Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2023, 09:18 AM   #861
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Interesting...I had to watching the sales pitch on this one! $34 for an ice cube maker so I don't have to "touch" the ice? Why, thats part of the fun of making a drink!
FWIW, $35 is for two of them. It's not about touching the ice, it's about being able to put the trays in a freezer in any orientation without any water leaking out.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:39 AM   #862
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
FWIW, $35 is for two of them. It's not about touching the ice, it's about being able to put the trays in a freezer in any orientation without any water leaking out.
OK; I revisited the video, and saw a couple other videos on this product I had not viewed...wife watched with me and said "we should get this"! So, we are going to try it. Hadn't considered the "putting it in the freezer at any angle without spilling", feature. Will let you know how it works out, but after seeing the video's a second time, looks pretty compelling. (Plus wife's approval!)

But...then I read some bad recent reviews and not so sure about this one... how long have you had yours and how often have you used it?

Reviews on Amazon; maybe not so nice/long lasting after all? Recent reviews:

"Excellent idea but my ice maker broke within a month. There is a crack between the plastic “cubes” so water slowly leaks out of it into my freezer."

and...: "Shortly after the return window closed it started leaking, bad. First it just made the surrounding area of the freezer a bit wet but would still work, but a week later it leaks so bad that it doesn't even hold water long enough for it to freeze"

and....: "It was nice while it lasted! The search for the perfect ice tray continues!"
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 11:58 AM   #863
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
But...then I read some bad recent reviews and not so sure about this one... how long have you had yours and how often have you used it?

Reviews on Amazon; maybe not so nice/long lasting after all? Recent reviews:

"Excellent idea but my ice maker broke within a month. There is a crack between the plastic “cubes” so water slowly leaks out of it into my freezer."

and...: "Shortly after the return window closed it started leaking, bad. First it just made the surrounding area of the freezer a bit wet but would still work, but a week later it leaks so bad that it doesn't even hold water long enough for it to freeze"

and....: "It was nice while it lasted! The search for the perfect ice tray continues!"
I have 5 of them. The oldest one is about 6 months old and has had about 10 freeze cycles on it. The other 4 are in my AS freezer and only have been on two trips with a couple of cycles each trip. I read the negative reviews and some seem to be user error. You need to let it sit for 3 to 5 minutes before pulling the handles to expand it. If you try this frozen it can cause the cracking. There is more info on the source site with a lot more reviews (WSJ, ABC, Financial Times, etc.). https://icebreakernordic.com/
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 02:10 PM   #864
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
I'm still waiting for Fianna to field their Big Green Egg rack.
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 02:33 PM   #865
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Central , Ohio
I’m just ordered a Nomad Grill. I’ll report back once we cook with it a few times.
NutmegsCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 10:29 AM   #866
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
I have 5 of them. The oldest one is about 6 months old and has had about 10 freeze cycles on it. The other 4 are in my AS freezer and only have been on two trips with a couple of cycles each trip. I read the negative reviews and some seem to be user error. You need to let it sit for 3 to 5 minutes before pulling the handles to expand it. If you try this frozen it can cause the cracking. There is more info on the source site with a lot more reviews (WSJ, ABC, Financial Times, etc.). https://icebreakernordic.com/
Thanks; I am willing to try, but wife said the one "she" purchased with the round balls, works just fine: "NIUGRECF 2 Pack Round Ice Cube Trays with Removable Lid Silicone Sphere Ice Ball Large Square Ice Cube Molds for Cocktails Tea Coffee Brandy Whiskey Circle Ice Cube Tray for Drinks" work just fine for us... (I may try yours anyhow...just won't tell her about it!)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 12-05-2023, 10:42 AM   #867
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Due to the differences in personal preferences…. I think I’d find the WORST grill experiences helpful.

And the comments about Yeti’s reminds me why I use cheaper coolers… While staying at a rally in a very full, very nice RV Park in Rockport …(Lagoons, where we’ve happily stayed many times without incident)… a neighbor who had two Yeti’s locked to his truck-bed with cables …. awoke next morning to find the cables cut and the Yeti’s gone.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 10:48 AM   #868
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Due to the differences in personal preferences…. I think I’d find the WORST grill experiences helpful.

And the comments about Yeti’s reminds me why I use cheaper coolers… While staying at a rally in a very full, very nice RV Park in Rockport …(Lagoons, where we’ve happily stayed many times without incident)… a neighbor who had two Yeti’s locked to his truck-bed with cables …. awoke next morning to find the cables cut and the Yeti’s gone.
Although we did use to take along our Yeti; now we take the ICECO electric on extended stays; I could see someone perhaps stealing the Yeti's...more common I have seen generators and Ebike theft being a bigger issue in some areas. Never had/heard of an issue in Rockport area, but when we stay there, usually Goose Island...
Old 12-05-2023, 10:55 AM   #869
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Although we did use to take along our Yeti; now we take the ICECO electric on extended stays; I could see someone perhaps stealing the Yeti's...more common I have seen generators and Ebike theft being a bigger issue in some areas. Never had/heard of an issue in Rockport area, but when we stay there, usually Goose Island...
Yep. We discovered Goose Island last year and that’ll be our “go to” place next time we are down that way also. (discovered how easy to filet and tasty flounder is fishing off the breakwater)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 10:29 AM   #870
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Just wondering, this thread is 20 years old! Is that some sort of a record?
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 07:10 AM   #871
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKim View Post
Just wondering, this thread is 20 years old! Is that some sort of a record?
Hi

There are a lot of threads with "amazing" start dates on the forum. Some of them are driven by continuing interest in the topic (same folks keep coming back). Many are driven by new folks doing a search and not realizing they are positing to a thread that's been asleep for some number of years.

