Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2018, 09:10 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
It used to be the case that you got Verizon if you were often in rural areas and AT&T if you were mostly in cities. What are recent experiences with the different carriers like?

We have a farm in an (obviously) rural area and until very recently I couldn’t get a strong enough AT&T signal to rely on it. But that changed about 18 months ago and now my signal is often better than when I’m in the city. They must have put up a new tower or something. In any case my family and I will be traveling the US next summer and I’m keen on finding out if AT&T is good enough for rural travel or if I should set up a Verizon account.

Airstream’s announcement is timely, as I am just now speccing the Wi-Fi and 4G booster for install in my trailer (on order).
Old 10-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Time frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
At the bottom: "Airstream will be offering this innovative connectivity solution exclusively through Airstream dealers later this year."
From an email I recently received from Bryan Melton at Airstream: "Our current plan is to have this ready for installation starting December 1st, with a goal of rolling out the product to our dealers in late November."

So if they're able to meet their schedule you can get it installed starting in December.

Thanks,

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:36 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Slightly off-topic

Looks like AT&T is going all-in with a new wave of services to the consumer, perhaps as part of its merger with Time Warner, DIRECTV, etc. IMO:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/at...ice-2018-10-10
http://about.att.com/story/2018/att_appnexus.html
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/10/att-...next-year.html
http://www.latimes.com/business/holl...912-story.html

This new wave would logically include the Airstream deal and others.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:12 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
I have a 2018 Classic 33, and I use the WiFi Ranger as well as the WeBoost cellular booster. Both work wonderfully well...

I will add a few notes to this. The WiFi Ranger doesn’t provide any benefit if you’re in a place with no available wifi nearby, which applies to most of the state parks and recreation areas where I typically stay.

I carry a Verizon Jetpack with me for WiFi, and set it next to the WeBoost interior antenna. This improves the signal and speed of the cellular connection for the Jetpack, thus improving the WiFi throughput.

I will also note that my phone shows no change in cellular bars (I have an iPhone Xs) even when placed right next to the WeBoost interior antenna. However, the Jetpack actually has a gain meter on it, and there is a significant improvement on the signal even though the “bar” meter on the phone doesn’t change.

Regarding the AT&T package being offered in the new Airstreams (and also as a retrofit for older Airstreams), I was originally very excited about this since I use my trailer to work remotely while taking extended hunting trips. However, on my most recent trip to North and South Dakota, a friend joined me for part of the trip and his service (AT&T) was non-existent, while mine (Verizon) was fine... The AT&T package won’t work for me if I can’t get reception when I need it most, so I’m sticking with my Verizon Jetpack, even though I’m limited to 15gb.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:48 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update. We also have ATT only, but would be interested in adding Verizon for some long trips next year, for the reasons you detail. Hopefully ATT will be improving their nationwide presence, as their corporate goal seems to be going in that direction IMO.

Peter
Old 11-04-2018, 05:23 AM   #46
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Wifi ranger is also only useful if the wifi you find is any good. Most campground wifi networks aren’t worth a plug nickel.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:34 AM   #47
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Wifi ranger is also only useful if the wifi you find is any good. Most campground wifi networks aren’t worth a plug nickel.
Hi

In two years of trying, I have yet to find a single campground WiFi that did a better job than my AT&T modem. That's not a total surprise, I had read the posts here on the forum before I put everything in the trailer. Still, if I was going to do it again ... forget about the WiFi Ranger ... It just sits there and drains the batteries.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:47 PM   #48
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
The fine print is never good news.
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:39 AM   #49
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPJ View Post
The fine print is never good news.
Hi

So far (two seasons of use) the "fine print" on the AT&T unlimited plan really hasn't hit us very badly. If the tower congests up speeds drop. Wait a bit and they come back up. Even having that happen has been quite rare. We are ... burp ... data hogs. If anybody was getting hit, we'd be first on the list ...

Bob
Old 11-30-2018, 04:37 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
From an email I recently received from Bryan Melton at Airstream: "Our current plan is to have this ready for installation starting December 1st, with a goal of rolling out the product to our dealers in late November."
. . .
Has Airstream updated you on this time frame?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 12-01-2018, 07:12 AM   #51
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:

Thanks,

Peter
Hi

Based on the issues reported on the Classic, I'd bet they will slip delivery by a couple weeks. That way they can load (near) working firmware before the devices leave the factory. Apparently the firmware update process is not (yet?) under user control.

