Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 12:09 AM   #21
54 Flying Cloud

1967 20' Globetrotter
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
Don't leave home without it! No not your Capitol One Card. I'm a healthy senior citizen living in Florida, I have a CCP & would never go on the road without my self defense tools. I know my limitations & fighting some thug is not on my dance card, my Glocks ( yes I have more than one ) give me & my wife great security when traveling. I use the gun Travelers Guide mentioned earlier to be aware of various state laws because " I dident know " is not a defense when dealing with authorities. I'm to young to die & to old to get the sh.t beat out of me, I would rather be judged by 12 than be carried by 6.
amen to that. If I'm in bed and someone forces entry, they'll meet buck aimed at the knees
Old 11-12-2015, 12:43 AM   #22
Jdh
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Slc , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyboy View Post
This basically cannot be answered (although many have tried) in a forum thread, there are many if, ands or buts involved along with interpretations of state by state laws. There are many articles about this on the "net". I would suggest reading as many of them as you can, weighing out what is said and make your mind up. BTW, have you looked into a multi state carry permit? Such Utah's? That is still not an end all be all. I won't even get into the ramifications of using deadly force. Again, educate yourself. For that I would start with something by someone like Massad Ayoob and perhaps taking a course similar to what he offers. Now I will sit back with some popcorn and watch as this thread starts to head downhill ;-)
I do believe the state of Utah enacted legislation requiring a residence here to obtain a CCW a little while back, but don't quote me on that. I have a Utah one, and me personally, I wouldn't go anywhere in my airstream without one or two. The key here is doing your due diligence and finding out the real facts on what you are carrying, in regards to how your carrying it, and where your headed.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:02 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Don't get stopped in The Peoples Republic of New Jersey. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
Old 11-12-2015, 05:23 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Yes, remember just because you don't get caught, doesn't mean you aren't breaking the law. Carry if you want, it's your right. Be careful, in a few years there are going to be many more people who wished they had.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:55 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Interesting thread. I read a story of a camper, a single mom with two or three kids who went to Alaska and a bear came up on them while stopped. She pulled her gun out when the bear came toward them not to kill but to protect (small gun would not have done that anyway). The shot in the air helped.

As far as thread death goes, yes, there is a natural progression of discussions but it is what is said between points that is beneficial. We may not agree with one another- Chevy vs. Ford, Generator vs. Solar, light vs. dark, but idea exchange is about why and what- support your choice, what lead you to your position, etc. Others can learn or not, from that. Agreement is not guaranteed.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:00 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I certainly hope this thread does not get closed, it is of interest to me.

I do no care much for guns, I would not own one for the pleasure of it. However, because I do long trips with small kids, I would like to carry one.

This year we tripped to Yellowstone from MA, it was just me and my older son on the long drive. I flew the rest of the family most of the way. We stayed in Walmarts and Cracker barrels doing over 1000 mile days. I did not want to expose the little ones to that.

I looked into owning the gun, my head just spun with confusion, how to you actually own and carry a hand gun legally across all of the states? My opinion was they purposely make it so hard so discourage you.

Well here's the deal, I have a family to protect, I am not the crazy one. I am not bringing bear spray to a gun fight. It is my right to carry a gun, next time I will carry one and try and be as leagal as possible.

However, I am sure I will cross State lines illegally, it is impossible not to. I am alone? What can you do? PMs welcome.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:09 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Doug always carried at least one handgun when we traveled, but for into Canada.

Never had to pull it out, nor even came close, but he wouldn't have been without it.

Me....I feel no need.

Maggie
Old 11-12-2015, 06:55 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've taken a long gun thru Canada to Alaska and back. All you have to do is fill out the paperwork (get the form on line), and pay a $25 fee, I believe it was. And the key phrase to use is "transporting" the fire arm. You can also take long guns into Canada for sporting events, and hunting trips. Again, the $25 seems to be the important thing to them.

However, I don't think there is any way to take a hand gun into Canada legally, and it's certainly not worth the penalty if you get caught trying to hide it.

Almost all other states a firearm is legal in your "abode" which is what your RV is when you are traveling. The problems arise when carrying it on your person.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:12 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Every CCW holder should be aware of reciprocity laws.

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 11-12-2015, 08:29 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen&sal View Post
Don't get stopped in The Peoples Republic of New Jersey. Sal
That applies to New York also. We have family in NYS & every time we head up there the same question pops into mind, what do I do with the gun. In NYS it is legal to have a unloaded hand gun in your vehicle only when passing through the state, one cannot stop for a visit or overnight if carrying a gun in there vehicle. Stopping for fuel along your route is allowed but once filled up keep going & get out of Dodge.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Old 11-12-2015, 08:34 AM   #31
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Every CCW holder should be aware of reciprocity laws.

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry
This is why we have FL residency and CCW.

I also recommend opencarry.org as a resource as well. Out west, I open pretty frequently. A lot of states allow it for nonresidents.

In Montana, we had one odd issue arise. We were boondocking, with no one else around when to really creepy guys in a truck showed up, and just started hanging out, within 200ft of our Airstream. Couldn't figure out why they needed to be so close. Alex was and JorDanee was outside, so I put on my belt and holstered my gun, and went outside and pretended to adjust something in the truck. They left within about 10/15 mins of me walking around outside with a gun. I can't pretend to know their intentions. They guys were in their late 30's, pretty scruffy, old Ford truck. But in my gut, something was certainly off about the whole thing. Just my experience.

The people's republic of NJ is the worst. Don't go there. I know a guy personally, was moving and driving through NJ. Had his handgun in his trunk, in a case. Got stopped, cops searched his car because he was honest about weapons. Guess what, charged with a felony for legally owning a gun. Because in NJ even though his gun was unloaded and the magazine wasn't in the gun, there were bullets in the magazine next to the gun. And that in NJ is a loaded gun. And a felony. Talk about having your life turned upside down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 7.29.04 AM.png
Views:	143
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	251962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 7.30.36 AM.png
Views:	147
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	251963  

Old 11-12-2015, 08:36 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We carried Doug's handguns into 47 of the lower 48 states....in their soft case, in a cabinet.

If one were to do something which prompted a police search of your vehicle, there could be a problem....but then, if they are searching your vehicle you are already in trouble.

Being law-abiding and never brandishing his weapon, over 46,000 miles in 6 1/2 years we didn't have a problem.

It's kind of like "what is in your cup" at a public campground that doesn't allow alcohol. Don't give them cause to ask, and you won't have a problem.

Common sense and discretion usually are sufficient.

Maggie
Old 11-12-2015, 08:47 AM   #33
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
We carried Doug's handguns into 47 of the lower 48 states....in their soft case, in a cabinet.

If one were to do something which prompted a police search of your vehicle, there could be a problem....but then, if they are searching your vehicle you are already in trouble.

Being law-abiding and never brandishing his weapon, over 46,000 miles in 6 1/2 years we didn't have a problem.

It's kind of like "what is in your cup" at a public campground that doesn't allow alcohol. Don't give them cause to ask, and you won't have a problem.

Common sense and discretion usually are sufficient.

Maggie
That's all well and good, but some people are victims of misguided police. And some people are not aware of their rights. I was part of the Virginia Civil Defense League when I lived there. And you would not believe how many "law abiding" people would just let police search their vehicles if they asked without knowing their rights our understanding probable cause.

Police have to have probable valid reasons to search you vehicle. If they just walk up to you and say, can I look in your trunk, you have the right to say no. But what if you being "law abiding" in your mind and respectful agree to this request.

And then it's found you carrying that gun in a soft case in a cabinet is illegal?

Now you're in trouble.

Common sense isn't common. It's learned sense. What might be common sense to a nuclear engineer working at a reactor might not even be something you'd ever think of in the same situation.

So this all really boils down to the individual taking responsibility to be aware of each state's rules and taking proper precautions.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:04 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
I had a Steyr GB while active duty. I sold it when I retired because with retirement I no longer felt a need to have a personal weapon.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:18 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
It is nice to never have to be in places where the need for self defense is not statistically warranted, but that is not my reality.

It may be worth noting that neighborhoods where we might buy gas etc, can often look better from the interstate than their crime statistics indicate.

When I am in Las Cruces I never consider the need to be armed when walking around at night at my workplace, when I am in Little Rock I feel quite vulnerable at night without protection.

The thing about driving around in unfamiliar places is that a person never really knows what situation they have driven into.

#JustSayin

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-12-2015, 09:19 AM   #36
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
It's kind of like "what is in your cup" at a public campground that doesn't allow alcohol.
I respectfully disagree. The consequences of having alcohol in your cup might amount to a fine or slap on the wrist. The consequences of having a handgun in a state like NJ means a felony arrest at the minimum. Two totally different things.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:24 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I bet the vast majority of the NJ politicians who support removing gun rights from citizens enjoy the safety of armed security.

#JustSayin....

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-12-2015, 09:29 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Come on people. It's just not true. You (or someone in your family) is much more likely to die from a gunshot wound if you have a gun in your possession than not.

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/...nsive-gun-use/
Quote:
“guns are rarely used to kill criminals or stop crimes.”
Quote:
in 2010 “there were only 230 justifiable homicides involving a private citizen using a firearm” reported to the F.B.I.’s Uniform Crime Reporting Program. Compare that with the number of criminal gun homicides in the same year: 8,275.
Quote:
In addition to the thousands of annual murders, roughly 22,000 people die accidentally from a gun or use one to commit suicide.
Using Guns In Self-Defense Is Rare, Study Finds
Quote:
“Purchasing a gun may help enrich the firearms industry, but the facts show it is unlikely to increase your personal safety,” Sugarmann said. “In fact, in a nation of more than 300 million firearms, it is striking how rarely guns are used in self-defense.”
Old 11-12-2015, 09:34 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
When I sit down and think about it I realize I am more afraid of gun laws on the road than of the bad guys.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:41 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Like Bold Adventure alluded to these incidents are quite rare but when & if they do occur having a plan makes a lot of since. I met an RVer some years back who told me a horror story about being accosted in the middle of the night while boondocking at a Walmart in TN. Two guys were trying to syphon gas out of tow car, he called 911 then cracked open the door of his motor home to try & get a look, the next thing he know he was in a tug of war with one of the thief's, fortunately he prevailed & relocked the door, the bad guys took off before the cops showed up. he did have a gun but not on him & if pulled out of the RV he would have been in a 2 to 1 fight with these guys. He told me he no longer boondocks.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Closed Thread