How do you judge the length vs gap stuff? Who knows .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 10:05 AM   #872
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

There are a lot of threads with "amazing" start dates on the forum. Some of them are driven by continuing interest in the topic (same folks keep coming back). Many are driven by new folks doing a search and not realizing they are positing to a thread that's been asleep for some number of years.

How do you judge the length vs gap stuff? Who knows .....

Bob
This also has me wondering where are the original posters now? Sometimes researching, I see some people who were once frequent posters but haven't posted in years. Our years owning an Airstream are definitely finite, probably for many different reasons. I digress, back to the grills...
Old 12-07-2023, 02:18 PM   #873
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
RE: Original Posters

Greetings JeffKim!

Quote:
This also has me wondering where are the original posters now? Sometimes researching, I see some people who were once frequent posters but haven't posted in years. Our years owning an Airstream are definitely finite, probably for many different reasons. I digress, back to the grills...
I was an early, not necessarily original poster on this thread (Post #320, Page 16, on April 11, 2012). This post was toward the end of the time when I was very active on the Forums and in the hobby generally. I was battling a number of health issues and was in the process of making decisions to downsize. Shortly thereafter, I had a health crisis, and I was unable to consider traveling for a number of years. My doctors finally cleared my return to traveling and RVing with my Airstream and Argosy this past summer. The benefit that I have now compared to back then is that I am retired so do not have to be concerned with continuing education credits every summer and I can also travel outside of the school year.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 05:40 PM   #874
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings JeffKim!

I was an early, not necessarily original poster on this thread (Post #320, Page 16, on April 11, 2012). This post was toward the end of the time when I was very active on the Forums and in the hobby generally. I was battling a number of health issues and was in the process of making decisions to downsize. Shortly thereafter, I had a health crisis, and I was unable to consider traveling for a number of years. My doctors finally cleared my return to traveling and RVing with my Airstream and Argosy this past summer. The benefit that I have now compared to back then is that I am retired so do not have to be concerned with continuing education credits every summer and I can also travel outside of the school year.

Kevin
Welcome back, Kevin, Best Portable Grill Thread Poster (BPGT) #320! Glad you're in better health. I'd think getting credits is easier now days with internet and online courses much more prevalent. I work remotely, so it was the rationalization for getting our 25' GT. With Starlink I can get internet almost anywhere unless there are trees.

Is the Napoleon still the best grill? Did it last?

-- Jeff (BPGT #870)
Old 12-07-2023, 06:37 PM   #875
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
RE: Napoleon Grill

Greetings Jeff!

Quote:
Welcome back, Kevin, Best Portable Grill Thread Poster (BPGT) #320! Glad you're in better health. I'd think getting credits is easier now days with internet and online courses much more prevalent. I work remotely, so it was the rationalization for getting our 25' GT. With Starlink I can get internet almost anywhere unless there are trees.

Is the Napoleon still the best grill? Did it last?

-- Jeff (BPGT #870)
Still sold on the Napoleon. I don't know whether I would buy one of the current models as they have made considerable changes to the design that have made the new model less compact -- something that is important since my tow vehicle is a 1992 Buick Roadmaster sedan and carrying space is at a premium both in the trunk and in either of my trailers. With its stainless steel construction, I am in hopes that my current Napoleon will last for many more years of travel.

I taught Business Education and Computer Science in grades 6-12 for over 27 years as well as serving as technology coordinator for several years. Toward the end of my career, I was able to obtain some of my continuing education credit via the web or media studies, but I rather enjoyed being on campus and having access to the University library. My homebase is only about 18 miles from the Southern Illinois University Campus in Carbondale, Illinois.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 01:07 PM   #876
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
“Best Portable Grill” A truly great thread!
We have tried several grills and concluded that even a good quality grill like Napoleon, which we use at home, may not have a model that is right for RV travel, or at least our travel. Appears a number of acceptable grill brands promote variations of their originally designed for home use table top grills as designed for tailgating, car camping, and RV. Most are too large, require adapting to AS propane systems, or have other issues inconsistent with our RV needs. Exhausted we quit searching websites like Amazon, and etc. We searched instead for what boaters are buying. After winding through that maze of websites and reviews we ended up with a Magma “Mesquite” 9x12 RV Camper grill to use with our next to none storage available in the AI-19. Here’s my review: This grill works well with the AI onboard regulated propane port. By Magma design the inlet quick changes to a one pound bottle, regulated valve. The grill does not use much fuel, heats up, and cools down quickly. It’s a good quality, non-clunky, travel size grill which is the right height for storage under the back bench seat. Finding the right dimensions for efficient storing was like searching for a needle in a field of haystacks. As a previous post states, “there is no one perfect grill". Agree, good for one situation not another makes finding something perfect for all impossible. None of the small tabletop grills we found met the specifications we were looking for. We wanted the quick change inlet valves, all stainless construction, and compact size that we need. Other qualities we were looking for included: easy clean drip tray design, good wind guard, good lid design, built in thermometer, ignition button, fold down legs, plus ability to use other mounts. For the van with two people this model is nearly perfect. We can store it efficiently, and did not have to compromise on what we wanted from a grill. Being small and light weight cooking temperature can change up and down quickly so it needs watching, but that’s part of the fun
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote