Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2017, 08:24 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Good point...we have not had any issues in our AS, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Overall, great advice. However, we do not leave dry food in the trailer while it is in storage (except maybe canned food). Our theory is that it could draw rodents into the trailer, and we don't want that!
That is a good point to consider, Rocinante, depending on where you keep your AS. Maybe we have been very lucky, but we have not had that issue; I know others have mentioned issues with SOB's and perhaps older AS's? Friend had his Class C MH invaded with mice after having it only a few weeks.

We typically keep snack crackers, chips, packaged foods such as Uncle Bens rice packages, oatmeal cups, Golden Grill hash brown cartons, breakfast bars, etc., and no issues with rodents...we have lots of squirrels, chip monks, and mice up here in Lincoln MT. In Austin we have squirrels, rats, and mice to deal with also, but no issues in our AS. Perhaps newer models are better sealed?

Any others experienced rodent problems with newer AS's?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:31 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Good suggestion, Uncle Bob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

.... or keep the dry stuff in metal tins.

A variation on this is a "storage box" ( possibly fiberglass) to store it all in. You transfer inside the trailer rather than lug things out from the house. The empty bin goes back and forth. It's always seemed like a pain to me ....

Bob
We do use the plastic bins and metal canisters for most all of our food compartments, especially now that we have the new 28'. Without the slide out pantry we were used to in the 25' models, we had to do some thinking on how/where to put food. We opted for pairing down our spices to the spice rack, and put the dry food above the dinette table in the 2 large storage bins, inside plastic bins or metal containers for pancake mix, sugar, and of course....coffee.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 06-15-2017, 08:51 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Hi

.... or keep the dry stuff in metal tins.

A variation on this is a "storage box" ( possibly fiberglass) to store it all in. You transfer inside the trailer rather than lug things out from the house. The empty bin goes back and forth. It's always seemed like a pain to me ....

Bob

I like the Oxo Good grips, a little pricey but they work great. I don't know if these lock out the smell though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01JB...age+containers
Old 06-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #104
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Ah, haha, a "mouse box" instead of a "bear box" to keep the stored food safe. Might work! Our theory includes the smell of food inside the trailer enticing them in, even if they can't get to it. If the container is truly airtight and mouse-tooth-proof, that may just be the ticket.

Of course, who knows what really lures a mouse into a trailer, aside from simple opportunity (e.g. an inviting point of entry), and a dry, relatively warm / safe place to hang out? Maybe stored food isn't the real issue. We certainly won't pretend to be squeaky little experts on that fuzzy topic.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:09 AM   #105
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Ah, haha, a "mouse box" instead of a "bear box" to keep the stored food safe. Might work! Our theory includes the smell of food inside the trailer enticing them in, even if they can't get to it. If the container is truly airtight and mouse-tooth-proof, that may just be the ticket.

Of course, who knows what really lures a mouse into a trailer, aside from simple opportunity (e.g. an inviting point of entry), and a dry, relatively warm / safe place to hang out? Maybe stored food isn't the real issue. We certainly won't pretend to be squeaky little experts on that fuzzy topic.
Hi

My guess is that there are enough crumbs on the floor to make the AS "interesting". If you soap and water mop the trailer daily ... maybe not. I certainly do not do that.

Easy way to detect mice: Put a box of Kleenex on the floor. If the are present, they *will* find it and turn it into a pile of fluff. They *love* Kleenex. I have data on this ....(They also love spilled barley, but that's a different hobby ...)

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:26 AM   #106
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
Ready to buy now ... new questions on Hitch Ball Height

Again, as a newbie I have learned a lot from you all. BIG THANKS and HOPE ONE DAY WILL MEET YOU ON CAMPGROUNDS AND OFFER YOU COFFEE, WINE, OR DRINKS.

