Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #1

1976 31' Sovereign
tallahassee , Florida
our first airstream .. and it needs lots of work help!!!

so i have always wanted an airstream and my mother in law found one fore me that needs a TON of work, so i am looking for any advise to help us start!

the airstream is in Georgia and we live in Florida so from what i know its a 1976 airstream international sovereign, it will need the windows replaced and new tires before that can bring it down to us. How do i go about finding how to replace the windows and collect any information .. it will need a full interior and exterior restoration.

thank you so much for your help!
rebeccamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Tires are a common problem, but also check the bearings, brakes and battery and the running lights. What happened to the windows. Some photos would be helpful.

Welcome to the forums and good luck.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
If it needs all that, I think I would look elsewhere,unless it is awful cheap. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Grteetings from Walton County

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. You've founf the right place for all things Airstream.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1978 23' Safari
eugene , Oregon
don't buy shocks from anyone but A/S. Get rid of the AC. Don't get shocked. Make sure the batteries are secure. Don't get a haughty attitude because these trailers are so cool. Don't worry if the tank gauges don't work.
snkrichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccamwood View Post
so i have always wanted an airstream and my mother in law found one fore me that needs a TON of work, so i am looking for any advise to help us start!

the airstream is in Georgia and we live in Florida so from what i know its a 1976 airstream international sovereign, it will need the windows replaced and new tires before that can bring it down to us. How do i go about finding how to replace the windows and collect any information .. it will need a full interior and exterior restoration.

thank you so much for your help!
Greetings & welcome to the Forums,
Contact Ryan at RV Revive www.rvrevive.com as he parts out old Airstreams & likely has the windows you're looking for. As others have said, you'll likely need new tires for the ride home & likely axles in the near future. Before you get too excited about your interior finishes, polishing etc, make sure you check for structual floor rot next to the exterior walls, all of the way around the perimeter of the trailer. Despite what many would like to think, all of these vintage trailers have some degree of it. Once you've determined your base starting point, develop a plan to correct the structural issues. Then you'll feel confident to sink more time & $ into your project without the worry of issues still lurking below. This project will be a great journey so have fun with it.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkrichards View Post
don't buy shocks from anyone but A/S. Get rid of the AC. Don't get shocked. Make sure the batteries are secure. Don't get a haughty attitude because these trailers are so cool. Don't worry if the tank gauges don't work.
I would trust shocks from Out of Doors Mart and other similar places. Shocks aren't rocket science.

The Axles which have the rubber "springs" in them most likely need replacing.

Posting pics would help, but from the little you mentioned it does sound like it would need to be cheap to make it worth it (IMO). The model you are considering is a lot of trailer, that's why they are not really very sought after (this doesn't mean that they are bad). Read as much as possible and SEE A LOT OF TRAILERS BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR FIRST.
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
I would trust shocks from Out of Doors Mart and other similar places. Shocks aren't rocket science.
~~
Out of Doors Mart is an Airstream dealer, so one would expect them to provide the right parts for Airstreams...

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Out of Doors Mart is an Airstream dealer, so one would expect them to provide the right parts for Airstreams...
Yes, thanks for clarifying. Airstream dealers, not just airstream, and I would say any shock that is rated the same...from anywhere...IMO. Although I would say shocks are not high on the list as a worry.
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1978 23' Safari
eugene , Oregon
I was perhaps too vague. What I meant to say was that shocks from NAPA are not acceptable. They appear to be the same but are not.
snkrichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Valparaiso , Indiana
I have been reading this forum since purchasing an AS last winter. I have started to restore the '75 Sovereign and I have all of the issues that everyone else does. The fans and vents are broken, the floor is rotten, it leaks, it needs a new converter, the windows are a mess, the exterior is goobered up with caulk, and on and on. As a custom home builder, I am not very impressed with the craftsmanship of this unit as I have taken it apart.

It seems that axles are also a big problem. How do determine that the axles are bad? I towed it to Indiana from Arkansas without any difficulty except it drained my truck battery when we stopped for the night.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Boilermaker

If your axles are original, they need replacement, rest assured. You can go to the Inland RV site to learn the procedure for evaluating your axles.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote