Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #81
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
"They dont "get" my sit to pee rule and I had to clean that up." Del Gurney 12-6-12

Nail on the head !!! What is it with guys that they don't understand the difference between a toilet and a urinal ??? I don't let any men use my bathrooms period. Just go home. Needless to say I'm not considered a gracious host.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I would like to point out quickly this idea of a person dropping hints, and eventually asking....and if they are told "no, im sorry" and that would be construed as offensive....oh man the nerve! What kind of d-bag has the audacity to ask to borrow a very very expensive luxury item bought/built after significant commitment and investment...then are pissed when their request to borrow said item is refused?!

*shaking my head*
PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:31 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
"Would you loan us your Airstream for our trip?"
'.....No, but can rent an SOB just like we did. Here is their contact info....'
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
nope
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:59 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I would like to point out quickly this idea of a person dropping hints, and eventually asking....and if they are told "no, im sorry" and that would be construed as offensive....oh man the nerve! What kind of d-bag has the audacity to ask to borrow a very very expensive luxury item bought/built after significant commitment and investment...then are pissed when their request to borrow said item is refused?!

*shaking my head*
Not really a true friend. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
We'll call you back on that one......right.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
How about when they request to borrow your rig you say...

"Gee, I'm glad you asked - how about we use your house for a big party because we don't want to clean our's afterwards?"
MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #88
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Do you loan your Airstream?

Well - no. Not ever. In the spirit of hospitality I will help you set up your camp - or tent - and bring over a beverage and snacks.
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
NO!! As a matter of fact overflow guests stay in the house...... I stay in the trailer. With the dog.
Bob
Exactly what we learned to do Bob. Friends & family actually begged to stay in the trailer, and we gave in. Four times.

1 - They shattered the window next to the entry door - Wanting fresh air, not just the AC ,
2 - Bent the little aluminum dealie that holds the bathroom medicine cabinet door up/open (why the hell were they peaking in there?),
3 - Somehow discombobulated the toilet flush mechanism. My AS tech "It's cheaper to replace the toilet", so I did , and
4 - Somehow bent the shower door hinges & broke the little knob thing'ie that locks the shower door closed. .

All offerred to pay. None could afford it.
Solution - Family "overflow" gets the house (by design only 2 bedrooms & 2 full bathrooms) and I take the Airstream - NO EXCEPTIONS! More than that? There are some nice B&B's nearby, and I'll pay if I have to.

Would I loan my now fully restored '54 Cruiser to anyone?
Ummmm - Not a chance. No! SO not gonna happen. Sorry, but NO. And the nice thing is that at my age I've learned not to care if my attitude hurts feelings. Lots of misplaced gumption to even ask!!
Old 12-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #90
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedwid View Post
"They dont "get" my sit to pee rule and I had to clean that up." Del Gurney 12-6-12

Nail on the head !!! What is it with guys that they don't understand the difference between a toilet and a urinal ??? I don't let any men use my bathrooms period. Just go home. Needless to say I'm not considered a gracious host.
OK, what, pray tell, is the difference between a toilet and a urinal? You can't defecate in a urinal, but other than that...?
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I cannot think of ANY circumstance in which we would loan our trailer to ANYONE. Well, maybe the eldest son as he has an SOB and knows how to tow and knows how much we value our trailer. But he would never ask. Anyone else is NO NO NO NO NO. And ours isn't even finished yet.

Gotta love a thread where we ALL agree!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #92
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I would simply say No, I don't lend out the Airstream. It would be costly for you(meaning the person wanting to borrow it) to get an insurance policy covering any damage that may occur to the contents and particularly the exterior panels. You would be better off renting a trailer from an RV place than trying to get a policy that would cover loss/damage to an Airstream.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I must say, while new to the forum, this seems to be the first thread of near universal agreement (except the one where pets are adorable - Witness Daisy on a ride in "The Freedom Machine" :-)

I'm tempted to ask whether anyone would allow someone to borrow your hitch and whether that answer changes by brand (brat!).

We finally purchased ours though we won't get it on a trip for a few months now. I'm pretty sure our friends and family know not to ask, but if they do, I'm going to point them to this discussion :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3672110824.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	507.5 KB
ID:	174896  
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #94
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
None , Happy
I think you will be required to share your Airstream in the near future by our government. It is so evil not to want to give to others!
thomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:55 AM   #95
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomp View Post
I think you will be required to share your Airstream in the near future by our government. It is so evil not to want to give to others!
Quick, turn off Fox News before its too late. Your sanity depends on it!
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:53 AM   #96
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashSilver View Post
Quick, turn off Fox News before its too late. Your sanity depends on it!
OMG...back to the topic at hand!!!

Smily pet pics...

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #97
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
I received an ad in my local bulk mailing yesterday from a local business that will rent your RV or trailer from you when you are not using it. They state the Average rental rate for a travel trailer or toy hauler is $500/day for 3 days, up to $700/day for 7 days. This is all to "put cash in your pocket". They estimate that owners average 2.5 rental weeks per month. Hey, 17 days, that's $1,900 a month

Any takers?

NOT I.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #98
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
That poor cat!
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #99
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
You want to borrow my AS? I'd lend out my guitars before I'd lend out my AS and that isn't going to happen. Sorry, I guess I'm stingy...

A close friend's wife asked to use my AS at a music festival a couple of years ago for naps in the afternoon everyday from 2-4. She was very specific about the time frame. I just wasn't comfortable with that on so many different levels... If she had been sick I would have had no problem with it, but she was being very high maintenance.

Some folks seem to think they are entitled to everyone else's stuff and it should be available for them to use anytime they want. Very few people take care of other people's stuff... Lack of respect.

My rule on lending things - never lend things you don't want broken. If a friends asks me to borrow money, I give it to them. It will save the friendship.

If I have to borrow something from someone it is returned in better shape than I purchased it. I hate using other folks stuff.

Stingy? I guess I am. I've worked hard for the things I own and I want to keep them in good shape.

We have a saying in the vintage musical instrument world - "we're caretakers of our musical instruments". It seems to me it should be the same with our Airstreams. I dunno, maybe I'm old fashioned about this.
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #100
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Cave Creek , Arizona
I think the cat's OK...he's put it all behind him!