Now we are ready to drive to distance for best deal to buy and tow. I have a Ford Transit Cargo Van and the current Hitch Ball height from ground to top is at 17.5". It is the right height that will keep my future 22FB at level when tow?
playc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:32 AM   #107
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Hi

My guess is that there are enough crumbs on the floor to make the AS "interesting". If you soap and water mop the trailer daily ... maybe not. I certainly do not do that.

Easy way to detect mice: Put a box of Kleenex on the floor. If the are present, they *will* find it and turn it into a pile of fluff. They *love* Kleenex. I have data on this ....(They also love spilled barley, but that's a different hobby ...)

Bob

Interesting idea! We may also try placing some un-baited traps in strategic locations likely to be visited by mice to see what happens. A professional exterminator once told me that mice are quite curious and if you place a trap in a trafficked area they can easily be trapped, even without bait.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:09 AM   #108
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We routinely get mice in the garage in the fall. They completely ignore the traps, with or without bait. They will find a random box of Kleenex, no matter where it is in the garage

Bob
Old 06-17-2017, 02:39 PM   #109
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
Hitch ball height and hot water questions

1) Is there spec that defines the hitch ball height for level towing? Not sure need to get a new hitch to pickup my Sport 22FB.

2) While hot water will run on propane, Will the hot water run run on Electric or Battery power? As there's electric at campsite but propane may run out already.

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:59 AM   #110
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by playc View Post
1) Is there spec that defines the hitch ball height for level towing? Not sure need to get a new hitch to pickup my Sport 22FB.

2) While hot water will run on propane, Will the hot water run run on Electric or Battery power? As there's electric at campsite but propane may run out already.

Thanks.
Hi

In my experience, the hitch height is adjusted by eyeball if the mechanic is good enough or by level checks on the trailer if he has a concern. Either way, the surface the TV and trailer are on needs to be flat and level.

On most hot water setups, you enable electric (110V) or LP separately. The only part of water heat that I am aware of running on 12V is the water pump. Some fridge setups will run on LP / 12V / 110V. I'm not a big fan of running major loads off of 12V for 24 hours a day. I would probably turn off the 12V feature on a fridge like that.

If you have run out of propane just running the fridge, something is wrong. Running a fridge for a week in hot weather should not budge the needle on a 30 lb propane tank. I suspect you either have a tank sensor error (it reads empty when it's full), the tank is shut off (I've done that ...), or there is a leak in the system (not a good thing).

Bob
Old 06-18-2017, 08:38 AM   #111
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
Quote:
Hi

In my experience, the hitch height is adjusted by eyeball if the mechanic is good enough or by level checks on the trailer if he has a concern. Either way, the surface the TV and trailer are on needs to be flat and level.

On most hot water setups, you enable electric (110V) or LP separately. The only part of water heat that I am aware of running on 12V is the water pump. Some fridge setups will run on LP / 12V / 110V. I'm not a big fan of running major loads off of 12V for 24 hours a day. I would probably turn off the 12V feature on a fridge like that.

If you have run out of propane just running the fridge, something is wrong. Running a fridge for a week in hot weather should not budge the needle on a 30 lb propane tank. I suspect you either have a tank sensor error (it reads empty when it's full), the tank is shut off (I've done that ...), or there is a leak in the system (not a good thing).

Bob
Hi Bob - Thanks for the advice.

I plan to pickup our 22FB in Tampa late August. Just like to learn more as I am extra excited about my first AS.

1) I have a hitch on my Van already. It is not adjustable and "no sway control" and measures about 17" from ground to ball top. Like to know if it is the good height or I need to get a new hitch.

2) I take the AC and Hot Water, and Heater will run on Propane if no electric as just imaging on either a very hot or cold day with a stopover at Walmart parking lot for few hours on a long trip, would like to run AC or Heater to rest and relax for few hours while spouse does some shopping ... just curious if this is what you all would do?

Now counting about 2 months now I will join you as proud AS owners ...
Thanks again for your advice.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:14 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
does the 22Sport have elecric hot water??

