Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Close...

Shari

This would way cool if those trucks were al-iou-minni-yum Grumans ...
Bob
Xbob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:50 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I never was brave enough to climb on the roof of the 29'er but the topside of the 34'er was GROSS! I leaned a ladder against top window frame of the kitchen, extended it so it was about even with the top and went up.

Walking and kneeling on the rivit lines is stonger than the roof of my SOB. Stay off the endcaps! they are much softer and don't have the structure under them.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #23
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
...I'm thinking of getting a collapsible ladder to take with us, but not sure what's best...all I want is a ladder that gets small, safe, light and easy to open and close. Any suggestions?

Gene
hi gene...

only a few threads on ladder choices for 'stream travel,

i'm sure u can find them.

i carried this one for many years and it worked fine...

extending ladder...

not a lot of moving parts, very functional, light, but still not real small when folded.

it's now a house/yard ladder.

i started carrying this one 4 years ago, it's gotten plenty of use RVing only, and by many campers...

folding A frame ladder/double sided

i'm just a tad over the rating and it's held up fine.

folds VERY small ((~5x7 inches x 7-8 feet)) WATCH the VIDEO on set up...

NEITHER of these are long enough for climbing ONTO the top of a stream...

but both work fine for accessing above the awnings or washing the top or dealing with the vents...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:38 PM   #24
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
I just tip it over and work on it and then tip it back. If you use this method, be sure to check that the Mrs. is not inside or there will be a terrible grinding, smashing, slicing, gonna kick you A** sound coming from the ceiling

I was able to wash the top of our 05, didn't stand, kind of laid on top it at 225, it held up great. You can get to most of it with the right kind of ladder.

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Which reminds me—I'm thinking of getting a collapsible ladder to take with us, but not sure what's best. I was looking at some at Lowe's. The cheaper one had really bad steps and the more extensive one was pretty heavy. Both were rated 300 lbs. I forget the brand name, but they were those ladders that can be a scaffold, ladder or step ladder. That's all nice, and tempting to get for household use, but for travel, all I want is a ladder that gets small, safe, light and easy to open and close. Any suggestions?

Gene
Hi Gene,
I just bought one of these.
Welcome to Telesteps
It is 12 feet extended. I figure if I always have it with me when I travel, there will never be a need to access the roof.
I got a very good price on it with one of eBay's daily deals.
regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:41 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Roof Work on 2006 Classic

I recently replaced the two skylights on our 2006 model year Classic, using the following approach.

A cardboard shipping container for a refrigerator was obtrained from a local appliance store (this is very thick and strong cardboard) and cut into two large sections. The two sections of cardboard were placed on the roof, one on top of the other. Under this sandwich, I placed the remaining long pieces of cardboard. I don't know if the bottom layer was really necessary.

An 8 foot ladder, padded at the upper end with a thick towel, was used to climb onto the cardboard on the trailer roof. I crawled around on the cardboard to do the work, but one could stand if one had good balance.

I could detect no distortion of the aluminum skin.

Nick Meloy

nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #27
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Thanks for the suggestions about ladders. 2air, I need one to reach the roof because if I have it, as w7ts says, I will never have to go up there while on the road.

I'm figuring on buying ladder in the spring or late winter, so I'm in the investigation phase. w7ts, have you tried using the ladder yet?

More suggestions?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:28 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions about ladders. 2air, I need one to reach the roof because if I have it, as w7ts says, I will never have to go up there while on the road.

I'm figuring on buying ladder in the spring or late winter, so I'm in the investigation phase. w7ts, have you tried using the ladder yet?

More suggestions?

Gene
Hi Gene,
I haven't tried it yet. I'm waiting for it to warm up or quit snowing.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #29
_

. , .
looked and tried the telescoping ladders (like the telesteps) but passed.

the issue is they are SINGLE side ladders and need to lean up against something.

so working from the patio awning side is fine but either end cap or non awning parts on the street side are a problem.

i've also been on the stream roof dozens of time but would NOT use the telescoping ladder for that purpose.

not enough base stability, and the upper end isn't designed well for CLIMBING off or back on...

ymmv, but for routine CLIMBING onto the top, a LARGE stable A frame or extending house ladder is needed.

the 'little giant' types also work well because the TOP section can be folded onto the stream as a platform.

but these are hardly 'compact' for travel hauling.

anyone approaching 70 might wanna pay a youngster to climb on the roof.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #30
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
anyone approaching 70 might wanna pay a youngster to climb on the roof.
Not so decrepit as you might imagine, I can still do a few things. I plan on training my young trophy wife to climb up on the roof and do the work up there while I direct her from my combination rocker/wheel chair while I sip gin and tonics. I figure the training (i.e., convincing) time will be about 20 years. If that doesn't work, it'll be time for a cherry picker.

I have household extension ladders including an ancient one made of wood that are good for roof climbing, but for travel I want something for those (hopefully) rare times when I have to fix a leak or something else on the roof. I did hire a youngster last spring when I had a leak (different from "had to take a…") at a tire shop in Minnesota—he had ladder and caulking gun and did a good job for $20 (I got the caulk). If it were an RV shop, it probably would have cost $40.

One other matter—compare "hex's" writing style with 2air's. Could "hex" have transmogrified into 2air'?

Gene
Old 12-06-2009, 04:03 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
I plan on training my young trophy wife to climb up on the roof and do the work up there while I direct her from my combination rocker/wheel chair while I sip gin and tonics. I figure the training (i.e., convincing) time will be about 20 years. If that doesn't work, it'll be time for a cherry picker.
If that doesn't work you could trade er in for a new model.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #32
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
If that doesn't work you could trade er in for a new model.
I think the cheapest trade in would be a new model ladder; new trailer, second least expensive; wife, priceless.

Perhaps a collapsible ramp would be better than a ladder—I could drive a supercharged Hoveround up it.

Gene

« large vent | Top | A/S Roof »