Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Just got this from my dealer: Airstream of Scottsdale

We’re excited to announce more information about Airstream Connect, internally known as the Aftermarket Connect Kit. More information about Airstream Connect will available on Thursday, December 27 when it is formally announced to the public on airstream.com

Airstream Connect features include:

Compatibility with any Airstream Travel Trailer or Touring Coach
Unique data plans from AT&T without activation fees
$25 for 5GB of data (can be used over the course of a month)
$360/year, unlimited data, annual pre-pay
Boost performance of weak campground Wi-Fi
Connect and stream entertainment for up to 10 devices
Integrated GPS so owners can find their way back to their Airstream
Arrival and departure checklists

The Airstream Connect hardware (MSRP of $999) includes the following components:
Powerful, easy-to-use Wi-Fi and cellular (LTE-A) router
Roof-mounted, high-performance antenna with 5M of cable
Mounting bracket and custom gasket

Airstream Connect will be sold through the Airstream dealer network and will require professional installation. The Airstream Connect hardware kit can be ordered through PAWs starting January 7, however, dealers should not schedule installation appointments before February 4, 2019, to ensure proper stock levels.

Since Airstream Connect is only available through the Airstream dealer network and requires professional installation, all marketing materials will instruct customers to contact their preferred dealership to schedule installation. Airstream Connect installation instructions will be sent in January.

We’ll keep you informed with Airstream Connect developments - including when part numbers are released to PAWS and the website goes live.

Airstream Marketing
Old 12-21-2018, 05:53 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
That’s great!
Old 12-21-2018, 06:46 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Unhappy

Ugh . . .

One is reminded of the punch line from that old tune . . .

"I owe my soul to the company store . . . "

What?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:49 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Peter—were you expecting something different?
Old 12-22-2018, 04:31 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Yes, definitely something different . . . hardware shipped to the owner to install as needed . . . no obligation to go to a dealer [many of whom -- IMO -- will not install the stuff correctly -- IMO] . . . much less expensive up-front . . .

Where to stop with the bewilderment about this "solution" . . . ?

"Sixteen tons, and what do you get? Another day older and deeper in debt" . . . was that a line from the same song?

This plan may make sense for new Airstreams, in which it will be pre-installed, but it will likely be fraught with the same QC issues that have plagued the company recently. [IMO]

No thanks!

Peter
Old 12-22-2018, 06:39 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
I guess this is exactly what I was expecting it to be. Some kind of off-the-shelf hardware that is made proprietary, installed by dealers so that Airstream can provide some baseline for inevitable warranty claims, and a special price on data services.

I can’t speak to the competence of dealers in general. They’ll get training (materials, perhaps hands-on, who knows) and of course some dealers will do a better job than others. But I can surmise that there’s no way that Airstream would offer any warranty a user install or accept a warranty claim on some other aspect of the trailer damaged by a warranty.

It seems like a pretty good deal to me, though it’s not clear whether the $1k hardware cost includes install or not. Candidly I’m more interested in the plan than in the gear. The gear to do this is pretty readily available but as far as I can tell, hotspot plans across all carriers really suck.

My salesperson emailed me today to say that if my dealer’s service department hasn’t yet done the install on the third-party gear (doubtful) they’ll wait for more information so I can decide which way I want to go. The third-party gear is still Plan A for me... I’ve been stuck in the “wait for it to be acceptable” loop way too many times with technology.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:59 AM   #67
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Yes, definitely something different . . . hardware shipped to the owner to install as needed . . . no obligation to go to a dealer [many of whom -- IMO -- will not install the stuff correctly -- IMO] . . . much less expensive up-front . . .

Where to stop with the bewilderment about this "solution" . . . ?

"Sixteen tons, and what do you get? Another day older and deeper in debt" . . . was that a line from the same song?

This plan may make sense for new Airstreams, in which it will be pre-installed, but it will likely be fraught with the same QC issues that have plagued the company recently. [IMO]

No thanks!

Peter
Hi

The initial announcement included the "dealer install" as well as a hint that the price was going to be "close to a thousand dollars". One assumes that part of that is hardware cost and part is pre-loaded labor to pay the dealer's crew.

If AT&T sticks to the "dealer install" approach, it may be to keep as many people from putting them in their "normal" homes. I suspect they have enough information on typical AS owners to bet that 500 GB per month 12 months out of the year is not normal data usage. It is what I run here at home. When I'm on the road, even with an unlimited plan, I run way less.

They offered this same sort of plan a while back with vehicle plugin hot spots. After a bit people started making adapter kits so you could put them anywhere. Once those hit the market in quantity (and YouTubers started pushing the idea) , the program went away.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 07:02 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
nryn, you know there are lots of other threads about cell and data plans, hot spots, WIFI boosters, etc. etc.?

Will provide links etc. if you wish. If you are on the desktop version of this site on a real computer, the new search function in the blue box above works great.

Good luck,

Peter
Old 12-22-2018, 07:05 AM   #69
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Interested and tagging along for informational purposes!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 07:26 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Peter—thanks—yes, I’m pretty sure I’ve been through all of them and have specced my setup accordingly. . The equipment is actually on my Airstream order already with an annotation to wait on ordering/install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
nryn, you know there are lots of other threads about cell and data plans, hot spots, WIFI boosters, etc. etc.?

Will provide links etc. if you wish. If you are on the desktop version of this site on a real computer, the new search function in the blue box above works great.

Good luck,

Peter
Old 12-22-2018, 08:19 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
I wonder how unlimited the unlimited data plan will be. Will they throttle every month after you use a certain amount?

