Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2019, 11:49 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have the generator. Happy with it. Do not do a lot of boondocking but have done so for two weeks in a shady campground. I guess both would be nice but I am reluctant to spend the money for solar or lithium batteries for our uses. We do not have or use an inverter for anything.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:39 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
SLC , Utah
Nothing like peace and quite. And if you get hot go to a higher elevation. AC is over rated and also makes a lot of noise. I have solar and a 200 amp lithium battery working fine with our Euro 8cuft 12v dc fridge. Have yet to run the battery dry with 180 watts of solar charging for 4 days in a rain storm.
MojoRisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:11 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Solar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbroadbike View Post
We need your help. We are trying to decide between 200 watts of installed solar or a 2200 watt generator. We have a 2014 FC 27 and no mechanical talents. Thanks for any assistance you can give us.
I have 200 Watts on my fixed solar panels. Depending o orientation but I can count on 14 V @ 8 Amps without moving the panels. That is 112 Watt hours X 8 hours a day or 996 Watt hours to the battery. My lcd led tv uses much less than previously sited at 25 watts. So 4 hours use 100 Watt hours. Microwave uses 800 Watt for about 15 minutes or a total of 200 Watt hours. Led lighting users about 25 Watts @ 14V for 4 hours or 100 Watt hours. Subtract 100 Watts hours loss leaves me net plenty.
RonJudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:54 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
First, decide how you're going to
camp. Out in the boonies? Far from power, water? Staying a couple of weeks?
What's the most desirable thing in a campsite? Shade!

In all my years, I've never done that. That's just me.

Second, adding solar is very expensive. New batteries, heavy wiring for the controller, added panels, etc.

A generator is always handy, I carry one and have never used it on the road. I stop where there's power. I guess if I moochdocked at Walmart, I'd use it, but so far I haven't.

I just returned from a wonderful week, and everywhere had 50 amp pedestals.

I might consider a portable panel, just for fun. One that's set up on the ground. Then I'd worry about it being stolen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRisen View Post
AC is over rated and also makes a lot of noise.
Come to Florida in August!
In a tent!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:26 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Orange , California
Get the Yamaha 2K. It's still able to be carried and will run all the lighting, TV, radios
and charge the batteries, but will not run the AC. Besides, this generator will provide
more power than a couple solar panels, especially with no bright sun. The genset is around $900 and runs quiet, has a fuel gauge, fuel shut off and is easy to maintain!
We take ours everywhere we go.
Big Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:14 AM   #26
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One thing I'm still not quite clear on - why is this an either or question?

I can go out and buy a reasonable generator for anywhere from about $400 to $3000. I can get basic portable solar for (maybe) $200. You can do pretty well on solar $4000. For the same $4000 you can go to 400AH of lithium batteries. There are a *lot* of combinations and permutations on each of these so it's not either or price wise.

I certainly would not argue with the idea that not everybody needs or uses a generator. I also would not argue that solar is a life or death thing either. Lithium's are still in the "early adopter" phase. You can plan around not having any of this stuff. People have done just that for many decades.

Planning wise, with no solar, you need to work out how to keep the batteries happy in storage. If you store indoors, solar wasn't going to help that anyway. Without any mods, you need to pick short stays with no power and mostly focus on sites with at least some power available.

The flip side of "I want to go everywhere with no limits" is an illusion. You could spend a *lot* of money on "everything" on the list above and still have very real limits on what you can do. You also will have less money in the bank to spend on getting out and going camping .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:23 AM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^
100%😘

When we bought our first AS, the first 'convenience' buy...1000w Yamaha.👍
We have stayed pretty KISS since and only added as we felt the need, we have reached our satisfaction plateau...unless the mountain gets higher.🥴

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-10-2019, 12:33 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Land Yacht
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
CarGenerator

Bobbi and I also have a CarGenerator. Simple, lightweight, and definitely recharges the batteries without fussing around with extra gas or a heavy generator. It won't run heavy equipment (it's basically a 1,000 watt generator) but is otherwise wonderful. HIGHLY recommended.
HappyHapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #29
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Your TV is lightweight?😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-10-2019, 01:54 PM   #30

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Your TV is lightweight?[emoji23]

Bob
[emoji631]
128in plasma [emoji12]
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:01 AM   #31
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
128in plasma [emoji12]
Hi

I believe mine lists out at 244". Not sure that I got the plasma cannon option, but it sounds like it would come in handy ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote