Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2011, 06:33 AM   #1
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
The old Coleman Stove lives again.

I've had a 2 burner Coleman 425E stove for many years, always a suppliment to our family tent camping trips, but lately assigned shelf duty for maybe the last 10 years or so. Idea! dust it off, fire it up and enjoy this old classic. It's not a looker, paint is burned a bit on primary burner, its been used in its life.

It didn't light, bummer.

Much tinkering, check manifold of obstructions, nope. Remove generator and check for anything, nope. Buy new pump, nope, me thinks I wasted $8 on that idea. I could hear it hissing and even see some vapors, but no flame, drat. I even put a bit of fuel on a paper towel, it burns, whats up?

Ah ha, lets look at Google, many writeups and how to's, even learned that mine was made in 1971, old but certainly not the oldest.

OK now what? Hey Google, make that Coleman what is the shelf life of Coleman fuel? answer Shelf life of Coleman® Fuel about 2 years after opening. A trip back to WallyWorld, new fuel and it lit right away, cooked dinner last night and coffee this AM. Lights on one match easily.

So just how old was the old fuel? Unknown, likely well in excess of 10 years maybe 15. The new can is tri-lingual and the entire backside of the can is WARNING DANGER WILL ROBINSION stuff, the old can English only with more pictures of Coleman equipment and only a simple DANGER FLAMABLE warning on the side, looks good enough to keep as a it used to be like this souvenier.

I think there is a strong chance that the 40 year old Coleman will make appearances at future campouts, should look pretty neat next to the classic Airstream. This X-mas the daughter and boyfriend got me a new propane Coleman 2 burner, don't think it will make 40+ years like the old 425E has already.

Also, looks like there are a lot of Coleman collectors out there.

It's all fun.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , North Carolina
Coleman stove

I have had mine since 1962 and use it every year, at least a few times. Have replaced only the fuel cap. I do keep it in cardboard box in the garage, so it's it pretty nice shape. What a great product.

Also, I have my Optimus gas stove from 1952, and on it I have not replaced anything. They are still making these things, same as they were 70 years ago. A truly magical product. Burns like a jet engine. No moving parts. Not even a pump (self primer).
TinCanLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
silverton , Oregon
We love our old stoves and loving use them all the time. In fact I think we have about 4 of them. There are times when I'm at home and it's to hot to cook inside the house and I will use it outside. Love those stoves!
meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
They were built to be simple, reliable and serviceable. Thought I was upgrading when I bought one of those compact stoves with the disposable propane cylinder. The disposable started with the cylinder, it never worked as good as my early 70's Coleman. Wish I still had it.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
West Hollywood , California
We have one too. I can't imagine camping without it! We call it Old Greenie. I don't remember exactly how old Greenie is, maybe 20 or 25 years, but it still works like a champ. My favorite thing is to wake up early and make coffee outside. I just got a cast iron waffle iron, a perfect addition to my morning routine with my old green friend!
R2DTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
R2DTube,

What I found for dating the Coleman came from one of my searches, look under the tabs that secure the tank to the stove. Three numbers? 771 on mine, July '71 was what it meant per the searches.

I just might keep my eyes open as my better half drags me thru thrift shops and the like. But my all time preffered method is still a campfire, but these are neat too.
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 06-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I have several old Coleman lanterns and stoves. Love them and they always get dragged out for use anytime the power is out for more than a few hours. Last go around was after the tornadoes back in April.

I always write the date I bought the fuel on top of the can with a marker, that way I know how old it is. Old fuel I just add to the tank of one of my tractors to burn off.

IIRC our oldest stove is around 1963 with one lantern being about that old. I have one MilSpec Coleman lantern that dates to the Korean war.

Also as a side note: current white gas stoves and lanterns are still made in the USA (or were the last time I checked) but not the LP stuff

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeDoodle View Post
They were built to be simple, reliable and serviceable. Thought I was upgrading when I bought one of those compact stoves with the disposable propane cylinder. The disposable started with the cylinder, it never worked as good as my early 70's Coleman. Wish I still had it.
Hit the garage sales. My coleman stove cost $10.00 and works like a champ.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Aaron,

I think one neat (TBD) thing I would like to see or better yet try out is "old school" Airstreaming and RV'ing. My rig has a lot of modern convienencies, but to see how it was in maybe the 50's good and bad both would be interesting. And I bet a lot of Coleman stuff was the order of the day.

One of my I wish I could have's would have been to be on a campout with my Grandparents and Parents back in the day. Someone had a cabin in the woods believed to be somewhere in Somerset County PA and everyone got together for what I believe was mostly a ladies cooking event. Pic of Grandma and other ladies in their dresses, never in any type of pants.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:15 PM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Aaron,

I think one neat (TBD) thing I would like to see or better yet try out is "old school" Airstreaming and RV'ing. My rig has a lot of modern convienencies, but to see how it was in maybe the 50's good and bad both would be interesting. And I bet a lot of Coleman stuff was the order of the day.

