Old 03-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
I haven't got the experience yet to know what works and what doesn't, but I'm using that sticky-ish shelving rubber liner, strips of it between each item (I'm full timing, so I wanted actual dishes), and I'm using those refrigerator rods (basically curtain rods) to keep stuff from tipping over in the top parts of the cabinets.

I also, ahem, bought very cheap real dishes (mainly at Ross and TJ Maxx) that I still liked the look of, and figure that when they break, I get to have a new look for the table.

ETA: oh, and I use Duralex glasses, made in France and known for being as unbreakable as any glass can possibly be.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #16
Rivet Puller
2004 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
We use plastic plates under paper plates to cut down on washing; metal utensils with plastic handles; plastic tumblers for most beverages and reserve glass/ceramic for the good stuff like coffee & alcohol. Wal-Mart sells an enormously wide variety of plastic containers for storage which we have in every cabinet or storage area; even under the bed for shoes or wet items. We especially like the larger vertical containers for dry goods (cereal, rice, beans, etc) and they fit perfectly in our overheads. There even sizes that fit into drawers singularly or stacked in layers for silverware, knives, spices, etc. Plastic bins (with cardboard dividers) keep bottles and other breakables safe.

Plastic bins/containers also make the move-in and move-out for longer term storage a quick affair, plus any items left behind are not food sources for insects or other creatures!

Check out post #12 here: for another approach.

SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote