Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Some rules of thumb:

The more people and pets, the larger the trailer needed.

The longer the time spent in it, the larger the trailer.

The larger the trailer, the larger the tow vehicle.

The larger the tow vehicle, the more it costs to travel.

The more it costs to travel, the less likely to do it.

The less travel, the less trailer needed.

Try the 23' or 25' on for size, largest of small, smallest of large.

doug k
Yes, Doug! This is fantastic advice.....that I wish I had!
We jumped in, head first, without looking and bought a 1977 Sovereign 31'. My husband and I have worked in the automotive industry for our entire adult lives so we figured we could figure things out easily. After looking at our 77 the first time, we realized we knew nothing about what we were looking at.
But, we bought it.
We travel with our 3 year old son and Labrador. Prior to our first trip, I thought we might have bit off too much. Maybe we should have bought a smaller TT that we could tow with my 4Runner also (when it's just me and/or John) instead of only with our F-250.
After our first trip, I was certain we had the right trailer. We had enough space and didn't feel like we were on top of each other. Looking back, and knowing that we did ZERO research, I feel like we dodged a bullet and got lucky with the right trailer. Plus, it gave our under-used F-250 a job. I don't recommend choosing your TT this way. This could have gotten ugly fast.
The only drawback for us, if being limited to only the Ford as a TV. But I guess that gives us a reason to get a second TT, right?
Good luck in your search! And thanks again to Doug for some fabulous guidelines!

P.S. Did I mention our AS was the first and only one we looked at? Ok, you can scream now.
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote