Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
I just got off the phone with ATT and they at first knew nothing about the new plan. After pressing them a bit, they tried to send me to a department that sets this up. It is closed on the weekends!

Guess I'll call Monday.
Thanks, it will be interesting to see if they confirm just how limited this plan is apparently.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:00 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I read somewhere that the hotspot will be available for purchase and installation into older Airstreams. I think "professional installation is required". That might be a little, but only a little cheaper than a new trailer.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I read somewhere that the hotspot will be available for purchase and installation into older Airstreams.
. . .
If you could post a URL link to that source, Al, it would good for everyone to know.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 09-24-2018, 01:48 AM   #24

Ocala , Florida
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att...-with-a-catch/
Bcardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:19 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Turk123 do you have an update from AT&T?
mjsully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:17 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
The 'smart' stuff is not enough for me to want to retrofit mine if it was an option.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:43 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
The 'smart' stuff is not enough for me to want to retrofit mine if it was an option.
Hi

A typical modem from the cell phone company is in the ~$150 range. Install of an external antenna on a trailer normally costs something if you have a dealer do it for you. If the magic box comes in below $300 installed, it would be a pretty competitive option for data on the road.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:11 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I just got off the phone with a knowledgeable ATT rep, and we discussed the plan offered. She had to "look it up" as it is new.

The Unlimited Adventure plans are the same as the old unlimited hotspot plan from a year ago except at $10 higher. It gives you unlimited data but with restrictions. The ATT website that shows the new plans does not show the limits.

The first 22GB is genuinely at the fastest speed capable for the network you are near. There is no restriction at all. Once you reach the 22gb monthly usage, the hotspot will adjust to a "shared" status and will provide full speed if possible, but if traffic is high, it may drop to 2G speed. They still provide you with as much data as you want, just possibly at lower speeds in some areas.

I am grandfathered in with my current unlimited hotspot that I purchased before the March 2017 deadline when ATT removed that plan. Those getting in under that date enjoy the unlimited plan described earlier at $22/month.

That plan I have to say was very good. Even when over the limit, we sometimes had excellent internet. And certainly enough to handle the text transmitted to the trailer to change temps or close an awning. Remember, you still can use your cell phone plan and it's data plan separately from the hotspot. Always defer to your cell plan when in the trailer and use the hotspot for special needs.

The new AS plan is tied to the new late 2018-19 Classic model. You cannot get the plan for an older existing trailer.

If you have a "Premium account" with ATT, (I don't know what this is) they offer this same plan for $50/month as a hotspot. Verizon has this all beat right now with their unlimited plan I believe. The ATT rep knew this and said she would be reporting this to the higher-ups.

My existing hotspot plan can be transferred and used on the AS hotspot at my lower rate of $20/month. We use my hotspot in my truck when we take Maddie with us, so we may keep both.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:27 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
The ATT plan has been misrepresented by both ATT and Airstream. There are no truly unlimited plans that do not have restrictions unless you want to pay $150/month. Some of our full-time YouTuber friends are paying those high amounts to get their stories out. Most of us do not need that kind of bandwidth and data. Someday we will have as much as we need at a reasonable price, but that time is not now.

The AS Connect plan does provide for a great rate for the first two years. You pay for the second year at $360/yr and your first year is free. That's $15/month.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:45 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Excellent updates, thanks!

Peter
Old 09-26-2018, 07:57 AM   #31
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

All industries have their own terminology and vocablulary. Working out just what is being described is *always* a matter of reading the fine print and learning their terms. Even on my home line from the (ever popular) cable company, my data usage is not truly "unlimited" there are only so many bits I can pull through it in a month, no matter what.

So, thanks for the details. I have a suspicion that there will be a few more twists and turns as others call up AT&T. I have always wondered it they actually tweak the plans as time goes on or if the rep's just learn a few more details as people ask different questions.

Bob
Old 09-26-2018, 09:16 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
I have a Cricket Wireless "Unlimited Max" plan at $55/month with auto-pay. Cricket, an AT&T subsidiary, has at least three "Unlimited" plans. Why are three unlimited plans needed if these plans are truly unlimited? Ahh . . . they really aren't unlimited.