Bob
Old 12-03-2018, 05:59 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Quote:

Thanks,

Peter
Hi Peter. No update. I'll see what I can find out.

Thanks,

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:42 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
I just heard from Airstream of Scottsdale - they do not have any information yet on the availability of the system in older Airstreams.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:37 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
Hi Peter. No update. I'll see what I can find out.

Thanks,

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
I just heard from Airstream of Scottsdale - they do not have any information yet on the availability of the system in older Airstreams.
Wondering if you have any further updates from Airstream about availability of this plan for older Airstreams?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 12-20-2018, 06:49 AM   #55
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

From other threads - the system still seems to be having issues in at least some installations. If I was AS, I'd delay until they got those worked out.

Bob
Old 12-20-2018, 08:08 AM   #56

As a consumer, I'd be reluctant to have AS do anything but build the most technologically basic trailer they make. From them I want no fancy touch screens, no electric awnings, nada. I just want them to get the big stuff right so I can go camping (or live in it full time, as we have done this year). Then, if I want high-tech touches I'll have professionals add them afterward, or maybe do it myself.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:21 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
My 2019 Airstream Globetrotter 27 was delivered to my dealer a week ago and on Monday I went to go see it for the first time, finalize paperwork, and discuss particulars on some enhancements their service department will do to my trailer before I pick it up in March. Among those enhancements are the installations of cell and wifi boosters. My dealer has been in contact with their Airstream rep on the availability of the AT&T/Airstream OEM "retrofit". Like many of you, I've been monitoring Airforum threads on the rollout of the system in the 2019 Classics, and it's clear there are some (perhaps to-be-expected) teething pains.

I'm confident these issues will be ironed out in time. When I asked, my salesperson says his rep reports that it may be "some time" before the retrofit is available and MY2020 at the very least before trailers other than the Classics feature prewiring. Without official word from Airstream this is all rumor, of course, but the last official word from Airstream on the availability of the retrofit was that there would be more information by the end of the year, and here we are (more or less).

In any case, I'm moving ahead with Plan A, which was to install non-OEM, non carrier-specific booster equipment in the Airstream. I'm thankful to those who are beta testing the new system (especially you, Turk123, who have also been sharing your experiences candidly). It'll be a nice system for those who get it once everything is worked out--to have a system like this covered by warranty and serviceable (presumably) at any dealer should greatly streamline a basic need for pretty much everyone these days--connectivity.

I'm more interested in the RV-specific plan than I am the hardware. I agree with Rocinante that the technology in these trailers should be kept simple--Airstreams are supposed to be trailers built for life but the lifespan and relevance of these electronics is often less than five years. More than a "built in" system, I would love to get a trailer pre-wired for boosters that we could choose or that had conduit run to areas of the trailer where such equipment is often installed.

In any case, I'll still follow these threads. As I said, technology moves quickly and I may well find myself upgrading these systems in a few years. For now I'm just eager to get on the road with equipment that has been in the field for a while.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:32 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
As a consumer, I'd be reluctant to have AS do anything but build the most technologically basic trailer they make. From them I want no fancy touch screens, no electric awnings, nada. I just want them to get the big stuff right so I can go camping (or live in it full time, as we have done this year). Then, if I want high-tech touches I'll have professionals add them afterward, or maybe do it myself.
Agree in general, but the main appeal, for us at least, of the new AT&T/Airstream plan is the ability to add it to older trailers, and get a really good deal on the entire package, data-wise . . . even without using it in the Airstream.

This packaging of the usage plan is TBD, but it could prove to be a real savings financially, if AT&T wants it to be, for the benefit of having the Airstream name be part of their marketing.

Using the new setup while OTRA would just be icing on the cake!

Peter

OTRA -- On The Road Again.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:19 AM   #59

AT&T briefly offered an awesome plan with truly unlimited data, called Unlimited Plus, for $99 / month. If they cared to, they could still offer that plan, but it’s gone. So it’s pretty clear that meeting this need isn’t something they care much about at present.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:22 AM   #60
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
My Florida Title shows.... letting the ink dry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	330094