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:04 AM   #72
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
I wonder how unlimited the unlimited data plan will be. Will they throttle every month after you use a certain amount?

Steve
Hi

One would guess that it's the same as their normal unlimited plans. I've been running one for a couple years. You are guaranteed a number per month (like 22GB) and then they "may" throttle if the tower is congested. I often run over 100GB a month on the road. I have not had any major problems. As long as the signal is out of the "maybe 1 bar/ maybe not" range, I can do pretty much anything I feel I need to.

Bob
Old 12-26-2018, 06:34 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
I have it on good authority that Airstream is going to announce (probably tomorrow) the availability of Airstream Connect for older trailers.

Airstream Connect will be available through the dealer network. The hardware includes the following components:
Powerful, easy to use Wi-Fi and cellular (LTE-A)router
Roof-mounted high performance antenna with 5M of cable
Mounting bracket and custom gasket.

Availability probably won't be until early February. The AT&T data plan currently being offered on the 2019 Classics will be offered to those who chose to retrofit their trailers with this added capability.

As I understand the data plans

The AT&T plans are:
$25 for 5GB of data to be used over the course of a month
Or
$360. Per year, unlimited data with an annual pre-pay.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:19 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for those details. FYI see Post #61 also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
Just got this from my dealer: Airstream of Scottsdale

We’re excited to announce more information about Airstream Connect, internally known as the Aftermarket Connect Kit. More information about Airstream Connect will available on Thursday, December 27 when it is formally announced to the public on airstream.com

Airstream Connect features include:

Compatibility with any Airstream Travel Trailer or Touring Coach
Unique data plans from AT&T without activation fees
$25 for 5GB of data (can be used over the course of a month)
Boost performance of weak campground Wi-Fi
Connect and stream entertainment for up to 10 devices
Integrated GPS so owners can find their way back to their Airstream
Arrival and departure checklists

The Airstream Connect hardware (MSRP of $999) includes the following components:
Powerful, easy-to-use Wi-Fi and cellular (LTE-A) router
Roof-mounted, high-performance antenna with 5M of cable
Mounting bracket and custom gasket

Airstream Connect will be sold through the Airstream dealer network and will require professional installation. The Airstream Connect hardware kit can be ordered through PAWs starting January 7, however, dealers should not schedule installation appointments before February 4, 2019, to ensure proper stock levels.

Since Airstream Connect is only available through the Airstream dealer network and requires professional installation, all marketing materials will instruct customers to contact their preferred dealership to schedule installation. Airstream Connect installation instructions will be sent in January.

We’ll keep you informed with Airstream Connect developments - including when part numbers are released to PAWS and the website goes live.

Airstream Marketing
Old 12-27-2018, 09:34 AM   #75
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I'm loving the annual $360 for unlimited data. If this thing works, that alone would make it awesome.

We already have a complete LTE router-based solution that works incredibly well, but data plans are a real problem. This solution would solve that issue as well, so it's definitely worth investigating for those who haven't already put in a high-end DIY solution like ours.

BTW, "boosting performance of weak campground WiFi" is generally a waste of time, effort and money, but the LTE aspects of this solution would have me at the dealer looking it over.

I wonder whether we could talk a dealer into simply putting their LTE router in Rocinante instead of ours, leaving everything else in place. We pay them their $999, AT&T is happy, Airstream is happy, and we suddenly have a killer data plan. Hmm...

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:22 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
I'm loving the annual $360 for unlimited data. If this thing works, that alone would make it awesome.
. . .
Bingo!

Old 12-28-2018, 06:58 AM   #77
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

AT&T had a very similar deal ($30 a month) about 2 years ago on an in car unlimited plan. It later stopped being sold at retail. The devices still work and the cost per month is still the same. Get it while you can ....

Bob
Old 12-28-2018, 09:15 AM   #78
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
FWIW, I am on the plan in our 2019 Classic right now. 9.26mbps download 3.94 mbps upload. That is enough for me. Amazon Fire and Apple TV work well enough with that speed. I usually have my phone become a hotspot so I am not disappointed with the speed. I do not expect 'home style' speed on the road. The campground we are in has 1 gig ethernet available for free but I am too lazy to pull the wire in for the difference.

Notice they say, "Integrated GPS so owners can find their way back to their Airstream, Arrival and departure checklists". That is with the Airstream SmartRV App. In the 2019's it is connected to the CZone so I can also monitor battery status, tank levels, propane tanks, Awning retract, open the vent, change AC/Heat temps, shore power, lights, all kinds of things while away at dinner. In case the cats need a change of climate while we are out and can't reach the panel themselves. Can't control Alde for hot water boost.

All that requires a plan of some sort to keep it connected to the internet full time. I can turn off the router with a key for storage to avoid the battery drain. I do love the app though. I will keep the batteries on a trickle charge in storage and leave the router running to see how it goes.

Also, not sure if this was because ours was a new purchase but we paid the $360 and got a coupon to have the dealer fill out to get us a $360 rebate from AT&T so our first year is free.
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:42 AM   #79
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
LilPeanut can you tell me approximately how many amps this system is pulling when turned on. There are times when we could use this and other times when we need to really conserve on battery so would need to turn it off. So far I've not seen any specs on power consumption so would appreciate any info you might have.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
Old 01-03-2019, 06:39 PM   #80
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
When I participated in a recent Airstream survey, it was implied that the installed price for this upgrade would be about $1,000. The official announcement on the website has no mention of pricing. Post #74 states that the cost is $999 but does not mention whether or not that includes installation.

Does anyone know what the approximate installed cost for the Airstream Connect upgrade will be?

2018 Flying Cloud 19