The "Unlimited Max" plan that I have is "throttled" to 8Mbps - which is fast enough for streaming. I think the other two unlimited plans are throttled to 3Mbs - not fast enough for high definition streaming. At first, that 8Mbps speed limitation was the only limitation on my plan. But then some users started using a hundred gigabites per month, so Cricket added the 22GB slowdown when heavy traffic. The "Unlimited Max" plan also allows 10GB of mobile hotspot per month.

So there are no truly "Unlimited" plans. AT&T can limit for speed, data, video quality and hotspot use. My Cricket "Unlimited Max" plan has enough speed, data and video quality for my needs with fairly decent coverage using AT&T towers.

The other takeaway from this comment is that the rules can change mid-stream. I guess that's OK since my plan has no contract and is month-to-month. But the ability to change goes both ways, if something better comes along I can switch the next month!
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:17 AM   #33
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Did you see

Fine print captures all!

Cheers,

Peter
Small print is never good news.
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:39 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
From another thread FYI:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Airstream will be releasing a retrofit kit for non 2019 classic trailers to be installed by dealers, likely matched / registered to your vin. Should see it hit the market here in Q4.

The kit will likely include a cellular modem + WiFi network device, and an external cellular network antenna + cable.

The big questions (in my mind) are (1) will the SIM card be fixed to the modem chipset or will it be removable / with the ability to insert into a portable att hotspot radio device and (2) will the external cellular antenna Interface be a standard N-female coax port [emoji4]
So is this limited to the Classic model only?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 10-07-2018, 05:56 AM   #35
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Quote:
From another thread FYI:

So is this limited to the Classic model only?

Thanks,

Peter
From Airstream:

Later this year, any Airstream owner can take advantage of two custom data plans powered by AT&T. The Unlimited Adventure plan delivers one year of prepaid unlimited data usage for $360 and the Weekend Adventure plan is a great option for shorter trips by offering 5GB for $25. There are no activation charges.
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks.

https://www.airstream.com/att/

At the bottom: "Airstream will be offering this innovative connectivity solution exclusively through Airstream dealers later this year."

Also: "Hardware and professional installation required. Coverage & service not available everywhere."

The Click Here link leads to:

https://www.att.com/plans/connected-car/airstream.html

. . . where the headline says:

"Available on select trailers model year 2019 and newer"

So the "fine print" at AS and AT&T seems to be in conflict IMO.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:21 AM   #37
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Thanks.

https://www.airstream.com/att/

At the bottom: "Airstream will be offering this innovative connectivity solution exclusively through Airstream dealers later this year."

Also: "Hardware and professional installation required. Coverage & service not available everywhere."

The Click Here link leads to:

https://www.att.com/plans/connected-car/airstream.html

. . . where the headline says:

"Available on select trailers model year 2019 and newer"

So the "fine print" at AS and AT&T seems to be in conflict IMO.

Hi

Maybe they are saying the same thing and "available now" is not the same as "available later this year".

Bob
Old 10-07-2018, 11:59 AM   #38

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Maybe they are saying the same thing and "available now" is not the same as "available later this year".

Bob
And continuing on your statement, maybe it is available now on select 2019 models because the hardware is installed and will be available on others later when the hardware is available and installed. I too think those statements are not mutually exclusive.

(Just noticed I am a Rivet Master, do my musings now carry greater weight? Ha)

Thanks
Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:19 PM   #39
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Here's Airstream's post on the new program: https://www.airstream.com/blog/stay-...ever-you-roam/

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:42 AM   #40
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Here's Airstream's post on the new program: https://www.airstream.com/blog/stay-...ever-you-roam/
Hi

I'd say that very much says coming soon / available to everybody. The one thing it does not mention is the cost of the required hardware (plus dealer install). It could be that the data plan is cost reduced to offset the (steep) price of the hardware.

One might also ask - what's the price after the first year?

Lots of details still to be revealed ......

Bob