Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2011, 11:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Question Panoramic Windows vs. Single Window

Okay, so I'm trying to narrow down the window layout thing. I've more or less decided to look for a used 19' Bambi for full timing at least about 5-6 months out of the year. It's going to be perfect sizewise for just me, I think, and only just a bit crowded for both of us, as we've just come off about 5 years of living out of a suitcase and carry-on each, and we've learned to live in extremely tight quarters, so I'm thinking it'll be fine in terms of space.

So now I'm trying to figure out, do we need the panoramic windows to make the thing feel bigger, and does that outweigh the insulation loss and possible leakage issues? I worry that the single window might make things dark, claustrophobic and closed-in feeling after a long period. I've now sat in trailers with both, and sort of tend to prefer the panoramic windows, but...

Does anyone have opinions or experience that indicates one over the other? Would you mind sharing?

Zina
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:15 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee
Okay, so I'm trying to narrow down the window layout thing. I've more or less decided to look for a used 19' Bambi for full timing at least about 5-6 months out of the year. It's going to be perfect sizewise for just me, I think, and only just a bit crowded for both of us, as we've just come off about 5 years of living out of a suitcase and carry-on each, and we've learned to live in extremely tight quarters, so I'm thinking it'll be fine in terms of space.

So now I'm trying to figure out, do we need the panoramic windows to make the thing feel bigger, and does that outweigh the insulation loss and possible leakage issues? I worry that the single window might make things dark, claustrophobic and closed-in feeling after a long period. I've now sat in trailers with both, and sort of tend to prefer the panoramic windows, but...

Does anyone have opinions or experience that indicates one over the other? Would you mind sharing?

Zina
I have a 25' FB Int'l, the bedroom is in the front. I ordered it without the panorama window in the front, but I have one in the rear over my dinette. I like the layout because I never read or watch tv in bed. When I get in bed it is dark so the window is useless. My brother, OTOH, hates my layout because he reads and has his tv in the bedroom of his Casita. So it depends on how you use the front space. If my dinette was in the front I would have a panorama window there, although most of the time my view would be the back of the Tundra. I find it easier to back into a view. The panorama window does open up the area and is less claustrophobic. It does make the area less insulated, however, which is another reason I don't like one in the bedroom.

Like so many AS things it really depends on your lifestyle.
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:31 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Olympia , WA
I have a 16 ft Bambi Sport with the panoramic windows and I wouldn't want it any other way!! It is so incredible to see a full view and it brings in a ton of light! As far as any heat loss or too much heat gain, I don't notice anything. If I had only a single window, it would feel alot smaller and darker. I bought my 16' because of the panoramic windows. The 17' didn't have the same layout and the 19' did but it was a bit too expensive for me. Well happy hunting! I wish you success!
Carlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have a pano window in our 19' and we happen to like the interior aluminum skin as well, so we are good with that combo. Curtains for the pano can be lined and blockout added to mitigate heat loss and light invasion, too... I think I would miss the pano a lot...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:57 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
The panos are quintessentially Airstream......worth the compromises. My advice is to find a newer one with welded joints.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I'm afraid that I will have to be the panoramic window naysayer. We have a 2005 25FB, named Lucy, with the standard windows. We labored over the window decision when we bought Lucy new in 2005. We decided against the panoramic windows for the insulation factor. We feel that both the air conditioning and heat are more effective without the extra glass surfaces. We have camped a whole bunch in Lucy (960+ nights/80,000+ miles), and have found that the standard windows better fit our style of camping. We are rarely in Lucy when it is still daylight out.

The is one small additional factor to consider about the panoramic windows on an Airstream. If you follow one down the highway, it is reminiscent of a very large Darth Vader helmet.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
I'm happy with "Tinbad" which is a standard Safari 25' (aft BR). With the single window and side windows for and aft. It provides ample view and additional insulation value.
Another consideration is the structural soundness/stiffness of having less window area (more windows/more possible leakage).
And finally, when I took possession the front window plexiglass protector had been hit by a rock necessitating replacement. It stands to reason that the corner window could be hit by flying objects and I don't recall seeing any information on wrap-around window protectors.
Aesthetics being a high consideration of all AS owners (other-wize one can hit the road on much less expensive trailers).....I like the smooth expanse of un-interupted curved corners and when guests come by they can't help but run they're hands over just that area.....they're eyes are just "drawn" to it!!
"FlashSilver" has an excellent point on "Backing into a View"...with the FB but I bought local to save on the cost of shipping from the far corners of the continent so I got what I ended up with and make do.
TbRich and Carlita are probably the ones to listen to most on this post as they are more in your size range and have more experience with a slightly smaller set up. AND you get by with a more economical tow vehicle.
Cheers (PS/ Picture of Tinbad on the "wrong side of the tracks")
Del
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0564.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	145443  
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Wouldn't be without the pano windows, the sweeping view and sense of spaciousness is a refreshing experience.

On the practical side (whatever that has to do with Airstream) they may leak, so need watching. The rock guard may catch a rock and get a small crack, which may be less disturbing than a small dent in aluminum. Those extra curved side panels may be cooler/warmer than insulated aluminum but I doubt you would feel the overall difference.

On a late used 19' it may amount to more than the pano window. Those have been built in standard and SE models (the SE has the pano window), which includes a long list of upgrades for the SE including different side/back windows, aluminum interior walls, and several system additions/upgrades.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
I have a 2002 ASCL 31' which came with the pano windows in front with the rock shields.
  • Openess - The pano windows definitley "open" up the interior.
  • Insulation - The rock shields as OEM installed are just that, rock shields with large gaps between their seal and the AS curvatures which don't allow for any insulative effect; but they can be "bent" to conform exactly to the curvature of the AS so as to provide that "dead airspace" which IS insulative. I did so; it took me several patient hours; but mine now conform exactly and are insulative like double window panes.
  • Cosmetic - Darth Vader is my hero; I love the rock shields wrap-around "sunglasses" look on the front; wouldn't want it on the rear though; now if I can just get the AS to "breath" like Vader.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
The is one small additional factor to consider about the panoramic windows on an Airstream. If you follow one down the highway, it is reminiscent of a very large Darth Vader helmet.

This is very very helpful - thanks, everyone, and if there are more opinions, I'd really like to continue to hear them. So many pros! So many cons!

-z
Old 11-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #11
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Would not go without Pana windows....You can bemore aware who is areound you...I don't care for blind spots while camping. I have a 25' Fb and PANO's in front and rear..The more light the better and while sleeping or reading a book people cannot see in because of the dark "Sunglasses" on the front. You get the best of both worlds,...Open Views and Privacy. I don't see any reason not to get them.

Take pictures and let us know w aht you get.

Shanw

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
On a late used 19' it may amount to more than the pano window. Those have been built in standard and SE models (the SE has the pano window), which includes a long list of upgrades for the SE including different side/back windows, aluminum interior walls, and several system additions/upgrades.
Doug, that's a REALLY good point. I'm kind of on a tight budget, I'm just worried we'll either go mad or kill one another from claustrophobia without the dang panoramic windows! pros cons pros cons pros cons...
Old 11-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
You can bemore aware who is areound you...I don't care for blind spots while camping.
Ooh. I hadn't thought of that, either...
Old 11-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
The rock shields as OEM installed are just that, rock shields with large gaps between their seal and the AS curvatures which don't allow for any insulative effect; but they can be "bent" to conform exactly to the curvature of the AS so as to provide that "dead airspace" which IS insulative. I did so; it took me several patient hours; but mine now conform exactly and are insulative like double window panes.
Okay, now I have to go sift through your photos to find that. Is that something a non-mechanical but handy person like me can do?
Old 11-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
Okay, now I have to go sift through your photos to find that. Is that something a non-mechanical but handy person like me can do?
Yes you can do it. I didn't post any photos of my process. From the factory the aluminum frames are sized correctly for total seal contact, but little attention is paid to the curvature of the shields because their primary function is to absorbe rock hits (which mine have done saving me many window replacement $$$$).

What I did was to open/close the pano rock shields (leave them on the hindges) observing where there were gaps between the rubber gasket and the AS body. I then would bend the rock shield aluminum frame (while still on the hindges), mostly by hand as aluminum is soft, until the seals were in contact around the entire perimeter. It's a very iterative process as bending to make the seal contact one area will cause another area to cease to make contact; you just have to be patient.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by withidl
Yes you can do it. I didn't post any photos of my process.
You da Man. (Or possibly, ahem, da Woman.)

I've a line on a Bambi on a private sale, good price, but single window. It looks really nice, but I'm really thinking the panoramic windows will let us live in the trailer for longer, especially since we'll be working daily. Pros cons pros cons pros cons...

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
Old 11-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Interesting work you got going...!
Old 11-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #18
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Astern, we like our pano windows in our 25' FB. But pano windows on the front, with the solar rock guards were a pain to keep clear of debris and the sun shade treatment cut down on any available light. We purposely deleted the forward, bedroom, pano windows which would have been stock on our current FB.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
Panoramic windows were really important to us. We were ready to put money down for the 19ft, but in the end decided we'd rather have the smaller 16ft trailer for the light. Maybe it's the fact that we live in Oregon and we need all the light we can get..those gray skies really get to us after awhile!

We've only had our Bambi since July, but we feel we made the right decision for us! Sunshine and warm temps aren't usually a big problem in our neck of the woods...this is a mild rainy climate!

Sure wish they made the 19ft with panoramic windows...bet they'd sell a lot of them!

Good luck!

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
We love the pano windows in our 25' FB. I really enjoy all the visibility it gives us. The dark rock guard windows (couldn't think of the correct name) allow for privicy during the day time. The only draw back is allow more areas for water leaks.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
claustrophobic, layout, panoramic, window