Quote:
Hi

Bob
You might have to check but I am not sure the Sport has both electric and propane...think it is just propane... the fridge does not run 3 way so no 12V in AS models...just propane and electric from my experience?
Old 06-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Water heater on 22 sport only runs on propane.

I think you should expect to have a hitch with sway control added. If you also do not have a break controller that will need to be added as well.

AC will not run unless you are plugged into shore power. Fantastic fan will run on battery. If you would be too hot without the windows open and no AC you will not want to layover in the trailer. Good news is that the windows on the sport open really easily for a quick stop.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:24 PM   #114
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Water heater on 22 sport only runs on propane.

I think you should expect to have a hitch with sway control added. If you also do not have a break controller that will need to be added as well.

AC will not run unless you are plugged into shore power. Fantastic fan will run on battery. If you would be too hot without the windows open and no AC you will not want to layover in the trailer. Good news is that the windows on the sport open really easily for a quick stop.
Great advice and thanks. I have a hitch already and will check local U-hall to add the sway control. Hope it's something easy to do.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:36 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Great advice and thanks. I have a hitch already and will check local U-hall to add the sway control. Hope it's something easy to do.

Do you have a weight-distribution hitch? You need a special hitch. Being new myself purchasing 7 months ago, I wasn't aware I needed a special hitch.

Dealer would not let me off lot unless I had brake controller and weight distribution hitch.

I installed brake controller myself. And I purchased the weight distribution hitch from them. It cost $700.

You can't just add away bars to an existing normal hitch.

Good luck, you will be an expert soon!
Old 06-18-2017, 08:35 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Oh but your refrigerator WILL run 3-way, so gas, or battery, or propane. We ran electric when plugged into power, propane when boon docking.

Piggy Bank
Old 06-18-2017, 08:45 PM   #117
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Do you have a weight-distribution hitch? You need a special hitch. Being new myself purchasing 7 months ago, I wasn't aware I needed a special hitch.

Dealer would not let me off lot unless I had brake controller and weight distribution hitch.

I installed brake controller myself. And I purchased the weight distribution hitch from them. It cost $700.

You can't just add away bars to an existing normal hitch.

Good luck, you will be an expert soon!
Thank you for the info.

Weight Distribution Hitch? Not sure it will apply to my Transit Van.
My Ford Transit Cargo Van has a factory installed tow package with brake controller. Is it the same as "Weight Distribution Hitch" you referred?

Currently I have a hitch extender. I assume the Sway Control is to be added to the AS hitch frame, right? Will AS installed it as an option? Or, I need to get it installed after the pickup from the dealer?

Sorry that I asked these questions if they sounds not very smart of me.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:48 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We replaced the stock Dometic refrigerators in both the 2015 23D International Serenity and the 2014 Classic with units from Vitrifigo in Italy (marine units) that use a 12Vdc DanFoss freon based compressor. They also come with a converter so we wired them to use shore power when hooked up to shore power or battery only when running the inverter. There is instant cooling and no fire hazard like from the ammonia based Dometic units.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:59 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Thank you for the info.

Weight Distribution Hitch? Not sure it will apply to my Transit Van.
My Ford Transit Cargo Van has a factory installed tow package with brake controller. Is it the same as "Weight Distribution Hitch" you referred?

Currently I have a hitch extender. I assume the Sway Control is to be added to the AS hitch frame, right? Will AS installed it as an option? Or, I need to get it installed after the pickup from the dealer?

Sorry that I asked these questions if they sounds not very smart of me.
I recommend you google "equalizer hitch" and take a look at their Youtube videos. That will explain it better than any of us.

Piggy Bank
Old 06-18-2017, 10:19 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Playc, agree with piggy bank, several names of weight distribution hitchs are equalizer, blue ox, pro-pride, Hensley, and likely others. Or go to camping world and search weight distribution hitches.

Don't feel bad, I had no idea. But you will need one of these after market weight distribution hitches. Has nothing to do with the tow package on your van. Thx