Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2016, 05:16 AM   #41
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
I may need a shorter AS!...hmmmm
Why? We have taken our 31' Airstream all over the country. It's been towed through the trackless desert in the Southwest, we've boondocked in it in California, up route 1 in California, down cow paths in Pennsylvania (yes, I had to check to make sure the bridge was tall enough for the trailer), through the Tail of the Dragon in North Carolina, camped in National Forests, in BLM areas, in RV resorts, in COA parks, people's backyards, truckstops, and an open field in Jackson Center.
You don't need a shorter trailer, just be careful in tight situations.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:44 AM   #42
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Why? We have taken our 31' Airstream all over the country. It's been towed through the trackless desert in the Southwest, we've boondocked in it in California, up route 1 in California, down cow paths in Pennsylvania (yes, I had to check to make sure the bridge was tall enough for the trailer), through the Tail of the Dragon in North Carolina, camped in National Forests, in BLM areas, in RV resorts, in COA parks, people's backyards, truckstops, and an open field in Jackson Center.
Great advice!!! Thanks!!

No intention to derail this thread...but, do you think Dragons would prefer Tabasco or Picante' with cilantro?... 😬😗😏
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:44 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Nauvoo , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Irony and sarcasm are sometimes difficult to identify on a forum. Many of my posts are misinterpreted also.
I have been camping and riding the roads with my wife for at least 20 years. We have the big 5th wheel rig for the "RV camp grounds where I fill more closed in than in an Army bunk in an old wood building." A small 20' R-Pod for long distant camping or that why we bought it. So why do I spend up to 8 hours a day refurbishing an old 1967 AS Sovereign?

It is 30 feet in length, set inches not feet of the ground. In winter and no son shine it stays the same temp as the outside temp. If the son is shinning and it is at 32 outside it gets in to the 60's inside with no heat source. I would hate to see what happens in the Summer!

It is out of love for what America produced that if taking care of seems to last forever. It is rolling modern art. It tows better than my 5th wheel and that says a lot. The 67 AS at 30' and loaded gets up 4mpg than the tiny R-Pod made to look like it's retro. I would never strip it out for even though it set empty and in an old car/tractor/farm equipment area for well over 10 years according to the PO it was in great shape except where leaks over the years got the floor in several places but not bad enough to replace the solid light weight flooring.

I am not replacing curved section going down to the belly pan with all its dings and some not so good repairs. Oh, I will shine it up like a mirror at least once out of respect for AS and all my work. It might not go boon docking but it will see places we have never seen before. It gets a few more dings, so what I was in high school when it was manufactured. I built mobile homes in the summer and I can assure you not one of those is still being lived in or used.

In the boonies or stuck in a crowed AV park, the AS always draws looks and admiration. When we travel north form our home RV Park just South of Helen GA we see a park full of only AS's and the traffic always slows down at this point. It's not the mountain or the curve that slows it down, all most everyone slows to look over to the left at all those pretty Air Streams!

You own part of American history - so go enjoy having people stare at you as I do when I see one. Go and camp where you want to and are comfortable with. Most of all take care of your piece of modern art and try to insure you can pass it on.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #44
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
So Ray, you're saying you're not upset by me doing this to my trailer ;-) 50 odd km of logging roads, No Rock guard, in January in Canada. Camped at the head of stunning Cowichan lake. No competition for spaces at the site though :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1455382284296.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	257233  
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:03 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Sign Lady... the first one inch, 2.54cm of MUD, protects your aluminum skin from any dings. You have brought up the Canadian alternative. Ice is another alternative, not available here in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Love it.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post

There you have it. 2016 Wyoming Adventure seekers with a 27 to 30 foot Airstream. The last sentence I am in total agreement.

No mention of gas stations... the most unpredictable of all of your travels.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #47
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Airstreams: Regaining a Reputation Long Lost

Our worst gas station threat is from the ones designed so that we have to pull in facing the convenience store. Always an adventure to try and plan a course of attack that allows for turning around and leaving without too much drama. We have yet to scrape the rear bumper leaving or entering a station, but that's probably just a matter of luck and time.

We don't really off-road today, but we do enjoy dry camping in primitive County, State & National parks and in various National Forest campgrounds. So, we're not there yet, but we love to read about true boondocking adventures and aspire to some of our own one day.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I have had fellow Airstreamers stop at our home in Castle Rock, CO. We live on a cul-de-sac in the county and houses have 5 to 15 to 30 acre lots staring at the Front Range to our west.

Visitors find camped on our street a Boondocking Adventure. It may not have the luxury of a Walmart camp site and its frills, but we do offer fresh well water, peace and quiet and room for dog(s) to run at will. Our home is just an obstacle blocking part of their view, several city blocks away.

I did mention to one member of the 2016 Wyoming Adventure with a 30 foot trailer to reconsider if they may be uncomfortable, traveling into the unknown for longer Airstreams. We have now several who offer encouragement on this thread.

Maybe after this August group effort... those with the larger Airstreams will start a Thread and pass on some good advice.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:31 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
I look at scratches and small dings as 'beauty marks' and remembrances. They also serve as reminders of what could have been. But in the end they are all great memories. Trixie

I would love to go long term boondocking, but for now work is kind of in the way of such travels.

Ray, Lee's Summit isn't too far away
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:54 PM   #50
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

Death Valley rumors running rampant in southern Nevada is that this years "Spring Bloom" will be one to see. Maybe a bit too rampant for me. A mini bloom in Castle Rock, Colorado will do me just fine.

