Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
"It's" Just too Small

Yesterday I was driving down the freeway (sans Airstream) and a typical white-box travel trailer passed me in the fast lane, bouncing and swaying. "Thank gawd Airstreams don't do that" was the first smug thought.

As to the "It": The second smug thought was the teeney-weeney, itsy-bitsy window in its rear. No bigger than 6" x 6". The window on the side was no bigger than a letter slot. Second smug thought - "Thank gawd Airstreams have nice big windows." I guess I was driving down the freeway with my nose stuck up in the air a tad.

Now, I know Airstreams can present their own challenges, but I'd go stir-crazy in a travel trailer with those small windows. Claustrophobia city.

I suppose those Rvers with the small windows could argue "Well, we spend most of our time outside when we're camping" or "We don't have windows, but we have storage."

As to the time outside, I plan to do a lot of non-summer camping where sitting outside won't always be an option. So, I can still sit inside and watch the wonders of whatever is going on outside pass by. As to storage, how much crap does one need to take anyways? I have been prudently outfitting my AS for the last couple of months and I still haven't filled all the nooks, crannies, cupboards, and big plastic totes under the seats and bed.

I've been driveway camping, those big windows on the starboard and aft side of the boudoir are wide open; the cool cross-ventilation embraces the slumber oh, so nicely. I feel secure, but not trapped. Should catastrophe happen - fire, flood, whatever - I can leap out the panoramic window at the headboard or jump out the emergency exit window.

Anyway, just wanted to reiterate my goin' down the highway yesterday.
I know many future Airstreamers view these threads. It's something they might not have ever thought of, but will be grateful for these glimmerings of what it really is like to own and Airstream.

Signed,
"Lookin' out the window"