Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Belly Pans & Banana Wraps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
Why a Belly Pan In The First Place???

To "ME" the "Belly Pan" on our trailers is purely an appearance feature that while it looks KOOL causes nothing but PROBLEMS!!!

Those PROBLEMS come in many forms to include a major area of exterior aluminum shell damage and repair. Difficulty in accessing needed utilities for repair and servicing. Water collection retention in the pan and batted insulation installed under the floor. Lower ground clearance issues for the trailer. Added rust issues to the frame caused by the water retention and on and on!

Given these MANY PROBLEMS we see caused by the enclosed belly pan designed into and installed upon our Argosy and Airstream trailers leads to my question:

Other than a possible exterior trailer appearance issue that can be resolved with skirting why in the world would anyone "Restoring or Repairing" present damage in an Argosy or Airstream trailer re-install a full belly pan into their trailer knowing full well they are causing the same problem they just previously repaired to once again begin it's relentless march towards the destruction of your trailer???

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Areodynamics is the reason its there .

Besides it took 40 years to mess with your trailer. My trailer is now 50 years old and has no damage inside the belly pan.

If you leave the belly pan off your trailer be sure to undercoat your floor and chassis.

Don’t like batt insulation, use 2” ridged foam with foil bonded to both sides board cut to fit between the frame and screwed up to the floor .

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Insulation value. Nice to have when the temperatures drop.

Trapped water is easy to take care of. As I have posted before, 1/8" holes drilled in the low spots of the belly pan allows water to drain out quickly. A stop on the drill bit is a good idea to keep it from puncturing something or tangling in any fiberglass insulation.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
To "ME" the "Belly Pan" on our trailers is purely an appearance feature that while it looks KOOL causes nothing but PROBLEMS!!!

Those PROBLEMS come in many forms to include a major area of exterior aluminum shell damage and repair. Difficulty in accessing needed utilities for repair and servicing. Water collection retention in the pan and batted insulation installed under the floor. Lower ground clearance issues for the trailer. Added rust issues to the frame caused by the water retention and on and on!

Given these MANY PROBLEMS we see caused by the enclosed belly pan designed into and installed upon our Argosy and Airstream trailers leads to my question:

Other than a possible exterior trailer appearance issue that can be resolved with skirting why in the world would anyone "Restoring or Repairing" present damage in an Argosy or Airstream trailer re-install a full belly pan into their trailer knowing full well they are causing the same problem they just previously repaired to once again begin it's relentless march towards the destruction of your trailer???
Exactly why I did not reinstall the belly pan on my '67 Overlander.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:13 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Columbus , Montana
It also keeps animals like mice from accessing your coach. Very useful here in Montana.
Ingstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:13 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
I'll be replacing it and all the materials it's covering, coatings on the frame, insulation etc. etc. are far superior. It's going last way longer than the first 40yrs so I'll be like a 100 yrs old and won't care

Protection from cold, filth, aerodynamics are pretty solid reasons as already stated.
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingstad View Post
It also keeps animals like mice from accessing your coach. Very useful here in Montana.
In the South it gives animals like mice a nice cozy place to LIVE!

Old 12-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
Aero dynamics are a big part of it. If you didn't have it the trailer could easily catch air in cross winds and lift up much like belly pans on performance cars.
vanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:01 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanster View Post
Aero dynamics are a big part of it. If you didn't have it the trailer could easily catch air in cross winds and lift up much like belly pans on performance cars.
High winds with 40 mph gusts predicted around here for the weekend. If I have time, I'll hook up my trailer and do some high speed runs into the cross winds and see what happens. Video will be posted if my trailer catches air lifts up.

Good arguments on both sides of the belly pan issue.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Lawrenceville , Georgia
It has nothing to do with ground clearance. With that said, leave it off. Btw, do you live or camp in cold environs? If so, that is a big factor. Happy travels!
fwjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I don't believe the belly pan is for aero...no one pulls a trailer fast enough for a belly pan to make a damn.

it helps with freezing temps. Remember the furnace it ducted to the belly pan to help keep tanks from freezing. No help if the furnace is blowing into open space.

It also protects the insulation under the floor.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #12
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California

No, travel conservatively. Drive safe on the track! Go fast on the course!

Yes, a nice looking AS will always turn heads and make smiles.

Yes, you will break hearts if you do not return a coach to the general appearance and function of the original. Dzus fasteners to take off the pan for repairs - better insulation as was suggested - close off all the holes so the mice don't get to hitch-hike - vent the pan to dry it out/drain it.

Travel safe - come to Laguna Seca - enjoy those smiles from a reno well done. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:51 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Very few if any other manufacturer's have "Belly Pan's" installed on their RV trailers yet they have found a way to insulate the floor against the hot/cold.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Other manufacturers have a 2x2 wood frame on top of the frame rails with insulation in it and a wrap underneath. They need this because the walls are not fastened to the chassis just the floor.
The framed floor adds weight but more detrimental is the additional 1.5” of air drag. Airstream’ floor system with the underbelly is superior just expensive.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:30 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Moose Jaw , Saskatchewan
Oh that belly pan, why is it there ?
Many of the reasons are already listed some I find valid because of personal experience others I have to take your word for it. The one that gives me pause is floor insulation and heat retention, there is so little insulation under the floor & the furnace puts very little heat under the floor that reason is suspect.
I have our International parked in a rural area for years and NEVER had a mouse get in - that is my reason for not messing with the belly pan - why tempt fate.
Popcornkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcornkid View Post
Oh that belly pan, why is it there ?
Many of the reasons are already listed some I find valid because of personal experience others I have to take your word for it. The one that gives me pause is floor insulation and heat retention, there is so little insulation under the floor & the furnace puts very little heat under the floor that reason is suspect.
I have our International parked in a rural area for years and NEVER had a mouse get in - that is my reason for not messing with the belly pan - why tempt fate.
That's like saying the AS shell should only have 1 skin as the 1" worth of insulation between does nothing. Well, it doesn't do too much, so the floor is the least of my worries. But same idea - a little more insulation is better than none.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Very few if any other manufacturer's have "Belly Pan's" installed on their RV trailers yet they have found a way to insulate the floor against the hot/cold.

Yes, they leave the backing of the insulation or a cheap fabric cover exposed.

Ten years later they are in the junk yard.

I see a 1977 year model trailer listed on your profile, I guess this is the trailer you are working on. That's 41 years.

One would be hard pressed to find an SOB that is worth even a new tail light.

"Just sayin", in my old man attempt at remaining cool.

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:50 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lexington , Kentucky
I AGREE...in our re-do we hand sanded all the older floor bracing (replaced about a 3rd with new), used Rust Oleum primer, dried for a week and painted black and then undercoated the floor. Sure it gets wet BUT doesn't stay wet!
The Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:43 AM   #19
Lookin' to Boondock

1975 27' Overlander
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Send a message via MSN to 03enduro
Not aerodynamic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
I don't believe the belly pan is for aero...no one pulls a trailer fast enough for a belly pan to make a damn.

it helps with freezing temps. Remember the furnace it ducted to the belly pan to help keep tanks from freezing. No help if the furnace is blowing into open space.

It also protects the insulation under the floor.

Regards,

JD
With all due respect, aerodynamics are not to “go fast”. When you’re running into the wind with a sheet of plywood, you’re going to find less resistance to the 3/4” edge than the 4x8 face.

Drag reduction = increased fuel economy
03enduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:45 AM   #20
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
A lot of batt fibreglass insulation is hydroscopic and once it soaks up the water, it stays wet and soggy for a long time (and wet batts aren't much of an insulator either)
It is used because it is light, cheap and easy to fit
Trip map at Spotwalla
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote