Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2007, 11:25 PM   #1

1984 29' Sovereign
Dunsmuir , California
Broken Panoramic Window

8 months ago, the roadside panoramic window on my AS 29' trailer shattered. I have been in contact with the factory monthly. I have been told that the window was being made overseas (Turkey!) and that they were close to ready. The story has changed most recently to the window having always been made at the factory and there is a problem with the windows shattering (really?). The factory originally told me that I needed to call my local dealer to have the window installed. They told me last week that the windows are very tricky to put in, and it should be done at the factory. Have any members of this list had a window of this type break, and what did the factory or dealer do? My trailer is sitting in my driveway, unuseable, with a piece of ill-fitting plastic in the broken window frame. I would like to discuss this with someone who has been successful in getting their window replaced in the correct fashion.
TIA,
Chris
dosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Welcome to the forums!

I would suggest contacting Inland Andy. He would probably be able to help you, or at least point you in the right direction.
Look for him in the members section and send him a PM or e-mail.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:49 PM   #3

1984 29' Sovereign
Dunsmuir , California
Inland RV has been contacted since the window was broken. They were unable to help. Thanks for the suggestion.
dosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:10 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
wilson , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosky
8 months ago, the roadside panoramic window on my AS 29' trailer shattered. I have been in contact with the factory monthly. I have been told that the window was being made overseas (Turkey!) and that they were close to ready. The story has changed most recently to the window having always been made at the factory and there is a problem with the windows shattering (really?). The factory originally told me that I needed to call my local dealer to have the window installed. They told me last week that the windows are very tricky to put in, and it should be done at the factory. Have any members of this list had a window of this type break, and what did the factory or dealer do? My trailer is sitting in my driveway, unuseable, with a piece of ill-fitting plastic in the broken window frame. I would like to discuss this with someone who has been successful in getting their window replaced in the correct fashion.
TIA,
Chris
Chris, I had a panoramic window break on my maiden voyage with our '05 Classic. It was replaced by our local dealer under warranty. Initially, the factory did not want to cover the window under warranty , saying that windows are not covered by this, but in the end they provided the window to our dealer without charge. The only problem that I had was initially the dealer said that he couldn't match the orginal rivit type with re-installation as he didn't have the correct tool. In the end he purchased the proper tool and everything worked out well. Total time for repair was about a month. I do think there is a problem with these windows breaking. I am not sure for the reason, but I personally think its a design problem. I am not sure how to access previous threads but this whole thing was discussed in lenth, w/pics. I hope this helps. Tom.

'05 Dodge 2500 SLT 4X4

TAC# NY-5256
Tin Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Chris -- Sorry to hear this. Are your front windows like this? 1979Sovereign3 That's not the full wrap pano that some people may talk about. Search the forums on 'shattered' and you will find a few threads on this. An example:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...dow-19579.html
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ent-24358.html
http://www.airforums.com/forum...oke-19178.html

Best of luck!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:24 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Having been to the factory, I doubt very much that they actually blew and cut the glass there. I would say that the job is a tricky one and that either a very qualified dealer or the factory should attmept the repair. Inland also would be on my short list of repair places for this too.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:53 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
wilson , New York
Chris, after reading what the others were saying about this I have made a mistake. It was not a panoramic window that was replaced on my AS. It was one of the small porthole windows. Sorry for the confusion. Tom.

'05 Dodge 2500 SLT 4X4

TAC# NY-5256
Tin Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Broken Window

Have you spoken with Rod at C & G Trailer Service in Bellflower, CA? pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)