We're on our way now. Staying at the little RV Park in Shoshone, CA for a while, then Mojave Preserve, then more remote boondocking in southern Utah prior to Zion NP. Shoshone is an interesting place: pop. 30 in the middle of the desert, and it's a small RV park across the road from a nature preserve in the Amargosa valley, and with its own warm springs pool. Nuthin' fancy, but then we really don't like to camp where the view is your neighbour's sidewall and the RVs are sandwiched in so tightly that whatever reason we had for heading out is obliterated by the congestion of so many monster RVs. Our feeling is that if we can't get to an area more wild and beautiful than where we live, we might as well stay home.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:41 PM   #51
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
As far as Im concerned, all the accumulated dirt, brake dustr, and the many little oops are road trophies, a patina from our adventures!
I dont have time to wax and buff, Im entirely too busy going, seeing, and doing. Our Airstream is a mere tool to get us from awesome to unbelievable!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
AtomicNo13... if someone is looking at all the dings, dents and brush markings on the side of your trailer... show them your new tires. That always impresses them.

And living in Telluride.... Having that Colorado plate is all you need to consider as a restoration. Those Colorado plates can take all of the abuse a trailer can give! My plate is 10 years old and looks better than my Airstream!
Old 02-15-2016, 07:51 AM   #53
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Would it sound like bragging if I told you my plate has a corner ripped off?
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:46 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
undisclosed , Idaho
Ray, when does spring bloom typically occur in Death Valley? We are heading there today. Thanks
jeffryorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:46 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I just want to make a note of a wonderful family and their 34 foot Airstream.

AtomicNo13 and we crossed paths at the Lake Meade Recreation Area less than three miles from Hoover Dam, Nevada last year. We were both camped as Snow Birds.

Their son, the youngest was able to disassemble the nozzle of an irrigation hose next the the trailer. Water shooting up fifteen feet and gathered a crowd of on lookers. Myself included. This toddler will be taking that 34 footer apart if one is not careful.

The daughters... the sharpest, most intelligent youngsters we had the pleasure to meet at the same time. A wonderful family. I immediately recognized the Colorado plates and Telluride, CO on the post... on the tow vehicle AND trailer, as well.

... and for all of you wondering. Atomic Number 13... Aluminum.

Now you know the rest of the story.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:49 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffryorange View Post
Ray, when does spring bloom typically occur in Death Valley? We are heading there today. Thanks
RIGHT NOW this bloom has begun.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:03 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I am often reminded that the Airstream is for those wanting a Quality Hotel Room experience on wheels.

Myself... my Airstream is intended and expected to get a Motel 6 wear and tear. If an Airstream cannot avoid popping rivets... then the Airstream is not capable of even being considered as a Travel Trailer for any road. An overpriced Hotel room on wheels.

The print advertising and an Airstream being towed by a new SUV on a television commercial does disservice to the actual capacity of the Airstream reputation.

If my Airstream is what many are telling me... a fragile, delicate flower in a garden... not intended to be mixed with the "ruffians of trailers" and their kin folk... Off the Grid campers. We will prove them all wrong, or repair what needs to be done to improve our trailers.

Fear of the unknown is the lack of experience of the known.

Some of us understand that experience and respect of the skill involved in Off the Grid travel deserves, is not for everyone to attempt. I want it no other way. If I can not depend on my Airstream to get me to where my mother could drive... then I will sit down and be sick to my stomach that my trailer is incapable to serve my needs.

Each trip... push a little more out of your Airstream. Then a little more. Join a group of mentor's to make your Airstream work for every dollar spent in its purchase. If you cannot learn from your mistakes, then maybe watering those delicates flowers in your garden is a wise choice.

I call them dandelions and are pulled out at first sight. Do not let the weeds discourage you. Any travel with an Airstream has its risks. Stop just short of your ability... and be content that you did what only a few dared to do.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #58
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
well said
Old 02-27-2016, 09:41 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
Smile Just my thoughts

Ray,
Extremist exist in almost every hobby/lifestyle and its not a bad thing, however, it seems like you are putting down those folks who don't use their AS to the "extreme". Many people cherish their AS or RV as they paid good money for them. What is wrong with wanting to take care of a purchase to get a long trouble-free, enjoyable life out of it? If money is no object, go ahead, have a great time!!! However, please don't tell me to "push" myself or go beyond the RV Park. You are correct that "back in the day" there were limited roads and that you "camped" where you stopped. I'm sure many of those early RVers surely would've enjoyed full hook-ups and clean restrooms. People enjoy the RV lifestyle as it suits them, whether that be full-timing, snow-birding, week-ending or vacations only. There can be a question as to your definition of "camping" vs. RVing off-road. Camping is what we each define it as, some could say that camping only involves what you carry in on your back and sleeping on the ground, others feel that it is a fully decked-out RV in a park. Is one really any "better" than the other? I made some recommendations to better prepare your "students" for the "boondocking" lifestyle class, you told me that you were an "Army Brat" and in your experience a confident leader would carry the day (Col. Custer thought that as well). It might be better to instruct folks to take care of themselves, especially when the "leader" isn't there to guide them. Finally, if you can believe it or not, there are also those who made a living working in the "bush" and want to enjoy a comfortable RV experience while looking at the stars... Just my thoughts...
Travel safe,

"Rangers lead the way" (All the way)
JDB
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:06 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I slept in my trailer for about half a year last year, the closest I came to boondocking was a Lowe's parking lot, however, of all of these nights maybe about 30 were spent in a campground.

We mostly "boondocked" in the middle of town....

People have different uses and expectations in mind....

Talis gentium ceciderunt.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote