Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2016, 11:53 AM   #561
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Could you possibly post a picture of the two bags next to each other? I like things that last a long time.
I will do that when I get home tonight.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:54 AM   #562
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Per the manufacturer's websites:

Kermit packs to 4x6x22 and is 5.3 lbs

Helinox Sunset is 47 cm long x 11 cm wide x 13 cm high and 1415 grams. Doing the conversions that's 18.5x4.3x5.11 and 3.1 lbs.

I'd say the packed sizes are pretty similar with a slight advantage to the Helinox, and the Helinox also weighs 2 lbs less.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:23 AM   #563
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Could you possibly post a picture of the two bags next to each other? I like things that last a long time.
Helinox Sunset at top and Kermit on bottom.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:43 AM   #564
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I still use the Travel Chair. They slip into a bag, everyone has seen them. I did a lot of research, brought a few others then settled on these. They cost me $17 each and I can throw 6 in the front of the trailer in less then a minute, no set up, don't worry about theft if I leave them out.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:25 AM   #565
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtech View Post
helinox sunset at top and kermit on bottom.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camp Chairs.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	257223
Old 02-13-2016, 08:54 AM   #566
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
oh wow, that is small. It doesn't look like it on the website. I will have to try one.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:04 AM   #567
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
That doesn't include the leg extensions, but the Kermit is still pretty small when packed. We love our kermits, but we'd be pleased to have a pair of helinox chairs too!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #568
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
That doesn't include the leg extensions, but the Kermit is still pretty small when packed. We love our kermits, but we'd be pleased to have a pair of helinox chairs too!
Kermit now has a slightly bigger bag that holds a chair and the leg extensions in the one bag. It is on their website from a 3rd party source. I will stick with the separate bag because I don't always use the extensions and I can stash them somewhere separately.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:09 PM   #569
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post

I took the wrong way!! I went up this back road - it was tight but doable - missed apparently a sign not to go that way with a trailer - got to a small bridge near elkmont and it was clearly marked not for trailers etc max 10 tons

Tried to send you a PM, but you've reached your Quota...no more messages can be accepted. Don't want to hijack this thread, but sure could use some info.

Hello....saw your post re the roads in Tenn especially getting to Elkmont where I'm headed the first of April. But will be coming from Alumalina held near Cleveland SC. Any suggestions on how to get around the Smokies and end up in Townsend? Help would be appreciated.
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Pal...4418d1910d2489
Old 02-14-2016, 09:38 AM   #570
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I am not the best person to ask - all I know is to avoid that bridge - see hay thread for details! It was a mess

Regarding shock cord - easy to replace and 1 year in and mine is fine - eventually it is an issue

My Helinox chair one is in size and weight a different class than Kermit - it is by far much smaller and only 2 lbs - the "ground chair" version is even more compact and is 1.2 lbs

To some degree apples and oranges - the sunset chair looks more like apples to apples although I think? The Kermit without leg extensions sets much lower to ground than sunset chair?

All of these are fantastic chairs clearly

As far as durability - time will tell - but my Helinox for me I think will last a long long while - that fabric is very tough I think

I really think the only meaningful way to choose with these is to try them yourself

I think for portability and weight - the Helinox offering have some benefits - I want the "ground chair" version for my backpacking - 1.2 lbs - it's unreal - and I was able to try a buddy's ground chair and it was as comfy as my Helinox

If you compare the "one" or "ground chair" to Kermit - they are quite a bit cheaper - but again maybe apples and oranges there - those two Helinox chairs are like 90 bucks

Personally I want them all - one things for sure customers of both companies sure are happy

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #571
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Also - went canoe camping a few weeks ago - someone had the Helinox table - it was really awesome to have for that use - I don't think it is as good for rv'ing for that cost - but using his made me want one lol

Old 02-15-2016, 12:13 PM   #572
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Also - went canoe camping a few weeks ago - someone had the Helinox table - it was really awesome to have for that use - I don't think it is as good for rv'ing for that cost - but using his made me want one lol
I worry about an ember from the campfire burning a hole through the fabric. We use the Kermit table because it is wood:http://www.kermitchair.com/store/the...t-table.531586
Old 02-15-2016, 01:39 PM   #573
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Omg - that table is awesome - must have lol

Old 02-25-2016, 10:06 AM   #574
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
While at Kartchner Caverns met a nice couple (they own Ana Reservoir Campground in OR) as they were headed out for the day. I saw they had a set of Kermit chairs in the bed of the truck. I pointed out the Kermit Chairs and they promptly let us sit in them. They were without leg extensions at the moment but quite comfortable. They were also very attractive.

We currently travel with two zero gravity recliners from Costco. (Possibly Timber Ridge)
They are so comfortable and one can nap very well when reclined. These usually stay at our campsite.

The zero gravity chairs do not work as well around a group campfire. They are not as easy to move in a tight circle of chairs and the footrest bar gets in the way.

The Kermit's would sit well at the fire but we don't want to scorch the fabric with hot embers.

Have to see where we stand (sit) on this when our cheap around the fire chairs wear out.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:22 AM   #575
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
Kermit Chair

FYI: Kermit Chair Co. just recently raised the chair prices $20. They now are $159 plus shipping

Ordered one recently, should be here any day now. Will post a review shortly.
malinois38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:59 PM   #576
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Has everyone bought their chairs. Just wondering as I have enjoyed reading this thread however have not seen a new post in a long time
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:18 PM   #577
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Louisville , Kentucky
ALPS Mountaineering chair is absolutely the most comfortable. Good support and the upper back will come off for compactness.
Candominium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:35 PM   #578
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Costco is selling Timber Ridge zero-g chairs for $59 in our area. They're comfortable enough, but are large and heavy. We took a pass on them, but we have a friend who swears they are awesome and can't understand why we didn't buy two or 4.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:55 AM   #579

2016 28' International
Birmingham , Alabama
I received 2 LL Bean folding rockers for Father's Day. They are durable and very comfortable.
A little heavy but I same sure they will be around long after I am in the great campground in the sky!
egraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:07 AM   #580
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
GCI Outdoor Outdoor Reclining Chair. My wife and I picked up two of these for our move to Alaska using our dividend from REI. We ended up paying about $20 for the pair with the 20% coupon...

Chairs are sturdy but the yellow locking mechanism that keeps the legs locked in the "out" position can require a bit of force. I typically use my foot... Also the seat retains a bit of water so fold them up when inclement weather is expected.

Comfort is good and there aren't any bars that hit in an unnatural angle or place (I'm 5'11", 175 lbs). My wife (5'5") says the same. The most reclined position is great for looking up at the stars but begs for somewhere to put your feet up.

Overall we would purchase again.
waldosgone is offline   Reply With Quote