Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2004, 12:09 PM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
All I can say is WOW! That is WAY different that I thought they looked like...I keep thinking about the 22' Safari, non CCD and I gotta say, that 22' is very sharp as a CCD. I like the floor config MUCH better than the 22' Safari.

How is that sub? I see you got the video package which came with the upgraded sound system/dvd player. I'm interested on how well the sub performs in the Airstream and if you notice the lights flicker. I was thinking of getting the Sony as our Safari has the sub connections and power already prewired to the location...just missing the sub. I don't think the speakers handle bass very well so, I am kind of look for any feedback you might have X about your sub. One thing is that when I boondock, I don't want to run the batteries down and I think the sub could do that.....but not sure...anyway, it's a awesome coach! When are you going to take it out and run it with the VW?

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 02:03 PM   #22
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Oh man, what a beaut....

I really like the brushed metal/aluminun doors and surrounds in the 22' CCD. I was really hoping that an option like that would be available on my 19' CCD before I ordered it. It's not as somber as the dark/black wood trim that is in the 19' CCD.

I am sure that in less than 2 weeks after I take delivery of mine, AS will have this interior as an option, with my luck!!!!

Best wishes for you and the new AS. Do let us know how it tows with the T-reg.

Jonathan
Old 04-23-2004, 02:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Very NICE!

Congratulations! Looking at your CCD makes me want to go out and play in MY CCD! Enjoy!

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 02:12 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Oh gosh, you guys are the best. Thanks for all your kind words.

Discovered that I do have propane. I'm off to fire up the furnace!!!

Later gators,

X
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 02:27 PM   #25
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray
Discovered that I do have propane. I'm off to fire up the furnace!!!

Later gators,

X
Heck, for all the $$$ I'm sure you spent on this thing, you darn well ought to have a couple of full propane tanks. The fridge should be full of beer, too...and the fresh water tank filled with champagne. and the delivery guy should've given you a ....

ok, I'll stop there, as per forum rules..
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 06:33 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Congrats!

Hope your trailer is as sweet as mine. I have not had a minute of remorse, only elation! Airstream outs out a fine product!

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 08:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Congratulations, X. You're certainly allowed to live in it in the driveway for awhile! We sure did.

Seriously, it's important to spend about a week in it. First, make sure the break-away brake pin is in. Wrap the cable back over the switch and around the jack so it can't accidentally get pulled.

Sanitize the fresh water system and fill the fresh tank. Put about 4-5 gallons of water in the black tank to prevent the dreaded black mountain.

Turn on the pump, make sure the water heater is full (no air in the hot lines) and fire it up once to make sure it works. Shut it off until about 1/2 hour or so before you need hot water.

Light each of the stove burners. Once that's done, light the pilot light in the oven, if so equipped. Set it on 350 and make sure the whole burner lights up. Then shut the oven control off.

Fire up the refrigerator on gas. Fill up some ice cube trays and put them in the freezer. Put a few cases of pop and/or beer in the refrigerator. Make sure it freezes/cools them down on gas.

Turn off the refrigerator temporarily, then shut off the gas at the propane tanks. Wait a couple of hours and go back and try to light one of the stove burners. If there are no leaks in the gas system, the burner should light and burn for a little while until the gas pressure drops. If there are leaks, you'll have no pressure at the burner and it won't light and burn. Turn the gas and the refrigerator back on Auto.

Get a good 30A extension cord, if necessary, and a 30A female to 15A male adapter and plug the trailer into the house.

Switch the refrigerator over to AC. Dump the ice from the trays into a ziplock bag, and put that and refilled trays into the freezer. Leave the refrigerator running on AC for awhile and make sure the trays freeze and the ice in the baggie doesn't melt, but stays in cube form.

Pull the battery caps and make sure there's sufficient water in them. You'll be charging them while plugged into the house AC.

Check all the 12V lights and fans, and the radio and water pump. Take a 120VAC outlet tester around to all the 120V outlets and make sure they are wired correctly.

If you have something that plugs into a 12VDC cigarette lighter outlet, try it in them, otherwise measure their voltage with a meter and make sure they're live.

Bring a TV out to the trailer and hook it up to the outlet(s) making sure you know how to use the antenna. Don't forget to turn its amplifier off when not using it.

Try the microwave oven, if so equipped, with a cup of water.

Each of you should heat up a tank of water and take a shower. This will give you a good idea of how much (or little) hot water you have, as well as how hot the water gets. Don't quote me on this, but you can/should dump the grey water on the ground, to get a feel for dumping. A little soapy water isn't going to hurt anything.

Check the air pressure in the tires and the torque on the lug nuts.... now and every 50 miles for the next 100 miles.

You'll learn a LOT in a few days of living in the trailer in the driveway!

Again, congratulations!
Old 04-23-2004, 08:54 PM   #28
Rivet Master

There is soooo much good advice in this thread. Fortunately, we have about three weeks until we depart on our first sojourn which should take us out for a month or so. There's time to tweak, try, and enjoy in the driveway. Today, I spent the entire day in the trailer trying out stuff, firing up the fridge, water heater, and running the furnace and then doing it again. I burned all the new stuff off the furnace and stove and fired up the oven too. Was a great day, can't wait for tomorrow. Might actually hitch up and take it for a spin. But, I won't rush.

Realized that A/S left off the second Fantastic Fan I ordered. Was even on the invoice and I paid for it. So, customer service advised that they are shipping it to me and I can either install it or have a dealer do it at their cost. They were confused. The optional Fantastic Fan (#2) is really in the bedroom but that's the one they gave me. I'm pretty handy so I thought I might take a stab at it. Biggest thing is finding 12V in the ceiling. They said its probably there (this is the rear vent I'll be replacing). If not, I need to find some juice. Any suggestions? Should I just leave this to a dealer? What are your thoughts? Getting a good seal? Muchos gracias!

Anyway, I am indebted for both the support and knowledge expressed on my behalf. Like I've said before, there's loads of really great info here. Thank you.

X
Old 04-24-2004, 10:03 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Let them do it. If you have the need to fix things I'm sure lots of folk will let you play with their stuff.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 12:47 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
2nf F/F

X, We had a 2nd one (by the bathroom) put in our 22' CCD by the dealer. I'd recommend you do that in case some warranty thing occurs in the future. Our dealer called us yesterday afternoon to let us know our 04 25' had arrived. We're picking it up next weekend after they put the solar panels on. Very smart of you to burn in the furnace. That was one of the few complaints we had with ours (of course we were total newbies to trailering last year). Did it actually come from the factory with propane in the tanks?
Enjoy,
Ken
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 05:09 PM   #31
Rivet Master

New upholstery to replace the "Hazard Orange"

A couple of updates:

1) the Fantastic Fan will be installed by the New Mexico dealer (Holiday Travel Trailers). They are glad to assist and were most gracious when I talked to them.

2) We've decided to get rid of the "life raft orange" seats in our CCD and are having them upholstered with this fabric. We thought it was a bit more organic while using the color scheme of the existing surfaces. Frankly, we like it much better than "Hazard Orange" on the dining seats. This one warms up the interior quite a bit without distracting from the modern styling, in our humble opinions. Should be finished next week. I'll post a completed pic when done.

Here's the new pattern (top) and the original fabric (bottom).

X
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2004, 05:48 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydc
Hope your trailer is as sweet as mine. I have not had a minute of remorse, only elation! Airstream outs out a fine product!
Absolutely DITTO!!!

X, definitely check those wheel lugs with a torque wrench after each stop. I have made three trips for a total of about 100 miles and MOST of my lugs were not torqued after checking three different times. Can not imagine the horror for someone who is not checking those lugs after delivery. I picture a wheel spinning by on the highway...

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 05:57 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Thanks Dee, will do! Appreciate the feedback very much.

X
Old 04-28-2004, 08:20 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Hiya Xray,
I have been at a rally so I missed the big arrival. Just saw the posts today. With each post the anticipation mounted. First the storm, then the traffic jam... I was wondering what else. I am sure you were on pins and needles.
When we bought our 96 Excella.... we felt the same way. Wondering if we were making the biggest mistake of our lives. We already had a vintage tradewinds. Once we made the decision and got the excella home. We both realized we had done a very right thing.
We have taken just a few trips to florida and up to helen. in two weeks we embark on our big trip. To pagosa and beyond. We know our stay will be in comfort -- that means alot.
Now i am just blabbering... congrats on your ccd. We hope there many happy trails ahead for you and yours.

Tom & Betsy
WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 08:22 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Oh Gee,
i forgot to add..... the ccd looks great!!!!
WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 08:40 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Tom and Betsy,

We have started packing the CCD and making it our own. I love it more and more every day.

It made it here safe and sound and unscathed. It has license plates now. I paid for the insurance. It feels real. Today is week 1 anniversary. I'm celebrating!

Thanks for the post.

X
Old 05-17-2004, 07:36 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Had Holiday Travel Trailers in Albuquerque install the rear Fantastic Fan that I paid for but A/S forgot to install at the factory (A/S sent a new fan and paid for install). I only have one word to describe it - FANTASTIC. You were all correct in suggesting that the dealer do it. Turns out the fan has a remote thermostat/control that needed to be snaked to the wall to the left of the kitchen sink.The tech said it took some time and a call or two to the Center but he got it done. I left the trailer overnight - gasp! - so not to rush the install. They did a terrific job and seem to be a very good A/S dealer. Call Dan at (505) 294-8280, if in the area. Their service tech is Andrew and he has been working on A/S's for many years. Not your run of the mill RV tech. He was VERY professional and showed MUCH attention to detail, thankfully.

My front Fantastic Fan has all the controls on the facia of the fan and the fan speed adjustment range is quite limited - fast or very fast, so it seems. The new one in the back has the external controls. I can control the fan speed to a very, very low setting on the rear fan. I will be able to crack the front one open and set the back one on a very low speed setting while sleeping and it shouldn't be a bother at all and give us some good ventilation.

Also had the fridge lighting problem corrected. A simple adjustment to the ignitor was all it took. The gap was too close when delivered. Starts on the second or third try now. Terrific!

Packing up! Had a departure delay as I caught a spring cold and was laid up for a couple days last week.

Stay healthy and happy everybody!

X