One of my I wish I could have's would have been to be on a campout with my Grandparents and Parents back in the day. Someone had a cabin in the woods believed to be somewhere in Somerset County PA and everyone got together for what I believe was mostly a ladies cooking event. Pic of Grandma and other ladies in their dresses, never in any type of pants.
Considering the condition of my Airstream...if I want to camp it is going to be "old school"

I still have most of my camping equipment from when I first started camping with the BSA 40 years ago. I added to the collection as time went on. I briefly had a pop up around 1982. Then tent camped with my kids on a monthly basis from 1989 up until 2001 when I got yet another pop up. Sold that one last year due to lack of use. Kids are out on their own now, DD is a high adventure leader at River Ranch a GSA camp near Seattle, WA. DS works for Thompson Island Outward Bound in the Boston, MA area. So I guess all the camping paid of after all

I have considered a tear drop with the built in kitchen at the rear and the bed in the front.

Need to get some more work done on the AS but when the heat index is 97* it is hard to get motivated.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 06-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Hey, I've been to Thompson Island!

I bought a white-gas lantern ~12 or 15 years ago, or so. I bought it to take to a rustic cabin in the mountains of Maine that my family used to rent for summer vaca's and occasional weekends. Cabins were equipped w/ the humpreys gas lamps that you see in older airstreams...but they weren't always well placed, and some additional lighting came in handy.
ANYway, I only used it a couple of times when the owners stopped renting out the cabins...that is part of what pushed me toward getting the airstream. ("...can't do this anymore; at least, not "here"; so what else can we do?...hey, how 'bout one of those cool campers?" and then, aluminitus set in. ) I'm pretty sure that was the only can of gas I ever bought for the lantern, and I still have a little bit left. gotta be more than 10 years old.
So the other night, I got home to find the power out. (very rare in my town). so, I pulled the lantern out of the basement, and it lit right up.
Maybe the stoves are more fussy than the lanterns(?).
I usually bring it with me when airstreaming, but rarely use it. I've used it a couple of times when boondocking, but the thing throws SO much heat, I don't like it inside. maybe a single-mantle would be more suitable for inside the airstream. I've only seen those in "propane", though. not that there's anything wrong w/ that.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #12
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Where ever we go the Coleman white gas stove and lantern go with us. Aside from heating water to make coffee in the AM, all cooking is done outside on the Coleman, rain or shine. Except for the occasional frozen pizza or Tater-Tots. Keeps the AS cool and cooking odors outdoors.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #13
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Hey, I've been to Thompson Island!

I bought a white-gas lantern ~12 or 15 years ago, or so. I bought it to take to a rustic cabin in the mountains of Maine that my family used to rent for summer vaca's and occasional weekends. Cabins were equipped w/ the humpreys gas lamps that you see in older airstreams...but they weren't always well placed, and some additional lighting came in handy.
ANYway, I only used it a couple of times when the owners stopped renting out the cabins...that is part of what pushed me toward getting the airstream. ("...can't do this anymore; at least, not "here"; so what else can we do?...hey, how 'bout one of those cool campers?" and then, aluminitus set in. ) I'm pretty sure that was the only can of gas I ever bought for the lantern, and I still have a little bit left. gotta be more than 10 years old.
So the other night, I got home to find the power out. (very rare in my town). so, I pulled the lantern out of the basement, and it lit right up.
Maybe the stoves are more fussy than the lanterns(?).
I usually bring it with me when airstreaming, but rarely use it. I've used it a couple of times when boondocking, but the thing throws SO much heat, I don't like it inside. maybe a single-mantle would be more suitable for inside the airstream. I've only seen those in "propane", though. not that there's anything wrong w/ that.
If you get back to Thompson Island look for a big guy with a bit of a southern drawl. He is late 20's about 6'6"...kind of stands out in a crowd.

The lanterns aren't as fussy as the stoves and I don't know why. They do make white gas single mantle lanterns but they are not as common nor are the kerosene powered ones (I have a couple of those too).

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 06-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
If you ever get by Wichita Kansas, Coleman has a factory store/museum near the downtown area. Pretty neat self guided tour.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Coleman made a couple aluminum stoves back in the 60's. They had a bare alum case and red painted side wings and a red tank. I have always wanted one of those.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Here's a pic of one

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/s...php?tid/17585/
Old 06-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #17
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
This has been fun.

What I tried to post as an overanalytical attempt at repairing and take a shot at myself was my own stubborness trying to fix what wasn't broken. We seem to have a lot of common threads to great memories and looks like this is one of them. I have never seen an aluminum Coleman stove until today, thanks.

What will this weekend hold, 4th of July, alright! Something is going to be cooked in the back yard, menu unplanned.

Now if I could get the same results with my Dometic fridge, wow! Thats another chapter unfolding this week.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:59 AM   #18
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
I recall seeing one of the aluminum stove in use years ago in a campground along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Family from Canada that was tent camping across the USA had it.

Might have to hunt one down and add it to the collection...just because. I seem to recall they had a matching cooler too.

The old Coleman stuff was good equipment and repair parts were quite often as close as you local hardware store. Unfortunately that is a thing of the past...both the repair parts AND the hardware store.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 06-28-2011, 08:05 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I bought mine new in 1957. Still works fine but the newer propane appliances are more packable and lighter. Once in a while I like to go retro and take it along with my 2 vintage lanterns, one pre 1920, 1928 and the one that I bought with the stove in 1957.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #20
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The old lanterns and stoves have that retro coolness but they are also responsible for a substantial number of fires and burns. I still have mine but rarely use it.

When I was in my 20s I used an MSR stove on my backpacking trips. Similar technology but much lighter weight.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote