cleaners that are recommended for use on Lexan motorcycle windshields. I have used it for years with excellent results.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:21 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Wichita Falls , Texas
Dawn dish soap, mild, doesn't scratch, works great on plexiglass, autobody paint shops use it to wash newly painted cars and when I was in the army we used dawn to wash the windshields on the helicopters.
PeterKV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:22 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Black Diamond , Washington
Griots

Griots car wash soap is great..been using it on AS...very mild . I like there microfiber mits. They make a mop device with microfiber head that extends and is great for the roof. I use it for the entire trailer. Also a fan of Corrosion X. Sticky locks no longer sticky!
toothpull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:58 PM   #13
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
I also just wash the Pano windows with car wash, including the inside of them. In fact that goes for all of the windows. While I use windex in my stick house, I don't let Windex even enter the AS for any reason. I am afraid I'll use it somewhere I shouldn't like the interior aluminum walls. For those, pledge as others have said.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote